All member reviews for Slaughterhouse-Five

Teen, 13 years old Written byUmmmmm... August 1, 2009

perfrect for 10+

amazing
Teen, 17 years old Written byoctober1985 July 24, 2009

Some profanity(including the f-word) and sexual content. Actually given sometimes in schools. It's a great book and anyone over 12 should be fine with it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylecritic February 5, 2009

Awesome

This is the greatest book of all time!!!!! You have to read this!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2011

Better Than What Others Are Saying

People have no idea what they are saying. This is a great novel, written by the 20th centuries best author. It is very well written and can be taught as a role-model to others trying to learn how to write. This book may have some themes that are suggestive for immature readers, but is not a book that is limited to 15+ years. If you are a mature reader, lets say 11+, that is really looking for a true american novel, this would be one that is suited for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written by Alice July 4, 2011

Absolutely Brilliant

Slaughterhouse-Five was written by Kurt Vonnegut, who is considered to be one of the greatest writers of the 20th century. It is very thought provoking, and very well written. Some readers seem to think that the phrase "so it goes" gets annoying after a while, but I thought it was really cool how Vonnegut said it every time that death was mentioned in the book. This is a must read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byphantomphan April 9, 2008

Amazing Literature

I absolutely loved this book. Mr. Vonnegut's writing style is captivating, and he makes his point in an inventive manner. However, I would only recommend this book for teens 14 and up, as it does contain substantial profanity and sexualy material. Also, you may want to use this book as a gateway to discussing World War II with your teenagers. Ask them their opinions on what started the war; what the motivations were for each side. Ask them what they think of the bombing of Dresden. You never know, you may learn something from them.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybhart23 October 22, 2014

Disappointing

In my opinion, "Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut was not a very intriguing book. I found that this book was a very slow and uninteresting read. Although many people really enjoy reading about the historical time periods and events of this book, I do not think that this would be a great choice for reading. This book mainly talked about the main character, Billy Pilgrim's, life after he was drafted into the army in 1922. Vonnegut focused on how Billy was injected with high doses of morphine, causing him to "time trip" all throughout the book. This is mainly what was confusing about the book, because it was hard to tell when he was "time tripping" and when he was actually living in the present. The constant flashbacks were confusing because I was trying to decipher whether his flashbacks were related to his experiences in Dresden or if they were completely unrelated.
Teen, 16 years old Written byhappyginger May 15, 2013

So it Goes

My first Vonnegut read, and probably a good introduction to his work. Swearing, violence, talk of torture, sex, etc. Better for a teen on the maturer side.
Teen, 17 years old Written byziva4ever December 10, 2012

Pretty Good!!!!

I loved it..it was a bit confusing at first, but you learn to get used to the jumping around. If you want to read the book you have to be able to get past the first like 3 chapters to get to the actual good story. All in all it is great, though!!!! :) I was given it to read and do a report over in English....
Teen, 13 years old Written bySlipperyQ June 1, 2012

Absolutely Stunning

I've always loved Vonnegut, but this book is very different from his others. In most cases (Breakfast of Champions, Timequake, etc.), Vonnegut is a master of narrative distance. His stories are reminiscent of a rambling old man's fairy tales; they're very spacey and overblown. That's not the case here. This novel is special, because while most authors hide behind their stories, Vonnegut does not. We go into it expecting to see an author, but we're shocked and delighted to find a man. It feels as if he's personally sitting down to tell you his life story- but he intertwines it with his own warped perceptions of reality, painting a convoluted but beautiful picture of his own internal twistedness and the fact that - even after years and years - he never really left that morning in Dresden, when he stepped into the sunlight to find a city turned to dust overnight. "Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt." It seems, to me, that this story was the first and only of his writings to truly delve into the soul of its author. Really, this story is what writing is all about- not profit, not hobby, but to use stories about others to help us better understand ourselves, and the way this beautiful, disastrous human race eternally lives, fights, and struggles for balance. It's the best piece of Vonnegut out there.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychrome352 January 27, 2012

the best book ever

this is a really good book about war, death, time travel, revenge, and freindship there is a bit of language but it is no biggy your kid has probibly all ready heard all the words
Teen, 15 years old Written bynouse August 31, 2010

not worth ther time

i did not like it. it was 2 confusing and all over the place its concepts make no sence.
Teen, 14 years old Written by<flyboy> April 9, 2008

An Entertaining Read

Kurt Vonnegut masterfully weaves psychology and a great story with Slaughterhouse Five. Granted, I would only let mature teens read it, but it has a good message and is a fascinating novel.