All member reviews for The 39 Clues Series

Exciting mystery, heavily merchandised.

Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2010

I just couldn't put it down!! The best series ever!!
Kid, 11 years old September 18, 2010

I love this book!

I really like the first book. It's great. At first it was a little sad though but it's full of mysteries adventures.
Kid, 9 years old September 9, 2010

perfect for 9

it's a good series but some parts weren't that great
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2010

Some of the best books EVER!!

I love the series I can not get enough of the books! When the series is over I am going to cry!! They are all real page turners it is so hard for me to put them down! They also tell you about real people in history. Not that they are actually from a branch but still they are in history. Some of the best books EVER!! I LOVE mysterys so they are perfect for me! I have a friend that reads them we love them we talk about them all the time!
Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byironman2 May 17, 2010

Violent for 8

Great series for 9 year olds but some content not for kids
Kid, 11 years old September 28, 2009

pointless

Two words: Really. Boring. So I was able to pick out ANY book at Border's the other day, and I chose this one of course. I get home, climb into bed, open the book, and I'm content and pleased. Until I opened this book. It's way TOO overpriced for it's content and is too hard to follow. Waste of twenty dollars. Sorry dad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byheykaygirl November 21, 2008

GREAT

I liked even though I'm a little old! It was a great and appropriate book!
Teen, 15 years old Written bySHANTALMARTINEZ March 6, 2015

THE 39 CLUES THE MAZE OF BONES

I THINK THAT THIS IS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ IN MY LIFE, EVERYONE SHOULD READ IT.
Kid, 11 years old January 6, 2015

Best book series I ever read!

I read most of them and I am completely satisfied! I love them so far, and think that they are a good series. The only reason why I rated it 10 and up is because I don't even understand some words. Very funny!
Teen, 13 years old Written byemeraldbassan July 26, 2014

Great book with a few negatives...

When I started reading this series, I had no clue on what to expect. Accidentally, I read the last book first so I was left with many questions but I knew one thing for sure. I was definitely hooked! As I read through the series, I was surprised by the cleverness of all the characters and the intrigue that followed through the books. However, my all-time favorite aspect of your books was the use of history through the thirty-nine clues. It was thrilling to learn about history in this way and relate to my previous knowledge while trying to figure out the clues. At first, it was difficult for me to pinpoint the moral of the story but as I read more I could see it more clearly. Basically, the plot of the story is two orphaned siblings, Dan and Amy Cahill, live a mundane life with their cruel aunt, but all this is shaken when their grandmother, Grace Cahill, dies. Surprising her relatives, she gives them a choice which is to either take one million dollars or a clue. Either move will drastically change their lives. To join your ruthless relatives on a perilous hunt or take one million dollars, that is the question. Of course Dan and Amy choose the hunt, and are given the first clue, much to their aunt's dismay. Immediately, the four branches of the family set off leaving Amy and Dan far behind, or so they think. They soon find that they have greatly underestimated Amy and Dan and the siblings soon realize they can trust no one. As they start to reach the end of the race, they realize that the only way they can get to the prize is by uniting together. Banding together they get to the prize and become strong allies as well. Happily ever after, right? Well... I would like to say this has been the best book I have ever read but because of some violence and crude humor I can't say it has been. When I said ruthless, I mean like cutthroat ruthless. For the story to still be a good book, I don't think there needed to be so much violence. During the book, Amy often says unkind things to her brother who retaliates with sarcasm and criticism. Consequently, hurting Amy's feelings. Actually, I still enjoy these books but I am definitely not a fan of the violence in them. Since Amy and Dan are orphans, when they ran away from their Aunt Beatrice they took their Au Pair with them so they would not be questioned. Their Au Pair, Nellie Gomez, is a funny, quirky character who likes cooking and her iPod. Reading some reviews of the thirty-nine clues, I realized that many readers disliked Nellie's lack of control over the siblings and less than perfect role model status. Understandingly, I get that she is not the best but she is always there for Dan and Amy and tries to be a good role model too. I don't think she's a bad character, but she does need guidance on how to be a better Au Pair. To offset the less than perfect stuff, I must say I was very impressed by their use of history which I learned a lot from. Especially, because according to CNN, only twenty percent of forth graders were proficient in American history while they probably did even worse in worldwide history. I think it's great that they put that in there. I also hope the history in the books is passed on to the movie that Dreamworks is planning to make. Interesting students in history is hard, but these books make history seem very surprising and fun. They go to lots of adventurous places such as the Catacombs in France and the Opal Mines in Australia all the while teaching valuable “history lessons.” In this particular book, the first one, Amy and Dan were learning about Benjamin Franklin because the first clue was Ben's pen name Richard Saunders. Later, I looked up some of the places they went including the underground town of Coober Pedy. It was cool to look at a town that is underground. In my opinion, I think these books aren't the best books for kids my age and younger but if you are like me and love excitement and adventure then I think you'll definitely love these books. Although I also think these books are better for kids eight and up because there is some stuff which might be scary to a little kid. A person eight and under should probably read this book with their parents so they can sort out what the characters did right and what they did wrong.
Kid, 12 years old April 19, 2014

