All member reviews for Tales of the Madman Underground: An Historical Romance 1973

Raw, raunchy tale of survival best for mature teems.

Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 August 18, 2010

Very bad language but a good coming of age story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byboomboomboommuffins January 27, 2011

Great for anyone 15+

Although at some points disturbing, this books is just fantastic. It's laugh-out-loud funny, brutally honest, and heart-warming all at the same time. The book does contain graphic language and some sexual references and scenes. I'd say a very mature 13 or 14 year-old should be able to handle all of it, and anyone 15 or over should have no problem with the mature nature of this book. This work of art describes six days of the life of a "madman" trying to distance himself from his therapy group to lead a more normal life. This novel is superbly written, and I reccomend that you read it ASAP.
Adult Written byTomato-Face April 18, 2011

I don't know about Romance, but this is a good book

I find that this book, despite the colorful use of vocabulary, to be a good book. While this book deals with matters that most people would actually leave behind closed doors such as Karl's parents relationship, how loose his mother is, and the not-so-glamorous issues that some writes avoid. While there is humor in order to lighten the load, you can still fill the frustration that Karl feels as his mother's destructive behavior and his need to try and fit in. But in the end, there is a light in the tunnel, and a small metamorphosis happens for the good. John Barne's style is very fluid and rather believable as well as how in depth his characters are. Though I wouldn't suggest 11 yr olds reading this, this book has a good discussion points a diamond in the rough.