All member reviews for The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

Funny, gritty, and powerful novel of growing up on the rez.

Teen, 16 years old Written byArtichokes-United August 20, 2012

Great Coming of Age Story

This is a brilliant book that is both a hilarious and heartwarming coming of age story that will leave you laughing, crying, and in want for more. The characters are great, the writing is fantastic, and the story is almost painfully true to what it's like to grow up being different. Teens should definitely check out this book. I couldn't put it down once I'd started it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater November 9, 2011

A comedy with heart, but death(s) take place

True Diary is hysterical… one of the funniest books I’ve ever read with a perfect end to a perfect novel. The story tells of a boy named Junior who lives in the Rez, a town with an Indian culture background. He decides he is going to go to an all-white-school where Junior will be bullied, will bully, make friends, get a girlfriend and have an experience like no other. Junior’s adventure in the school is witty and the writing is accompanied by little comics that express just as much as the writing does. He is realistic and has little quirks that make you love him more. Although the humor is funny, it does touch upon erections, masturbation, and a girl underwear magazine (all just said, no real action explained) and the book does not talk about S.E.X AT ALL!!!!! The story has a suicide, three deaths (or is it four) and Junior talks about how The Rez is filled with alcoholics and parents that abuse children. The f*** word is used once in teh sexuely correct way, also sh** is said. The novel is great and recommend it for anyone over 13 and for anyone with a witty sense of humor, the ride is totally worth it, I promise you.
Teen, 15 years old Written by111 year old man October 18, 2011

Great Book!

Awesome book and I hate books. I read it in one day, I couldn't stop reading(not just because the project was due the next day). The masturbation caught me off guard but it was only talked about for one paragraph.
Teen, 13 years old Written byboyyy July 16, 2011

Brandon's Brilliant Review

This book isn't actually that bad my parents read it and they thought it was educational and im only 13. Yes it has some swearing andsome alcohol related things but its not like the're not going to say it when they grow up. once they get older the're allowed tosay whatever they want without your permission. Plus if the bookwasn't really that good why is it a NATIONAL BOOK AWARD WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old October 10, 2010

I am only in the third chapter and there is already talk of masturbation. I am 12 and I feel a little awkward about reading that stuff. Although, it does have some great messages about poverty and bullying. If your child is mature enough to not show that sexual stuff to their friends as a chuckle during class, than I think it is a great book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhamstergurl09 May 7, 2010

Fine

I thought the majority of this book was very funny. The story was interesting, and I learned a lot more about native americans on reservations. There are only some parts of the book I didn't like, but other than that, I enjoyed it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLadiicoca August 30, 2009

Perfect for teens and young adults

I Think this book is absolutely appropriate for Teen from the age of 14+ because this is wen kids start to get an idea of how life is and you cant hide things from your kids you have to be very open so that they will trust you in the long run and listen when you give advise
Parent Written byMelodyMV August 14, 2009

It's one interesting perspective of one interesting teen

Great book! Recommended for mature readers, and something to definitely discuss with parents. So much character growth in this book makes you want to continue cheering for Junior!
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzyowl November 17, 2008

Hilarious and sad

This book is hilarious though slightly crude. It is a well worth your time book. It will especially help when you thought you had a bad day!