All member reviews for Surrender

Lyrical, award-winning thriller is complex; read with teens.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJesse LaDuc June 8, 2011

A Really Good Book

The psycological thriller Surrender by Sonya Hartnett is very entertaining. The protagonist, Anwell, is dying at the age of 20. He remembers his short life and all the humiliation and mistakes he's made. When young Anwell meets a dirty boy named Finnegan on a hot, boring day, they make a pact. Anwell must only do good things from now on, after accidentally killing his brother, and so calls him Gabriel after an angel. Finnegan can do bad things and becomes an arsonist, punishing people who did bad things to Gabriel and making a game out of leaving the town in terror. Gabriel realizes how dangerous Finnegan is and wants to get rid of him, but is afraid of what Finnegan will do. I thought it was interesting how Finnegan thought he should be Gabriel's only friend. He acts like he owns everything and doesn't care about what the consequences might be, while on the other hand, Gabriel just wants to live a normal life. I felt bad for Gabriel because both his parents seclude him from other people. This makes Gabriel's only friends Finnegan and his dog, Surrender. I also feel bad for how Gabriel had to keep the secret that after the pact was made, Finnegan becomes an arsonist, teasing and terrorizing the town with fire. This novel was very good and I would recommend it to someone who likes suspense. The violence in the novel was a little frightening, but it kept you on the edge of your seat and left you feeling content at the end.
Parent of a 13 year old Written bysurrender_fan1 June 30, 2010

Amazing Book

I loved this book and i feel that it teaches teenagers many importaint life lessons on love friendship and death.Although partially gruesome, i believe that teens will cherish this book for years to come,as did my 13 year old son.Thank you Sonya Hartnett for writing this masterpiece.
Teen, 13 years old Written byImBored25 April 9, 2008

A Must Read

This is the best book I have ever read. The end is incredible. The violence is a little bad. Like when a baby gets stuck in a refrigerator. Or when 2 parents were murdered by a hatchet. Anyway, a must read for kids 13 and up
Teen, 13 years old Written byO.B March 23, 2011

AMAZING BOOK

i read surrender first when i was twelve and again when i was 13. i understood SO much more the second time! it was an amazing book but for teenagers because it will be hard for younger kids to understand dome of it.