Does for werewolves what Twilight did for vampires.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byTeacherlady10 January 21, 2010

WATCH OUT PARENTS!!!

As a high school English teacher I was shocked, disappointed and actually horrified at the glamorization and romantization of inappropriate sexual behavior between these teenagers. What are you reviewers thinking about using the word "tastefully"? There is no such thing as tasteful sex between teenagers. Have we all lost our minds these days?
Teen, 14 years old Written byVeldori November 8, 2009

Beautiful, enthralling piece of literature.

This book is, hands down, beyond the slightest shred of a doubt, the most breathtaking, beautiful, solemn, heartbreaking piece of literature gold that I have ever beheld in my entire life. More so than Harry Potter, Maximum Ride, Silverwing, Julie of the Wolves, and Warriors put together. It has struck me to the core, more moving than any melody, lyric, or song that I have heard. In its entirety, this book is beyond comprehensive thought. I cannot express in words how I feel about this book. The writing has a smooth, lyrical flow, but the story in itself is complex. Fans are calling it the "new Twilight", but it is so much more than that. Twilight was literature junk - Shiver is the most beautiful book I have ever had the pleasure of reading.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMizKitty January 26, 2011

What was Ms. Stiefvater Thinking

This book is totally not on for kids 13+. The youngsters that read this book should know that sex is a bad thing to do at seventeen and eighteen. Also that they should never be like these horrible people that Ms. Stiefvater has written about. The few pages in the book that had the part where Grace and Sam had sex was not supposed to be in a preteen to young adult book. There are no details, which I guess is good, but they still aren't good role models. Their language is not okay for a thirteen year-old, though. The message that this book the Ms. Stiefvater has written sends out the message is that it is perfectly save to have boys sleep in your bed without your parents permission and have sex with them and that message is not okay. What was Ms. Stiefvater thinking. Wtiting a book with that type of material in a book for preteens, teens and young adults. It just infuriates me that some human beings are just so daft. Those are the only comments from MizKitty!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byCiave December 30, 2010

Perfect for Teens

I highly recommend this book. Maggie Stiefvater is such an AMAZING writer.
Parent of a 3, 6, and 9 year old Written byNikkiHobbs June 19, 2010

Romance/ Supernatural/ Love story/ Wolves

Once I started this book I could not put it down, it's a fast read. I LOVED it! The characters are loveable, you just want everything to go their way and turn out right. It was a different take on werewolves.The wolves were just so mesmerizing. The book showcased, neglect from parents, Abuse, friendship, bonding, there is just so much emotion in this book. There is a little violence, a small sex scene, but for the most part it's just a breathtaking love story. I loved the switching back and forth between Grace and Sam's pointofview, it's nice to know what both main characters are thinking. The Author is amazing! I think Maggie Stiefvater has one of the most beautiful writing styles. I was lucky enough to get to read an ARC of Linger and the second book is just as amazing as the first! You will not be dissapointed!
Kid, 10 years old April 5, 2011
My online friend recommended this book and I'm 10 almost 11 do u guys think I'll like this book p.s. I know alot more than most 10 year olds and I am more mature than most. So tell me what y'all think?
Teen, 13 years old Written byLinger1 December 25, 2010

Perfect for young teens

I love this book!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 September 5, 2012

shiver

Families can talk about what it is that makes Grace and Sam so drawn to one another. When Sam transforms from human to wolf, will he retain what it is that makes Grace love him? What is unique about humans that sets us apart from other animals? What can we learn about ourselves from observing and interacting with animals?
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2011

Scared ,about the DEATH of WOLVES

I think that the book is okay but it does have a few swear words within the book but i think it still has a good imagination in the book but i doesn't make sense if the book is called shiver and there are wolves in it then why does it keep on going back to school and home.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBookNookUnited January 20, 2011

Perfect for teens, iffy for tweens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byshinya.fan January 1, 2011

Ehh...

This book is really predictable, and to be honest, a let-down. It's well written, but it's just a fluffy romance. This website is horribly mistaken by labeling this as "horror." As the only horror this book contains is the predictable, done many times over plot. If you're looking for a girl meets boy, boy and girl fall for each other insanely rapidly book, with the occasional beautified "werewolf" thrown in, I guess this would be your book.
Adult Written bychloesaunders August 14, 2010

great werewolf book

its a pretty good werewolf book. people should read this book.i liked it a lot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTwilightluver16 March 4, 2010

Great book!!!

I luved this book it was soooooo good!!! I read where theres gonna be another one coming out in July called Linger the second book in the series!!!! Also theres gonna be a movie coming out to Shiver!!!!! Im soooooo excited!!
Kid, 12 years old September 25, 2014

Awesome book for romance genre

This book was very poetic in a sense of writing, I very much enjoyed the book. Although there is some swearing in the book and also the main characters have sex, so it all depends on the parent whether or not they want their kids to be exposed to this but hands down I loved this book.
Kid, 11 years old October 26, 2009

a great read

i loved this book!!!!!! its so good. twilight lovers(like me) would love this book. you can relate to the charaters.
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2011

great book appropriat for tweens

this is a fantastic book
Teen, 14 years old Written byB-Ball-Lover May 5, 2011
I love this book! My friend Trystian recomended it to me. I think that i have read it a total of 7 times. It is AMAZING!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byemqueen March 23, 2011

...

i loved this book! Maggie Stiefvater is an amazing writer
Parent of a 13 and 17 year old Written byReni July 1, 2010
I loved the book!!
Parent of a 2 and 3 year old Written byreadresponsibly June 4, 2010

Beautifully written, not appropriate for young teens

Maggie Stiefvater is an incredible writer, uses metphors beautifully, and really pulls you into the story. The story, I thought, was good. However, as a parent I would also have to agree with the other parents: I didn't like that Grace and Sam slept together throughout the novel in her bedroom. (I didn't like it in Twilight either.) I didn't like the teenage sex. And so, would I call Grace a good role model? Probably not.