All member reviews for Show Way

Beautiful story, from slavery to freedom.

Age

Teen, 13 years old Written bybokey lover January 22, 2009

I was really touched and moved

This book has really torched me because, it tells a real story about real ppl. and it like moves u and u think like that’s sad and u want to now what happens next so u like read on cause u want to find out, if they live happily ever after or not .
Parent of a 3 and 10 year old Written byHilary Cruise May 17, 2010

prefect for younger kids

I loved it and so didnt my 3 and my 10 year old children
Parent of a 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 year old Written byk.kenna February 3, 2011

Adult Written bysnowbound February 2, 2012

Excellent Read

I just read Show Way as multicultural children's book and was very pleased. I enjoyed the wonderful illustrations that brought each text to life on every page. I especially enjoyed the fact that it allowed for long conversation about brave women who never stopped believing in one day living a free life.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

Newbery Honor Book

Did you know African America slaves in America used quilts to depict the path of the underground railroad? This inspirational book by Jacqueline Woodson captures this story through the eyes of a little African American girl looking into her family history. The text is in a unique half-rhyme verse and pictures look like quilted pieces on each and every page. Following Soonie's great-grandma's historic enslavement, to years later when Soonie is born, this story brings to light the colors, structure, historic "jumping of the broom" and other African American slave traditions. A superb read for young readers, and something older readers will embrace with understanding, this Newbery Honor Book is Highly Recommended for Grades 3-5.