One of my favorite series!

This is an awesome series. Pros- there is a ton of educational stuff woven into the books, there are some good older sibling role models, it is pretty well written, and it is very action packed. Cons- the little brother character makes a ton of cheesy jokes (gets a little annoying), the two kids do a lot of illegal things, there are some pretty evil and violent characters. But overall, it's an amazing series, and I would totally recommend for ages 9 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysmiles0325 November 29, 2013

Not my favorite book

Most boring book I read. The main characters are not my favorite and i read this book to page 70 and dropped it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDsim64 November 28, 2013

This is all one big advertisement for the computer game!

There is virtually no real interesting points. Every part of the books are designed to make you play the game. It rips off other books. WE JUST WANT TO FREAKIN ENJOY THE STORY! A lot like Beyblade...Except it does that with a TV show.
Kid, 12 years old November 11, 2013

Best action book I've read

This is a really good book! I've read the entire series, and though there is some violence, it's all around a great series!
Kid, 10 years old November 2, 2013

39 clues rule

its okay although its amazingly violent not for kids under 9 gets better and better throughout the series. Its educational and has stuff on ben franklin. I loved it!!
Kid, 10 years old September 8, 2013

Great book

This is a great book. Though lots of violence is involved, Amy and Dan always find a smart way through it.
Kid, 11 years old March 10, 2013

Good Reads

I like these books and I think they are very intreating. even though this series explores mature concepts, it is a great pick for kids who enjoy a short action packed read. These books stay interesting because there are many different writing stiles because there are many different authors. Another thing i like about these is there are so many of them and they are still writeing them so it will take a while to finish the series.
Kid, 8 years old November 16, 2012

BEST

This is the best book series EVER!!
Kid, 12 years old July 1, 2012

Good series, good stuff alongside

I think this is a really good series for children (not too young though). One of my favorite things is that each book (and its cards) host some kind of intriguing puzzle for the kids to figure out-this is great for puzzle skills and is fun to do with some friends, too. Each book also focuses on some kind of geographical/historical theme which goes really in depth and even I've learned quite a bit from these books! They are fast, fun and short, making them ideal for kids who don't like to read lots. Then, there's the website, which kids will love-but you may want to supervise them as they could end up with some negative influences (things like lock picking, theft, and being too nosy). Overall, good for children who are older and more responsivbe.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybookjunkie178 June 17, 2012

Riordan shines but what clue are they up to?

I love this series but they should seriously number the clues or something. I am on book 10 and I have no idea what clue they are up to. Sometimes Dan and Amy find more than one clue per book and I can't keep track. that's probably the only complaint I have for this series. I like how even though each book the author's alternate, the story still feels like a whole. I agree with CSM thought, Rick Riordan's books are the best. They are always better paced and more exciting than the rest.