All member reviews for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Funny, gritty, and powerful novel of growing up on the rez.

Teen, 14 years old Written byHeroOfLight94 January 2, 2009

my favorite book of all time next to drums girls and dangerous pie

this book i thought was going to be funny but what i get was an amazingly written tale of racism, homophobia, love, compassion, teen life, life on reservations, and acceptance. There are numerous sexual references but mostly all portrayed humorously. there is also strong language. one f--k and other mild language. there are short fistfights a few sad deaths and strong alchoholic content
Parent of a 7 year old Written bye.tai09 October 1, 2009

I just finished reading this novel for my college english course. I'd have to say that when i first picked up the book, I wondered why we were reading it! I mean, pictures?! Really? lol Then after I read it I understood why. Though there are some sexual references, alcohol abuse, ect, Alexie gives us an intimate look into the life of a teenage boy with hopes and dreams who is lead to self-discovery by the people around him throughout the novel. There was a connection I felt with Junior (the protagonist) that influences me to give this novel a two-thumbs-up! I would recomend this novel for teens 16 or over =]
Teen, 13 years old Written byfox10145 December 29, 2010

Great comedy

I choose to read this book for our "banned book" project. The masturbation mention seems to be the most controversial topic for this book. You should know masturbation is only mentioned and does not go into detail. My teacher even suggested I choose a different book because of it. But I think this is just Sherman Alexie's way of accurately portraying teenagers these days. I felt like Alexie genuinely understood what being a teen is like. Alcohol, strong language, and a small amount of violence take place in the story aswell. I laughed throughout the whole book. A great message of making new friends and forgiving old friends is a main theme throughout the book. The importance of family and standing up for what you believe in is also an important moral preached throughout the story.
Educator and Parent Written byImprovingeducation September 9, 2013

Some educational value does not compensate for a low reading level crass and vulgar book.

I read this book because it was on my son's school required reading list. I felt it was incredibly juvenile for a 10th grade honors English class. The swearing was bothersome but not a deal-killer. Then I got to the masturbation discussion that went on for over a page. Flipping through it I found a variety of sexually related musings. This is like handing my son an R rated movie with sexual detail and saying it's okay because the historical aspect is good. Students could learn the cultural and social aspects without reading the vulgarity.
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written byPNW TeacherMom July 3, 2010

TMI!!!

I thought this book was informative, but objectionable. The struggles and sucesses of a modern native american, though sometimes inspiring, are overshadowed by his sexual preoccupation.
Teen, 13 years old Written byWC August 18, 2010

I had to read this in June-August 2010 for my incoming freshman high school year. I thought it was a good book, but was way inappropriate for kids my age.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byrkskymuffin March 2, 2011

it was not one of my fav books at all i mean it was ok but many other better books
Parent of a 13 year old Written bybookaffair November 27, 2010

Positive messages about life is what you make it!

Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byrustfam November 11, 2010

A Must Discuss book!

This is a powerful book relaying a hopeless and hopeful message, but it's a book that can't be read in solitude. Parents read with your teens and discuss -- there are incredible life lessons that are worth discussing!
Parent of a 15 year old Written bymomtojoe August 19, 2010

great story of hope and overcoming adversity

Teen, 15 years old Written byphoenixadvanced June 7, 2010

Fantastic book, great for anyone cause it's interesting and funny

This book was great. The narrator was hilarious, and the drawings throughout the book made it interesting to read . The main guy is great cause he knows what he wants and isn't afraid to go for it. Even though he's small and skinny he stands up for his family and tribe, even when some massive senior makes a racist comment, Junior punches him in the face despite the fact that it might earn him a beating. What made this book even better was that I learned after I read it that it was based on the author's life and experiences growing up on an Indian Reservation. This book taught me a lot about Indian Reservations that I didn't know before, and it was really well written.
Educator and Parent of a 7 year old Written byfindog3103 April 11, 2010
Adult Written byeloc5 December 16, 2009

Best book ever for kids over 12 or 13 ... teaches kids alot about indian reservations
Parent of a 8, 10, and 17 year old Written byMrs. Bartels December 6, 2009

INSPIRING PERSEVERENCE!

I love how persistant the main character is in his pursuit of an education. I admire his work ethic and his ability to stick with school despite the many obstacles put in his path: racism, alcoholism, loss, poverty etc... He is amazing on the basketball court, not because he is a natural basketball player, but because he refuses to let anything get in the way of his success. It is his ability to stay focused in the midst of chaos that I find particularly inspiring. He never loses sight of his goals, and that embodies a wholesome vision of success that is endearing.
Adult Written byRM August 16, 2009

Excellent book that requires lots of discussion and background information...

Excellent book with a positive underlying message. The language is strong at times, as the author really attempts to capture an authentic 9th grader's voice. I think this is an appropriate choice for ages 13+ as long as kids have a chance for LOTS of discussion. I don't know if every child will understand the author's tone fully and if they don't, the way that the author pokes fun of the stereotypes about his culture might be dismissed as racist or weird. It's important for them to understand WHY he takes the tone that he does...the book is just so hilarious for the amount of sadness that it contains. The bottom line on this book is that it needs to be discussed with teenagers as they read it, whether it's in class or on their own. I was a little shocked by one of the cartoons when I saw it, but once I actually read the book, I understood why it's considered to be so good.
Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

Wonderful...

A funny, inspiring, and brutally honest book about unfairness, racism, friendship, and pulling yourself up by the bootstraps. The characters are believable, and readers will sympathize with Junior's plight. This is a great story to introduce readers to the lives of those living on Native American reservations. Parents should know that there is a frank reference to masturbation and boy has his head sewn up without anasthaesia. There is also so swearing. Altogether, it's a great story for teens 14+!
Teen, 17 years old Written byweb78lit January 7, 2015

Relatable book for teenagers

It's a funny easy to read book with some illustration. It does contain bad language, references to eating disorders, racism, sexual content, alcoholism, death, violence and poverty. It does show, from a fourteen year olds perspective, that you can rise above any circumstances.
Teen, 14 years old Written bydaisy224751 April 16, 2014

great

This book is really interesting and great, I finished in two days!
Kid, 12 years old December 2, 2013

WOW

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a modern masterpiece. I enjoyed this book so much, I read it in maybe 2 hours! There are some sexual references, language scattered throughout, and lots of drunk people, but other than that, it's good for maybe 12 and up. This book is so good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNomacop January 1, 2013

the absolutely true diary of a part time indian

A thought provoking novel that is hilarious and makes you feel a wide range of emotions