Newbery Honor Book is moving and thought-provoking.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written bybellingen July 18, 2009

Great Coming of Age Title, Great Fun!

This is a great "coming of age" book. It would make an excellent read aloud for families or classes of kids gr. 4 and higher. There would be many excellent discussion points. It is lots of fun, but with a good message, too. This is the author's debut novel, she has excellent writing style; I hope to read more from her!
Kid, 9 years old February 13, 2009

Great!

What IS Mibs savvy (what this special family calls their "magical power")? If you read this book that is probably a question you will be asking yourself. I really liked this book. I think this is a good book for seven and up (strong readers). If you don't like magic this is not a good book for you, as it is about a family with magical powers. Otherwise it is a great book for every one!
Kid, 10 years old September 4, 2009

Amazing!

I loved this book! Its good to read before bed beacuse all my other books are about murder and stuff like that. So, this book was good to read before I went to bed!I love how the book has suspense and is very interestng!
Kid, 10 years old May 23, 2012

Awesome for tweens!

There's definitely more content for tweens. In the book, there are at least 3 kisses (one of which results in the boy getting slapped), an ex-girlfriend who calls Lester "stupid", tatoos, a homeless man that the author insinuates is drunk (younger kids may not notice this), & Will's older sister is a little boy crazy. It's OK for tweens, but I would say 9 is kind of pushing it. This is a great book that I really enjoyed. I like that it's realistic in a way, but unrealistic in other ways. I'm just starting to be a tween & a lot of the content is perfect for my age & older. There's so much to the story that makes for extremely interesting reading. I do think that the content I mentioned above makes the book more interesting.
Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian gurl May 1, 2011

I say 10+ It's really good though, it won a newbery award

They kiss in the pool The he*l is mentioned once, there's a girl with a punk attitude with temporary tattoos
Kid, 10 years old February 26, 2011

Perfect fo tweens, but to confusing for kids 5 and under.

Best book ever! Perfect for 4th graders.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFun4Me January 27, 2011

Thought-provoking and funny

It was a well put together book. It was thought-provoking and I even recommended it to my siblings at home! I think all kids should get this book. However, you probably would have to bring a dictionary around when you read this book because they use some funny slang of some sort that might be confusing for some.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrooky30 March 8, 2010

Perfect for Imagination Building

I loved this book because it created a world for your imagination. It left you wondering what the end of the book would bring. I imagined what savvy I would have, and how I would use it.
Kid, 12 years old October 31, 2014

Savvy By: Ingrid Law

I think that this is an amazing coming of age book. Any child who loves a great adventure (with a slight hint of romance!) would absolutely love this book. The way Ingrid Law writes and sets everything up, it makes turning the page an adventure in itself! I highly recommend!!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old May 3, 2014

great thought provoking book

I thouroughly disagreed by the intial review for this book, it had many positive messages about right and wrong, and thinking before acting that make it an inappropriate book for a nine yr. Old. I think part of growing up is learning how to make decisions correctly, and this book certainly emphasizes that.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 22, 2012

Amazing book!

This was one of my favorite books that I read as a tween (twelve). It never gets boring and I love the story. It's so original. I highly recommend you read it!
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2012

savvy

i love this author and her books even though i think scumble was a little better but there both good
Teen, 13 years old Written bymini39 January 25, 2012

the best book for all!

This book is for everyone. its a family kind of book that doesn't have any flaws in it. every one will enjoy this book!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysammy4488 January 16, 2012

just ok

This book was just ok. I liked the whole magic thing, that was pretty cool, and I liked Mibs savvy. But for me the book didn't really pop. Don't get me wrong, it was good, it just really wasn't exciting and it lost me at some parts...a bit slow for me. I think a lot of young readers would like it but once you start hitting the 13 year old mark it starts to lose its sparkle.
Kid, 11 years old November 28, 2011

Wonderful Book!

This is a great book! I loved it. Kids who are younger than 9 could read it because it is not inappropriate but it wouldn't mean as much to them if they were older. It is a great coming-of-age book too. It is amazing and I really wonder what my savvy would be.
Kid, 12 years old November 17, 2011

Good read

I think that it could be bad dor younger kids because they might not understand the concept of a savvy.
Educator Written byBookersbuddy September 26, 2011

Savvy is Savvy

Everyone is special in some way
Educator and Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written byMarlamama May 17, 2011

We love this book!

We loved this book! I bought a hardcover when it came out, and it was completely worn out and ragged, it was read so many times. The characters are mostly tweens, and are discovering themselves, and who they are. The story is delightful, and the lessons the kids learn about themselves are great to relate to.
Parent Written byZMW March 31, 2011