All member reviews for The Apprentices

New villains seek A-bomb in exciting Apothecary sequel.

Parent Written byLisaLisa1969 November 10, 2013

Contains a Very Violent Passage not meant for pre-teens or teens

My 11 year old and I loved The Apothecary but were terribly disappointed by this book. I was totally shocked by the gratuitous violence depicting a woman who had been cut open and her guts were hanging out. This was fully described and quite graphic. It was revisited again in a dream sequence. As an adult, I am still haunted by this image. This kind of graphically violent description had no place in a novel for this age group. I am shocked that the author of this review did not take note of this. I urge Meloy to tone down this violent section in subsequent editions of the book to make it more suitable to pre-teens and teens. Furthermore, I found this sequel woefully lacking in many of the areas that The Apothecary did so well. The Apothecary was a great work of exciting historical fiction (and geographical fiction as the physic garden is a real place) mixed with fantasy. The Apprentices, on the other hand, was truly boring and lacking in any of the educational merit of the first book.
Educator and Parent Written byAishamustafa March 16, 2015

The Appothecary

its a worth reading book that takes your imagination into the mixture of bitter reality and fantasy simultaneously.