All member reviews for Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

A family deals with racism in a Mississippi town.

Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written by4hunters August 16, 2010

I love this book. I loved it when I was in the target audience, I loved using it as a read-aloud with middle schoolers in Georgia as part of our advising time, and I loved listening to it on audiobook in the car with my children last week. There is plenty to learn about the time, but there are also ongoing themes about children choosing their friends, how to be a good friend and an honorable person, how individuals can empower themselves and each other in an unjust world. Over and over we understand that one does not have to act a certain way, just because one is part of a certain group. We also come to understand that even those who seem to be in opposition to us may also have redeeming features; that we may work together on the things we *do* have in common. Contrary to Jesusrulz666, I found that the messages throughout were about individuals making daily choices about themselves, their friends, their actions, and about how those choices affect both the people around them and their communities one step removed; not about government knowing best at all. My younger daughter is just 8, so hearing this book all at once (in 2 7-hour car rides) with everyone together for stop-and-explain times, worked for her. She would not have been ready to read it on her own, and she's already had some exposure to Jim Crow and desegregation (notably Ruby Bridges book and movie). My older daughter (11) had already read it before we listened.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiss rocker October 9, 2010

I loved it. The book is educational as it is based on life in mississippi in the 1940's and the charectors in the book are good role models as they stand up for what they believe is right , they have self respect for them selves and show it to others that deserve it to. It may have racist comments in them but there are people from both of the race's communities that disagree with it. The book shows that racism is wrong and they you should'nt accept it . Mildred Taylor has portrayed many charcters in this book using them to show about the morals and the ways of living in ' the old south ' .
Teen, 13 years old Written byWaluigi77 May 27, 2011

The suckiest book ever, do not allow your children to read this book

I am a 7th grader reviewing this. First of all, I was forced to read this at school and i read the whole book and just finished it today, IT SUCKED!!! Do not allow your kids to read this book because the N word was used 19 times throughout the book and not once the N word was censored and the H word was used uncensored also! This book has several racist remarks. The chapters are WAAAY TOO LONG!!(I AM NOT BEING DUMB!), This book overall doesn't deserve the newberry award and it should not be considered a "Childrens book". If you are looking for a book for your child to read, Get The BFG instead. Oh! and i am Waluigi7
Teen, 13 years old Written byavidcritc April 9, 2008

very important but sometimes boring

i think this is a really important book for kids to read, especially if they are racist. it would really make a difference to their attitude if they started looking at the people they scorn (or worse) as just that- people. however, it might have been more effective if the author didn't bog you down with lots of background history and information that doesn't directly apply to the story- it kind of turned me off.
Teen, 13 years old Written byToriClemens97 April 28, 2011

This is a great book that is set in the 1930s. Mildred Taylor is a great author who is not afraid to tell about what happen to many Afriacan Americans before, and durring the time set within the book. Altough Taylor has used some strong language in the book such as negro and n****r. Roll of Tunder Hear My Cry has a positive message but somewhat lacks in having supportive roll models. There is some violence in the book such as burnings, whippings, instants that involve the K.K.K., and disrespect between white and black like it was back in the 1900s.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2011

I would reccomend this to any middle schooler.

I'm reading this book for my 7th grade class and ADORE it. The book highlights the struggles of the Depression from the veiw of a young black girl. To those who disapprove of the content, just think about how much worse it would be if it were an older African-American protagonist. I'm sure the violence would become unbearable and the language's "vulgarity" would increase ten-fold. The racism in this book is likely muted and more subtleties made to the themes of violence in order to make this story readable. Besides, media today is constantly releasing more provocative and offensive things to younger and younger audiences. While the book has its share of slow scenes, every sentence is filled with meaning--whether it be of love and loyalty or on the horrors of violence and racism. The law plays a powerful role in this as well, and the differences have an impact on how the reader reflects on how much things have changed since then, especially on how short the time since then really is. It's amazing to me how many themes could be fit into so little pages, and described with such simplicity. Coming a young black student who aspires to be an author, I thought the book was brilliantly written and inspiring.
Adult Written bybgambi2 June 18, 2011

