All member reviews for Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

A family deals with racism in a Mississippi town.

Teen, 13 years old Written byluunatikk March 13, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written byAneesaa March 6, 2011

teens

love it, its a good ecucational nook tellign us about what happened in the 1920's missisippi.
Teen, 14 years old Written byerika1 November 15, 2010
oh....I love this book it is one of my favorite
Kid, 11 years old May 3, 2010

Great Book!

I love this book! I had to read it for school and it's a lot better than it looks. It does include Lynch Mobs and bad words like the d word and n word but pther than that it's great. Be prepared because this book reveals a lot of horrifing things that happened after the Civil War. Things that the white did were terrible. I love this book. Along with alittle violence but caring characters (besides white people and T.J.) this equals an excellent novel!
Teen, 15 years old Written byyjieyp March 26, 2010

Great book, good message, a bit much...

The fact is, it's historical fiction. Yes, there is violence, and yes, there is "language," but keeping your children from this is not going to help them any. Things like this really happened, and kids should know that they did. It has a good message against racism. Unlike the reviewer below me, i don't think you have to "enjoy the horror and torment of others" to like this book. The fact that there is violence shows the strength they showed and their will to stand up against their oppressors, no matter the concequences. As far as the ending, it shows the concequences of T.J.'s dishonest lifestyle.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAmy Patel March 4, 2010
love it? best example of racism!!! got to read it!!!
Adult Written byJoshuabooks January 19, 2010

Excelent!

Amazingly well done-great plot, extremely developed characters, and suspenseful enough to keep you on edge at times, but also calming and hypnotic at other moments. Great Job, Mildred D. Taylor!
Teen, 13 years old Written byiiRaShaD September 24, 2009
its very good even though i am a kid i understand her struggles in a time of this sort
Teen, 13 years old Written bykrazypanda June 26, 2009
Parent of a 2, 3, 4, 11, 11, and 15 year old Written bylover4 June 2, 2009

lol

lol i love it
Teen, 15 years old Written byDemoGrammatic April 8, 2009

The Colloquialism

This book isn't bad. It stages the hard life of of being a girl which is hard in America but things are even worse when she is black. It's quite sad to hear that even the dark skinned children are bullied even by the teacher. Racism is a very strong topic in this book and in life. This book has a message. Have you discovered the message. This isn't about how adventurous the story is. It's the sad story of people who aren't accepted because of their look. Very inspirational. I recommend this for more mature people who understand that it isn't funny.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynatedogg March 6, 2009

loved it

first of all this book has no sex in it and it is very insprational about a family sticking together no matter what
Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2009

Very Inspirational!

This book can be described in many adjectives. One of the strongest is emotional. This book is mainly about race relationships, in which Cassie and her family struggle in life because of their skin color. This book also shows how family, friends, and community are the most important aspects of life. There are many sad times in this novel and few happy, but that shouldn't stop you from reading this powerful story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFiction Fanactic20 November 29, 2008

I Learned as I read!

I read Roll Of Thunder Hear My Cry at school as part of my Year 9 work on Slavery and Segregation. At the start of the book I couldn't be bothered to read along, but after a few pages I was gripped! Cassie is an amazing young woman character whose curious personality on the subject of Segregation and Slavery made you learn as she did. A Great read I can't wait to read the sequels.
Teen, 14 years old Written byswimgirl April 9, 2008

I loved it!

My sister read this book in 8th grade and said I would like it too. Roll of Thunder Hear my Cry was awesome and I can't wait to read the book for the 3rd time this year in 8th grade!
Teen, 15 years old Written byspskater April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byKeds43@aol.com April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookWorm94 April 9, 2008

Read it in school

In school, we all had to read this book. It's not my favorite, but it can teach you something. We all had to make short "movies" of a sceen or two in the book. It was fun. I would recomend this book to kids ages 11+
Teen, 13 years old Written bykkzozo987 April 9, 2008

A very pwuerful book

I have to say i read it in school and it movered me ! All the stuff they did to blacks were amzing (in a bad way) some parets i wanted to cry. i cant eaven put it in wordes u just have to read this book (I am white and i think what they did to thoes peple was just mean!)

a must read book =] even if u hate bookss REAAD !

THIS Book is very sad it is depressing since black did not have equal rites which was very unfair because they are the same as us and we look different but are a like in the insided read this book to find out more about this awesome book!