All member reviews for The Book Thief

Powerful testament to humanity in Nazi Germany.

Teen, 14 years old Written byLisa88 June 16, 2011

A breathtaking, one of a kind novel

This is a stunningly beautiful novel of a girl living in Germany during the holocaust, suitable for both teenagers and adults to read. Zusak left me breathless with his descriptions and I always felt connected to the characters in some way or another. It is educational but does not lack strong characters with which you can connect with emotionally. You are taken on a heartbreaking journey through the lives of several characters, many of which you grow to love and feel for. Several times in the book I was bawling my eyes out or crying for pure joy, it really gets to you on an emotional level. It has holocaust themes (obviously) but I would say that they are quite mild. People who are sensitive to these themes can quite easily skip over the details and continue reading on as the book will still make total sense. The way in which Zusak writes is quite inspiring and just reading the descriptions with no storyline or plot would be enough for me! This is one of my favourite books.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookkeeper September 3, 2010

Beautiful and sad

Markus Zusak has a way with words, and it shines in The Book Thief. At once hopeful and devastating, it's an observation of humanity from an outsider who sees it all; Death says things bluntly, and at one point spoils a bit of the plot early, because he doesn't see the point in keeping anything a secret. A real tear-jerker, The Book Thief keeps a steady pace to the end, if not with plot, then with words. I've read it many times, and each time I notice something new and amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheyjessie March 13, 2010

A bit intense for preteens

I read this when I was eleven on a cruiseship, and it was seriously awesome. I loved it. Still do. In fact, I have the book next to me right now. It's one of my favorite books of all time, and even though there's a lot of things that I shouldn't know about, well, most people these days are more mature than they used to be. I did flinch at a few words, however.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2010

Great for kids wanting to read a great book.

Love it! I read it when I was 9. Language is a problem in this book.This book is about the Holocaust so of course it is violent. Everything fro death camps to airplane crashing.The end is so sad you will need tissues
Teen, 17 years old Written bybricehager10 September 13, 2010

Amazing. Absolutely Amazing.

This book is so amazing. I thought this was the best book i've ever read in my entire life, and I've read a lot of books. It's dark, cruel, powerful messages changed my life.
Adult Written byKateD August 6, 2010

Language is inappropriate for middle school

The language is inappropriate for middle school. It has very powerful themes, so encourage it to your high school students!
Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bygabajoran January 18, 2011

I bought this book as an ebook after both my 13 year old daughter and I got Nook ereaders. Finding books that are appropriate for her to read that I will also enjoy has been a challenge. This book met all my expectations. It is a bit odd in the beginning, but the characters are unforgettable. The story line is dark but not totally depressing. It is excellent historic fiction. Even the language that I would object to adds to the book.
Adult Written byAnia December 26, 2010

Beautiful writing

A wonderful book, content/theme/characters, etc. As a writer, Markus Zusak is in the top tier of contemporary writers.
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2010

Loved it!

This book was hard to get into I admit, but once I started reading it, I could not stop! I would recommend this book to people who know that something like this wouldn't happen to them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byswimgirl815 January 4, 2011

An awesome book...up to Harry Potter standards.

I seriously loved this book. I first read this book as summer reading for my frosh year lit class, and I fell in love with it. Nazi Germany and the Holocaust is one of my favorite topics of literature, and I feel that Markus Zusak does a fantastic job creating a story. Although it is about a dark theme, choosing tired and sarcastic Death to be the narrator adds a whole new dimension to the book by making it darkly humorous. All the characters stand out, and for me, my favorites, by far, were Hans Hubermann and Rudy Steiner. (SPOILER) I cry EVERY time I read when Rudy and Hans are found dead after the bombing, and I have read this book about 5 times now. It contains some language, but teens like me would think that it adds to the dark humor of the book. A must read, should be classic.
Adult Written byswimgirl1995 February 17, 2009

i cried and laughed throughout this exciting book

i really loved this book and hope that all parents will let their 10 year old read it.Sure there are a few curse words,but its still amazing and there isn't really any mature content other than that and some nazis whipping jews.i hope everyone can read this book.it was both amazing and surprising. the end was kinda weird but it was good other than that. the beginning was slow though.
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2011

Sad But Really Good

I loved this book. I have already read it twice and will probably read it many more times. It is a rather sad book. I don't want to give anything away, but the book starts off sad and the ending will make you cry. There are good role modles in this book like Papa, Max and Lisel. When I first started reading the book I was I bit confused because the narrator was Death. Kinda different. Some of the vocabulary was a bit confusing for me. I probably could have waited another year or two to read it because the first time around I had to read some pages several times before I understood it. But when I read it this year I loved I even more. As far as the bad laguage goes I would say most of its in German so I didn't really know what it ment and didn't really think about it. I learned I lot about what was going on in that time period. There is quite a bit of of violence some of it made me really sad. I would say that over all this is a really good book. A page turner.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBookThief616 August 3, 2010

The Best Book I've Ever Read!

This book is my FAVORITE! I read it non-stop for about a week! I was obsessed! I even cried when I finished because I would miss the characters! I am 13 and this is one of my summer reading books, but I am SO glad I read it! Many adults have this as a "Book Club" book. (Many people asked what I was reading and mentioned that it was in their book club) Even though it is suitable for adults, it is AMAZING for teens my age. A deep message. A few warnings though: Much killing. Hitler being praised by some characters. Some bad language. Other than that... I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Teen, 14 years old Written byI am Running to... July 11, 2010

Chilling!

I have to read this for school. It is such a dark subject matter, but the narrator uses humor to lighten it.
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2011

A Light in the Darkness

With a starting chapter by the name of "chocolate and death" my eyes were easily burning with the fuel of curiosity. Then you are welcomed to that world by the hand of a shady character that seems supernatural, almost unreal. Were you are introduced to 3 highlits of the story. A girl, a jewish fist fighter, and headstrong germans. From then on I feel in love with the words. Markus Zusak led me in a breathtaking adventure were its proved over and over again that even the smallest light in the darkness shines brightly and fierce. Though the pages are smeared with language and breathed with violence. There is perseverance, friendship, positiveness, patience, love, and kindness. It shows you that even in such remote, dark places as nazi Germany people fought for what was right. Unforgettable characters, chilling story line. When you read this book there are times your eyes will water with happiness and your heart skip with hearty laughs and others were you will cry and bang the book screaming "Why? Why? Why?".
Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 August 4, 2010

powerful book about ww2 for teens.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! it is a powerful statement about how foster children were treated in WW2.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythebookfreak July 17, 2011

BEst-BoOk-EvEr

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book! I had to read this for a class assingment- and fell in love with it! i even have 2 copies of it! The writing is soooo beautiful and i've learned so much from it. The book may seem a bit long, but when you get reading it's as if nothing exists and the pages seem to fly by. There are some books where you "read. read. read." but THe BoOk ThIeF makes you "read. think. Cry. Read" This book is a MUST READ!
Teen, 13 years old Written byNicoleleon June 25, 2011

Educational

It gives children a good background on what it was like under the Nazis.
Kid, 12 years old September 29, 2010

great book

love it! you have to read it, thats all im gonna say! lol
Teen, 14 years old Written byMzrokks August 21, 2011

Magnificent, melancholy, a classic

This is not a happy book. But it is an absolutely brilliant one. The reader lives through the Second World War with a young girl in Nazi Germany, told exceptionally well by Death Himself. There is some language, but nothing a mature 12-year old couldn't take. If you remember this is a sad book, then you'll realize this for the classic it is. A testament to humanity.