All member reviews for The 39 Clues Series

Exciting mystery, heavily merchandised.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymotoxracer55 September 28, 2010

this was the most boring book that i have ever read. i read about the first 50 pages and got bored
Teen, 13 years old Written bywizardofbluethu... June 30, 2010

Good Books. (:

I could say its too violent but really it has just enough. This is a wounderfull and Educational Book series. Many libraries have these books and the cards in them can be reused on anybody's account.
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2011

great book for all

I own the whole series hardcover and there are 10 ten books, and they are action packed. But there are several deaths through out the books. Great action packed story!
Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byRunesong February 15, 2013

Proceed with Caution!

Book 1 only: Overall, this IS an exciting, fast paced, secret agent/action-thriller type story written on a middle school reading level with a little educational material thrown in as the main characters race through museums, historical sites, & exotic locals around the world. However, in addition to the less realistic (& less detailed) fighting & general mayhem, there are several dramatic incidents of over-the-top, intentionally shocking violence that may be cause for more than a little concern. The first takes place while Dan & Amy are under attack by would-be kidnappers in ski masks, both physically & at gun point. Amy defends herself & neutralizes the gun threat using martial arts, but Dan ultimately ends the attack by threatening to set their attackers on fire with gasoline & a lighter. On the positive side, another teen (Amy's new boyfriend) is considerably disturbed by this incident & there is some brief discussion about how a kid could even think of lighting another human being on fire. It is unclear, even to Dan, whether he would have actually been able to follow through on the threat or not. The next area of concern is when the kids, unknowingly & though no fault of their own, deliver the wrong ransom to the kidnappers who are now holding their family & friends hostage. The kidnappers retaliate immediately & without discussion by shooting, though not killing, one of the more likeable hostages & sending a video of the incident to Dan & Amy. The cold, matter-of-fact way this is done forcibly induces feelings of helplessness & loss of control over the reader as well as the main characters. On a positive note, the reactions of the other characters, again, provide a sharp, humanistic contrast to the shear brutality of the incident & do a fairly good job of demonstrating critical thinking skills when they evaluate their circumstances & come up with logical approaches & solutions. Later on, the hostages are cruelly forced to remove the bullet themselves, which has been left “to fester” in the victim’s wound further illustrating the callousness of their kidnappers. This task, which falls primarily to the youngest member of the group, proves to be a difficult one & is somewhat gruesomely detailed. At the end of this book, a lady dies by lethal injection in the arms of the children which brings at least one of them to their emotional brink as the “reality” of the situation & the mounting death toll begin to sink in.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bylkoslosky August 10, 2009

Fun and exciting, but watch out for a few small things

Here's from my 11 year old daughter first. She says: "It's very good. I like that it has mysteries you have to figure out. The main characters care for each other and rescue each other. It's very mysterious. I love it." Mom says: "I like it a lot- and I am enjoying the mystery and intrigue just as much as the children. However, I could do without the harsh or belittling language used by most characters. I also hope that the main characters use their goodness to triumph in the end (the end of the series), because that is how they will be good role models-- not by sinking to the level of their adversaries. But overall- it's highly entertaining and even a bit educational."
Parent of a 10, 12, 14, 14, 15, and 17 year old Written bysupermomof8 November 6, 2010

Riveting series for teens/tweens, as good as any action movie!

My children, all homeschooled, have read all 10 of these books. They love the mystery, but are grounded enough to know that the behavior is not acceptable in 'real life' its just like watching a movie. The best thing about this is that my 14 yr old daughter who has never been interested in reading, to my dismay, has absolutely loved them and bought half the series herself. She and her siblings talk about the book and the mystery and the clues and I am thrilled to see her in particular, interested in reading for the first time! Hoping to find other books that will catch her interest the way this series has... My 7 year old just started reading them and is loving them too. he reads well above his age/grade level however.
Parent Written byyunaakka September 18, 2011

Awsome book, but not the best in the series.....

