All member reviews for Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

A family deals with racism in a Mississippi town.

Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2011

I would reccomend this to any middle schooler.

I'm reading this book for my 7th grade class and ADORE it. The book highlights the struggles of the Depression from the veiw of a young black girl. To those who disapprove of the content, just think about how much worse it would be if it were an older African-American protagonist. I'm sure the violence would become unbearable and the language's "vulgarity" would increase ten-fold. The racism in this book is likely muted and more subtleties made to the themes of violence in order to make this story readable. Besides, media today is constantly releasing more provocative and offensive things to younger and younger audiences. While the book has its share of slow scenes, every sentence is filled with meaning--whether it be of love and loyalty or on the horrors of violence and racism. The law plays a powerful role in this as well, and the differences have an impact on how the reader reflects on how much things have changed since then, especially on how short the time since then really is. It's amazing to me how many themes could be fit into so little pages, and described with such simplicity. Coming a young black student who aspires to be an author, I thought the book was brilliantly written and inspiring.
Kid, 12 years old May 9, 2010

sad book is good and covers sad topics such as: abuse, fighting, debt, death, vilonce, and racism

I just finished with the book roll of thunder hear my cry and it was a pritty good book. I think kids that read it will get a pritty good view on what rascism is and how much of an afect it had on african americans back in the 1930's. My only concern with this book would be the vilonce. the vilonce includes: a man being burnt, children being whipped, children fighting mentally and physically, land being set on fire, black people being threatened, parents losing there jobs and getting into debt, a man being shot, and a young child is hung at the end. So abiously the book isn't for anyone under the age of 10 but when your child does turn 10 this would be a good book to try.
Adult Written byliterary rebel March 20, 2010

proper disgust

After reading this book I would only recomment it to those who enjoy horror and torment of others. Paying attention was the most difficultpart of reading it. This book was horrible and its sequel was worse. I would say it is sutable for children 10 and older but I must say that they won't enjoy it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byteen_reader February 8, 2010

This is a really good book for those who love alot of excitement. This book gives a really good message to all young readers about the past.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycreative kid April 9, 2008

A good-read

I read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry in class this year. I was anxious to begin reading because the title just drew me in. When I began reading, I must admit I was disappionted but as I read on, I decided that it was a truely good book. Though some parts are rough, that's how things really were and kids need to understand that. Some content could be questionable for young readers, this book is a very good read and I'd recommend it.
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2014

Amazing

This book is definitely a book that you should read. It hooks you in every turn of the page with descriptive passages and makes you think of what happened.
Kid, 11 years old August 27, 2013

roll thunder hear my cry

it the best
Teen, 16 years old Written byshay4ever June 10, 2013

from what i remember it was entertaining

Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2013

From a Sixth Grader, it gets a like!

I am twelve years old, and my grade is reading this in English. The first chapter is VERY well written in my opinion. I felt as if i could build a setting from the details explained by Mildred Taylor. As if i was the fifth Logan, just following closely behind hearing, and watching every word or movement. I would recommend this to mature 4th Graders even, because of the content, that as the youngest. Bottom line, great book!
Kid, 12 years old August 10, 2012

Good book for some people...

I read it for school. It was ok... it you know alot of words.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDenise12321 May 13, 2012

Roll Of Thunder

it is very interesting. i had to read it for a book report and i like it a lot.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysillyzebra5 April 18, 2012

Good...ish

It was okay, but the language was horrible. I was very surprised we were reading this as a class in 6th grade. It does, however, open a reader's eyes to a different kind of lifestyle.
Kid, 11 years old February 1, 2012

Such a good book

this is such a good book and it does deserve a new berry honor so what if it says the N word Mildred taylor is just making a point isn't that what they called black people back then let the circle be unbroken and the road to memphis is also good im only giving it a 10 because it has southern talk that for younger is hard to understand
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2012

roll of thunder hear my cry

its a really good book i think everyone should read common sense make you think its a bad book but its not it made me cry in some parts its talk about racial hatred it should be a shameful time in american history also read the sequels let the circle be unbroken and the last one the road to memphis best history book about racism ever so what if they say the N word thats what the white people called them taylor is just tryin to make it realistic and good
Kid, 11 years old January 21, 2012

A very good book

it has a lot of racism and violence plus they say the ''N'' word but its a really good book
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2011

my reveiw

I loved the book it is one of the best books i have ever read taking into acount it does have some language, drinking , and drug reference but over all it is a good book and has a very good moral
Parent Written byprettygirl1 July 15, 2011

greaty

it is a good book because it teaches kids how far we have came.
Teen, 13 years old Written byluunatikk March 13, 2011

Teen, 13 years old Written byAneesaa March 6, 2011

teens

love it, its a good ecucational nook tellign us about what happened in the 1920's missisippi.
Teen, 14 years old Written byerika1 November 15, 2010

oh....I love this book it is one of my favorite