All teen and kid member reviews for The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Kid, 12 years old June 11, 2011

Great book, iffy 13+

Extremely good. It can be very iffy though, regular uses of the N word, Huck smokes, adults get drunk, child abuse, killings, animal abuse, racism, violent suggestions, faked deaths, and more are held within. But amongst that and much more prominent are messages of anti slavery, freedom, standing up for your self, and the power of self. Also there is a huge amount of educational content, especially for insight into that time period.
Kid, 12 years old April 25, 2011

The only problem is the n word

I love this book, but it has 156 uses of the N-word. But aside from the mind-numbing overload of racism, this is a great classic any 5th grader should read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byxxRisingUpxx July 16, 2014

Wonderful, but gritty

I read this book when I was 8, and loved it. However, it is very violent, so be careful giving it to younger children. This is also where I learned the N word from.
Kid, 12 years old May 19, 2012

BORING!!!!!!!!!

boring! I recommend not to read this book, unless you want to waste your precious time in it.Go figure.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMightyLebron November 30, 2013

A decent novel from the old days.

This book is a good dramatic book about two runaway slaves who try to escape by going through the Mississippi River. This book wasn't really anything to write home about, but it was much better than Tom Sawyer.
Teen, 17 years old Written byLittle Cupcake July 14, 2013

The Great American Novel Forever In My Heart

Okay, this is the best book I've ever read ever. It's the best narration, if not fully grammatically correct, hilarious, fun, epic, and brings 1840 American South with Slavery alive. Huck is clever, adventurous, and really funny, yet "ignorant". Jim is a cool family man. Oh My Gosh. Ignore the haters who say this book has bad language! NO! That's the way people realistically talked back then! Get used to it! It wasn't offensive back then, and shouldn't be taken so in a book set in that time period read today! What's wrong with them?! Common Sense was right that the haters can't see the forest through the trees. I think this is the one book that really captures the awesome Twain-ness of Mark Twain! OMG! Yaay! Read It! Now!
Kid, 11 years old April 11, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written byAlreadyTaken January 24, 2013

Amazing

OK, I really think this book is too heavily criticized for being inappropriate. Huckleberry Finn is one of the greatest books of all time. And I don't think its detrimental to read at a young age. I was extremely sheltered- the only PG-13 movies I saw before I was 13 were shown in school, and I read this in probably fourth grade. It had no bad effect on me, and I think the positive messages greatly outweigh any iffy material. Yes, the n word is used frequently, but it is time-accurate, and the novel takes a stand against racism. I think every kid should read this book growing up. Please listen to me
Kid, 10 years old December 23, 2009

I haven't read ALL of it (just some of it)

I read the first few chapters of it and it was great. But definitely not a read aloud for our family because the N- word is said quite frequently and we do not want anyone to say that.