This book was really good,but not as good as the other books in the series. You also really need to read the full series if you want the plot to make sense. I read the whole series ( with the agent handbooks,and Cahill vs. Vesper books) in less than a week. I love this book!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byWriterGirl1233 May 21, 2011

Perfect for tweens who like adventure

I love the 39 clues! It has a ton of adventure and its not a gushy romance novel! :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byriordanflannagan2000 March 23, 2011

A fun, simple book

Pretty good, an excellent book for early and tentative readers. Not brilliant but fun and exciting. Riordan's fast paced action makes the story come alive and his classic humor brings back a few laughs. Again, not a brilliant book but a fun read and nice book to reread every once in a while. 3 and a half stars.
Kid, 10 years old March 7, 2010

I GUESS ITS GOOD

ONE OF MY FREINDS LOVES 39 CLUES BOOKS I THINK I MIGHT LIKE THEM ALSO I DONT KNOW I HAVE NOT READ ANY OF THEM PS BY THE WAY I FOUND ALFRED KROPP BOOK 2 ITS GOOD OH AND ONE THING NOT TO SPOIL IT BUT MIKE ARNOLDS BACK!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 6, 9, and 13 year old Written bylsworsham November 14, 2008

Great despite the shameless merchandising

My 9 yo son really enjoyed this book, and together we really enjoy playing on the website. I do agree that all the marketing/merchandising surrounding this series is terrible (typical Scholastic) but to their credit you don't have to buy the books and/or cards to participate in the website/game - we got the book from the library without cards and are having a blast playing on the website without any cards in hand/$$ spent. So kudos to Scholastic for not making it impossible to be in on the fun without any cash outlay. And the incidential learning about historical figures in each of the family branches is really interesting and not often found in games/books for this age group. FYI my older son (turned 13 days ago) read the book and found it quite boring/immature, particularly compared to Rick Riordan's other works, the Eragon series, etc. So even though the target age for this book is 8-12 I think it more skews to the younger end of that spectrum (and this from a parent who is fairly protective of what my kids read, i.e. the 9 yo has only read the first 3 Harry Potter books). Might be good though for a reluctant reader in the older end of the range.
Parent Written byLucille01 June 8, 2012

Great adventure/mystery series for kids

I have read books 1-3,5, 8 & 10 with my 8 year old son. Yes they are far fetched and tempt kids to buy the cards, but otherwise they are great. I emphatically disagree with the previous reviewer's critique of the plot. They are written for children, not adults! The plot is just fine for that age and even slightly over my son's head on rare occasions. I have enjoyed them as much as he has and highly recommend them. The only reservation I have is the attempted and real violence written about. It isn't descriptive or repeatable but it may be disturbing for some children to read about someone's parents being dead in a fire or their grandmother dying and attending the funeral. Just know your child and use this as a teachable moment if needed.
Kid, 11 years old January 28, 2012

book

it is pretty good even though i havent read it yet!
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2011

REALLY GOOD

This is actually more educational than you might think. And it shows anyone can do anyothing! It is very violent though.....
Kid, 7 years old October 11, 2011

inappropriate content for children

Into the Guantlet book number 10 is the only book I've read and these books are now banded from our home. The most upsetting part: we bought this at a Scholastic Book Fair @ school! The book talks about a Isabel, who "murdered" Amy and Dan's parents and that the girl tried to kill Amy and Dan and threatened them as well. HowDan wanted to beat her up and throw her in jail? This is all on page 10. On page 17 / 18 it discusses how Isabel was grateful that those brats were still alive and this way she could dream up crueler ways to kill them. Page 268 discusses Isabel shooting Amy in the foot, then pointing the gun at her head, then Aistair's chest and then at Natalie's back. And this book is appropriate for grades 3 - 7???
Kid, 12 years old May 27, 2011

How great is The 39 clues

Kept me reading and I think it's really educational.A bit violent in some parts but still it appeals to kids more than young adults.Great.
Kid, 11 years old April 21, 2011

Great!

I love this book soooooo much. A great thing about them is they teach you a little bit about historical characters and they are in a series of ten!!!Amazing!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old March 29, 2011

it was an awsome book.

it was a great book but if ther is people who get scared easily i would not read it because it had very good description of the bones.
Teen, 14 years old Written byh8rPatrol December 21, 2010

Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2010

I just couldn't put it down!! The best series ever!!