A must-read for middle-schoolers to discuss.

Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2011

Quite Possibly the Best Book I Have Ever Read

This is a REALLY good book. Leo may not be the best role model, but I really think that Stargirl is because she acts like... herself, no matter what other people think of her. There are some mean characters, but Stargirl always does what she thinks is right. There is a kiss, and some hand holding and general displays of affection. Overall, a very good book for mature people to read, but not really little kids.
Kid, 12 years old November 14, 2010
I had some doubts about this book going into it. I mean, I didn't really like the sound of a book called 'Stargirl'. Man, was I wrong. Stargirl can be related to by anyone who has ever felt weird, or like they are being shunned by the entire world. (Oh, just saying, this book is probably appropriate for 9+, but I think you have to be middle-school age and up to really appreciate it.) Stargirl is a wonderful person, and the end made me get teary. Very good book.
Parent Written bySuvorov October 21, 2013

Do Not Pass this one Up!

Wow. I am going to have to extend my all time favorites list to twenty so this makes it on there. Stargirl is a story about... I don't even know how to summarize. Obviously you can read the summaries on Goodreads, Barnes & Noble and Amazon, but they wouldn't come close to explaining what you will take away from this book. I guess the closest I can come to summarizing is- Stargirl is the story of someone who marches to the beat of her own drummer and what happens when she breaks into the rigid structure of conformity that is known as high school. Before I begin my comments, please keep in mind that I am an adult. At the time of this review, I am in my early forties. So while the story is great, the parts that sing to me are completely different than what captures my 10 year old daughter's attention. Reading my comments below, you may think this book is one long intellectual quote after another, but it is not. This is a high school story with drama, crushes, mean girls, cheerleading, awkward lunch scenes, ukuleles and nose picking. I'm not kidding. I could not get through the nose picking scene without stopping several times to laugh and catch my breath, and it isn't even that long. As I was saying, despite my comments below, trust me, Stargirl is a very good book to read together with your kids, and I do emphasize 'together.' I cannot emphasize that enough. Even if you do not regularly read aloud with your child, which I highly recommend (reading that is, not the not reading), this book may be the place to start or recommence. It is short and a quick read. And you definitely want to read it with your child. It is a great opportunity to get kids to talk because I guarantee Stargirl will bring up recollections of real life incidents. This book is so incredibly beautiful. I laughed. I cried. I had to stop from time to time to take in what I had just read. The writing, phenomenal- The echo of her laughter is the second sunrise I awaken to each day, and at night I feel it is more than stars looking down on me. p148. I have to admit I am not quite up on my literary devices, but I believe the following quote is a metaphor. Please someone correct me in the comments section if I am wrong. This is not the only reference to frogs so it would make a good discussion point. I just never thought a quote that includes frogs could be so eloquent- It was wonderful to see, wonderful to be in the middle of: we mud frogs awakening all around. We were awash in tiny attentions. Small gestures, words, empathies thought to be extinct came to life. For years the strangers among us had passed sullenly in the hallways; now we looked, we nodded, we smiled. If someone got an A, others celebrated, too. If someone sprained an ankle, others felt the pain. We discovered the color of each other's eyes. It was a rebellion she led, a rebellion for rather than against. For ourselves. For the dormant mud frogs we had been for so long. p38 And while there are very funny scenes in the book, especially the nose picking scene, I know I already mentioned that but it is really funny and deserves to be mentioned twice, there are frequently quotes that are so poignant they take your breath away- It's in the morning, for most of us. It's that time, those few seconds when we're coming out of sleep but we're not really awake yet. For those few seconds we're something more primitive than what we are about to become. We have just slept the sleep of our most distant ancestors, and something of them and their world still clings to us. For those few moments we are unformed, uncivilized. We are not the people we know as ourselves, but creatures more in tune with a tree than a keyboard. We are untitled, unnamed, natural, suspended between was and will be, the tadpole before the frog, the worm before the butterfly. We are, for a few brief moments, anything and everything we could be. p85 Ahh... there are so many quotes I want to share, but I don't want to take away the joy of discovering them yourself during the course of this breathtaking story. I guess what I find most beautiful about Stargirl is how in a world that sometimes makes us feel so insignificant, we see how one person can have such a huge impact on an individual and community with only a brief presence. Do yourself a favor- read the book. On a personal note... My daughter marches to the beat of her own drummer as well, as you can see from the picture. She was about 6 years old when she started dressing herself for school and this was not even the least... unique... of her outfits. She thought she looked good. Why would I want to contradict that? I myself did not always conform to social norms, and while I truly believe I am a happier person for it, it wasn't easy. It is much harder to watch my daughter go through it. She is younger and more immature than her classmates, so she doesn't always understand why she is being punished socially for some of the things she does. When I heard about Stargirl, I thought it would be the perfect book for her to read. First, because I knew she would sympathize with Stargirl and see the situation from a larger perspective. Also, so when she sees a Stargirl, hopefully she will be more likely to befriend her rather than join the crowd in distancing themselves. As we read, she was excited when good things happened to Stargirl. She laughed at the funny things Stargirl did, not at Stargirl, but because Stargirl's behavior was fun and out of the ordinary. She became upset and indignant when Stargirl was treated poorly. I can only hope she remembers that feeling when she sees someone else being treated poorly just for being different. And I hope she remembers how much she loved Stargirl's uniqueness, finding strength and taking pride in her own when she herself is the target of less than kind behavior.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythedogdays August 3, 2012

