All member reviews for The Book Thief

Teen, 14 years old Written byBoOkwOrmxD May 11, 2010

Try It it wont harm you

At first when i picked it up, i thought it would be boring but i decided to read it since my teacher recommended it to me.Now that im done, i realize that it was a good read and a very interesting book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byorlyme April 19, 2010

Great book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysamcsmovies April 15, 2010

He managed to make a magnificent book out of the slaughter of WWII

Personally, I think it was a positive message that people did what was right at the risk of their lives. Also, as long as the reader understands about WWII they're not going to take the anti-semitism the wrong way. The ending is pretty heartbreaking and some of the main story is troubling, but the book is wonderfully written, thought out, and meaningful.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEve_Stargirl April 13, 2010

Perfect for all who can understand it

I loved it. The book showed so many things but I think that you need to be 14+ to understand and take in the story. The ending is heartbreaking so you may want to read just that (although it will be hard to understand the true sorrow if you haven't read the rest of the book), to see if your child would get to upset as it brought tears to my eyes and I rarely get effected by sad books.
Kid, 9 years old April 13, 2010

Perfect for older kids.

The main character is well, a book thief, and she likes to steal books for pleasure.
Teen, 13 years old Written byeli.charette March 14, 2010

perfect for teens, mature pre teens and adults

this book was an amazing book but there can be some parts that are not appropiate for children. it is one of my favorite all time books, it was a long book but it easily kept your attention. it was very interesting and made learning about history exciting. it was very well written and also written in a very unique stlye.
Kid, 11 years old February 2, 2010

Great Book

I loved this book!!! ok, so maybe it was a bit depressing, but that's to be expected; it's about world war 2! i thought there were good role models who taught you lessons about sticking to your dream, no matter what. it was also very educational about how things were in world war 2. there was a lot of swearing, but if you ignore that fact the book is really good!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byimawesome34 December 22, 2009

Very dark, Perfect for Teenagers

This is a great book about WW2. I usually don't come by books that are about the people who weren't being persecuted by Hitler and it's a real eye-opener
Teen, 13 years old Written byVelvet_Leggings_XD November 13, 2009

I love this book. Oh, I know they say it's too dense for kids my age, but some of us (like me) have very precocious minds and find this book very life-changing, and a easy book to understand.
Kid, 12 years old July 6, 2009

Not for kids, but good for 12+

Love this book, but it is hard to get through. It is phenomenal the way it is written from Deaths point of view. My Mother and I both read this, and she didn't think it was bad for me at all.
Kid, 12 years old June 21, 2009

The Book Thief is a very harsh book, not shying away from the horrors of Nazi Germany. But if you can stomach it, you'll be rewarded with one of the best pieces of literature based on WWII in years. Creatively narrated by Death himself, the story follows Liesel and her friends and family dealing with the crazy world around them, and their own personal trifles. I don't want to give any spoilers, but don't consider anyone safe from death in this book. The long length may put some off, but the memorable story within is one you won't soon forget! 9.5/10
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahkat321 June 7, 2009

the best.

my favorite book, i've read it multiple times. i think that a mature 12 yr old could read it, and understand most of it.
Kid, 12 years old May 27, 2009

If you haven't already READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I loved this book!!! having death as the narrator was brilliant and the way it was written so it is not obvious that death was the narrator was interesting. Although many people commented on how it would have been better without so much swearing, I disagree. It gives you a better perspective on how life was for a German child, and it is in a different language half the time . If you read this book I guarantee 99% percent of you will like it. If you haven't yet, read this book!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old April 2, 2009

A Great Book For Anyone!

The Book Thief is a wonderful book about a girl having to live through WWII. Narrated by death, this book gives a different perspective of the world many people had to face. this book has many twists and turns that wouldn't be expected, but make it much more captivating. If you read this book I am certain you will laugh at parts and you will cry at parts, but overall this is an amazing book.
Kid, 12 years old March 16, 2009

A Great Read

I read this book around a few months ago and it was confusing and a bit boring but going through some parts were just amazing like how death was the main character and it just RULED.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTribius February 24, 2009

My favorite book I have read thus far.

I have to say, this is one of the best books I have ever read. It's incredibly creative and inventive. The fact that death is the narrator is a new and different concept that was well utilized throughout the novel. Marcus Zusak is a literary genious in my eyes. As far as age appropriatness of the novel. It is questionable, yes, but I still think any child willing to read such a long book should be allowed to read it. It may have a few swears scattered amongst the pages and a couple of violent scenes but all in all the age group that should be allowed to read the book should be somewhere around 10 and up. Any child below that age may or may not understand what their reading. It's a wonderful book and I highly recomend it to anyone who is interested.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysuper mello November 26, 2008

one of the best books i've ever read

this is a deeply moving story. it is very artfully written, but some chunks, especially the first chapter, are confusing because of that. its one of those books where you can't put it down, but you want to make it last as long as possible because its so amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written bydylank November 21, 2008

One word. Spectacular.

I feel the Book Thief is a great book and deserves to be on the same shelf as Diary of Ann Frank. This book not only tells us of Hitlers evils, but also shows how even the smallest, regular children and adults can be affected by raids and death. Spectacular.

Glorious

When I saw that this book was up on the list, my first thought was: that was a glorious book. And it really is. It's a harrowing, realistic look at how WWII affected many lives. This is not for people whose mental age is below 13, however. It is beautifully crafted but definetly not a fairy tale. All in all, a truely gorgeous book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycackyj April 9, 2008