Important

This book was one of my favorite's when I read it in my 6th grade class. At first, because of the language, my class giggled and wondered at how we could ever be reading this book in my small, catholic school. Right away my teacher told us to grow up or get out. This is an important book. Some feel it is too detailed and racist to be introduced to such a young crowd. But kids are introduced to these things regardless and usually much sooner than 6th grade whether it be via classmates or their own families. Kids should learn about things such racism, lynching, lying, and everything else parents oppose in this book. They should be taught so they can appreciate people different from themselves. They should be taught so they can understand that although horrible things were done before their time and to this day take place, even if in a different form, they can change how things happen from now on even in small ways. When I was in class reading this, and it was read outloud by the students, my teacher would not let us skip over or censor any words. The swear words we didn't mind saying and smiled to ourselves when we said them. The racist words, and there were so many, made us uncomfortable, nervous, ashamed, sympathetic, and eventually respectful. This book confronts uncomfortable subjects. But uncomfortable subjects usually are the most important.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2011

A Great Book!

Just yesterday, we were assigned this book for literature studies. The first chapter is so good. It basically brings you right to the scene of the book. So far, there aren't any main concerns, however it is dealt with racism, basically blacks against whites. Which to me I think that younger kids wouldn't quite have the knowledge yet to understand.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysillycomb March 23, 2011

Great for middle school historical fiction

I thought that this was a good book. I rate it on for age 12. When black men were set on fire, tarred and feathered, etc. It was usually either they were unfairly blamed or if it was over such a small thing. The use of the 'n' word also wasn't good, especially the way Kaleb Wallace was talking. The night men are really hard on T.J.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymizzcutiepielove February 11, 2011

i love the book but it kind of raciest because the white kid slapsh the cassise and lilman and tj and chisterjhon. then all of them prank the whites and dig an hole for when their bus went by the bus got suck lol,and at the began it says n**** then in chapter 3 its says n**** n*******! am black !
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveJayda February 10, 2011

I have to read this book for English, and it is great so far. As an African American student I can be grateful that I didn't live back then. There are some iffy racist words like N*****r and things but it's a good historical fiction book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylimited modified 08 February 12, 2013

Roll Of Thunder Hear My cry

i thaught the book was pointless. i didnt really like the book because it didnt have enough historical examples. Without images it did not help me understand how black people got treated. Mildred taylor should give more information on the wallace and the simms and harlan granger.
Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2012

omg! N word again and again

first of all.........Can you say LANGUAGE!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bymatthew wilson42034 December 8, 2011

good book

the best book ever u should read it
Kid, 11 years old July 20, 2010

i love it i read it for my summer reading book it is the best black history book
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

A Realistic and Emotional Read!

Cassie Logan's family has the land. They're the only black family around that do. They have collateral no one else even dreams of having. But that doesn't mean they don't face problems. Taxes, friendships, racism, and stuggle outline this sharp and emotional drama that serves as sort of a TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD for younger audiences. There is some violence. Fires, gunshots, torches, and broken limbs, though nothing is graphic. The threat of lynching looms over all. Langauge is infrequent, but "ni***r" is used about 5 or 6 times. A good read. Highly recommended.
Adult Written byAyaBCon March 29, 2012

The Use of Profanity

All the complaints about the use of the "n" word worry me. The story is set in 1930's Deep South. What words did you think the racist white folks where going to use? It would be a failure as a book dealing with such a topic if it softened the launguage. It provides a clear view from a childs vioce of the horrors that occured during that time period.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjdog_tells_no_lies March 14, 2012

roll of thunder hear my cry

This book is, a terrible book that makes southern families seem as if they were evil. I honestly regret ever reading this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleftbehindcrazed8 January 24, 2012

Great, with some language + violence

This is a great historical book that will keep readers interested. (I finished it in one night!) What I am quite surprised about is that CS did not catch language - which is the N word. Although, it is used the way that people in the 1930s would use it, so I understand why she used it. There is also some violence, for a young teen is tortured and possibly hung. Overall, great book and very educational about racism and prejudice!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byi dispise rothmc December 6, 2011