A 6th Grade Read

Honestly, I didn't like this book. It gives a good message to the reader, that being popular isn't what is important in life. However, it wasn't a very interesting story and there is no plot to follow.
Kid, 12 years old May 2, 2011

I love it to bits!!!

It is the sweetest book in the whole world, my favorite book. Some people say it has a boring plot or it is a girly book, but that isn't true. Sure, to some it IS going to be boring. I loved Little Women and my teacher found it boring. It just depends on your personality. Don't dismiss it as a "girly" book. That is why my friend said and I nearly threw my backpack at him. Yes, there is romance, but that doesn't make it a girls-only book! He has never read it and doesn't know what it's about. I think it might be the title, "StarGIRL" that turns many boys away. She can't well name herself "Starboy," can she? It is narrated by a boy, and it does not circulate around their romance; it is about being yourself, being kind, and finding out who you are in a place where being different is not well received. And can you believe all this was written by a twelve year old? :)
Kid, 12 years old April 5, 2013

Man tears, nerd word, and awkward phases

For any on who has gone through an awkward stage, or where you have felt different from everyone else. Then, you are just the beginning of the twisting novel that made a couple of my male classmates shed a man tear. This is a beautiful story taking you through fantastically strange and twist and turns. Love this novel. Thinking about writing a screenplay, nerd word. Peace, Phebe
Teen, 15 years old Written byClearastheSea April 13, 2011

Perfect for 10+

'Stargirl' is wonderful because it shows how being different in society can both change others and turn others against you. The character of Stargirl is wonderfully unusual and inspires kids and teens to be themselves.
Adult Written byMichael Loughrie October 13, 2015

Nice story!

I like this but you should know I think 12 and up because it involves bad language and involves adult stuff. So yeah, I recommend 12 and up. It's a good story!
Kid, 12 years old October 18, 2012

just don't read this. ever

so so so so so so so so so so so so bad
Parent of a 15 year old Written byStargirl Caraway May 2, 2011

great for all ages

I love the main character. I'll give you a hint.. it's me:/ mahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 17 years old Written bytessicamillion April 28, 2011

It is a well-written book, but not very interesting.

I really didn't enjoy this book, it constantly lost my attention. I believe it has a good message, but it is simply one of those books where you keep reading to see if anything interesting happens, but nothing ever does.
Kid, 10 years old June 9, 2010

GREAT BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think stargirl is a great book for pre-teens .It has a great message about just being yourself no matter what people think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDappled_Dag April 5, 2009

Stargirl

Oh, it was ok, but I liked the second book better, even though it ruins the mysteriousness of Stargirl. It's sad that Leo wasn't in it....
Teen, 17 years old Written bynix April 9, 2008

must read, GREAT!!

It was a great book with different meanings to different people. All my friends in my book club adored this book and they couldn't put it down! A must read for anybody, it shows you that everybody goes through a stage of not knowing who they are.
Teen, 13 years old Written bynevr ben kissd April 9, 2008

really good

it tells you to stand out&be yourself, but keep it at a controllable degree.even though it wasn't my type of book,it is, now.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySavannah jones October 4, 2015

Pretty good

Stargirl in my opinion is a good book but not a great one. The reason I say this is because in the beginning of the book it was very slow. For example when the main character does something like even just walking they take forever to tell us that she is walking because they are too busy describing everything else. Some readers may love how desciptive the author was in this book but I would've enjoyed the book alot more if it weren't so slow during the beginning. The ending did catch my attention though and was worth waiting for. I chose ages ten and up to read this book the reason i chose this particular age range was because it is a child friendly book since there is no foul language or inappropriateness in the book ,but there are some word that not all younge ages will be able to read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymikethespike451 July 16, 2015

Stargirl is turning into a movie!

Stargirl is a wonderful and sweet role model! It has a sweet message and teaches kids to be theirself and to be nice to everyone! The reason why I put 12+ is because kids in Middle School will get this book more then a kid in Elementary School. Stargirl is also turning into a movie!! But unfortunately it is going to be directed by the same women who directed Twilight, I hope she doesn't mess it up...
Teen, 13 years old Written bymikethespike451 July 16, 2015

Stargirl is turning into a movie!

Adult Written bycoolsheeza June 21, 2012

I don't really like it

Its all of them rolled into one! It isn't good!