All member reviews for The Apothecary

Kid, 10 years old November 17, 2013

Amazing Story

This book is really good! It is really descriptive and there was always a part where I could not put it down! There is a lot of adventure that makes you more interested in it, but there is violence and there are people trying to capture her and there are references to atomic bombs, and there are parts where they need to get naked to get the invisibility potion and Benjamin and Janie kiss, but besides that, it's the best book ever!
Kid, 5 years old October 8, 2014

The Apothacary

This was a really good book. What I liked about this book is it has a good balance between magic and real life. Also it was really well written it made you feel as if you were one of the characters in the book. This book is a historical fiction about 2 fourteen year olds that save the world. If I could change anything about this book I would change that they have to get naked to turn invisible because it did not really move the book along. I think that if skin can turn invisible so can clothes. Also I would change the apothecary’s way of mind wiping people instead of spiking their drinks I think he should have done it some other way.
Kid, 10 years old March 8, 2012

awesome book

I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a book you can't put down! The book involves a bomb and some of the characters almost die, but the ending makes it worth it.
Kid, 12 years old January 23, 2012

Magical story gives insight on Cold War

The Apothecary is a fantastical adventure in the early stages of the cold war. There is more than a few creepy or violent moments, starting out with the ominous chapter title "Followed." Janie's family is forced to flee America after Janie is followed home from school. Why? Her parents are believed to support communism, however, they don't. The kids witness German thugs break into Benjamin's dad's shop. A gardener is found dead. Later, they are chased by a British man turned Soviet spy and turn into birds to escape. In order to save their family, they sneak onto a boat. Janie is held at gunpoint to force the others to allow a soviet to send out a message. The climax is held when they attempt to stop a nuclear bomb from exploding: Janie had been captured while in avian form and held captive, so her captors make her stand on the ship in hope that the radiation will kill her. However, none of the violence is too descriptive, and nothing is really scary. There is a strong educational value behind the story, giving kids an insight into the British school system, the Cold War, and through the strong theme, the importance of family during danger. The characters are strong and believable, having small human qualities (Janie tries to walk like Kate Hepburn), and being incredulous about the magic. Ben and Janie kiss, and there is mention of Pip sneaking a kiss from Sarah. I had one problem with the book (which is a plot spoiler): at the end of the book, Ben gives Janie a forgetfulness potion, something that you'd expect the apothecary to do, but for Ben to do so is disappointing. Ben claims to be doing it for Janie, but you get feeling that it is really to protect himself. However, it does get resolved, but still, it was a disappointing act from Ben.
Kid, 9 years old July 16, 2012

Best book in the world

I thought it was the best book I've ever read and I've read many many many books and this is my favourite out of all of them. Teaches kids that nothing is perfect not heart loves and daisies. But mystery and magic an outstanding book if you don't read it you are missing out on a excellent book. It's 100% goodness. Better than 13334 books.
Kid, 10 years old October 13, 2011

Apothecary

I think I it is good book, I think you should get your kids this book!
Kid, 7 years old May 22, 2015

An exciting and heart warming story about kids who want to save the world. It takes 20-30 pages until you start to get into it. Then you can't stop reading! When you finish reading this book you will be ready to read books like Harry Potter.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhahasoccer February 26, 2015

Awesome!

I loved this book! One of my favorites. I think any kid could read it if they didn't get that scared. If you've read Harry Potter you will probably think of this as equal to it. The first few chapters are a little boring but it gets amazing! You should read the book if you get the chance.
Kid, 10 years old October 8, 2014

The Apothecary

I found this book very good and a nice reading experience for a person who just wants a book full of heart and a plain good story. It has great role models, educational value and good messages, but due to a good deal of violence (German thugs attacking a shop, a woman being tortured for secrets, a man getting stabbed with a sundial), quite a few examples of drinking, and kissing, I think a person should be at least 10 to read.