All member reviews for The Book Thief

Teen, 14 years old Written byLisa88 June 16, 2011

A breathtaking, one of a kind novel

This is a stunningly beautiful novel of a girl living in Germany during the holocaust, suitable for both teenagers and adults to read. Zusak left me breathless with his descriptions and I always felt connected to the characters in some way or another. It is educational but does not lack strong characters with which you can connect with emotionally. You are taken on a heartbreaking journey through the lives of several characters, many of which you grow to love and feel for. Several times in the book I was bawling my eyes out or crying for pure joy, it really gets to you on an emotional level. It has holocaust themes (obviously) but I would say that they are quite mild. People who are sensitive to these themes can quite easily skip over the details and continue reading on as the book will still make total sense. The way in which Zusak writes is quite inspiring and just reading the descriptions with no storyline or plot would be enough for me! This is one of my favourite books.
Teen, 13 years old Written byheyjessie March 13, 2010

A bit intense for preteens

I read this when I was eleven on a cruiseship, and it was seriously awesome. I loved it. Still do. In fact, I have the book next to me right now. It's one of my favorite books of all time, and even though there's a lot of things that I shouldn't know about, well, most people these days are more mature than they used to be. I did flinch at a few words, however.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybookkeeper September 3, 2010

Beautiful and sad

Markus Zusak has a way with words, and it shines in The Book Thief. At once hopeful and devastating, it's an observation of humanity from an outsider who sees it all; Death says things bluntly, and at one point spoils a bit of the plot early, because he doesn't see the point in keeping anything a secret. A real tear-jerker, The Book Thief keeps a steady pace to the end, if not with plot, then with words. I've read it many times, and each time I notice something new and amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byswimgirl815 January 4, 2011

An awesome book...up to Harry Potter standards.

I seriously loved this book. I first read this book as summer reading for my frosh year lit class, and I fell in love with it. Nazi Germany and the Holocaust is one of my favorite topics of literature, and I feel that Markus Zusak does a fantastic job creating a story. Although it is about a dark theme, choosing tired and sarcastic Death to be the narrator adds a whole new dimension to the book by making it darkly humorous. All the characters stand out, and for me, my favorites, by far, were Hans Hubermann and Rudy Steiner. (SPOILER) I cry EVERY time I read when Rudy and Hans are found dead after the bombing, and I have read this book about 5 times now. It contains some language, but teens like me would think that it adds to the dark humor of the book. A must read, should be classic.
Teen, 17 years old Written bybricehager10 September 13, 2010

Amazing. Absolutely Amazing.

This book is so amazing. I thought this was the best book i've ever read in my entire life, and I've read a lot of books. It's dark, cruel, powerful messages changed my life.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystork13 April 9, 2014

One of my Favorite Books!

The Book Thief is a really great book for teens and even adults. It definitely captures the struggles of the characters in the book. Yet it also has good role models who later become heroes. What really stands out about this book is the fact that the main characters will fight to do what's right even if it means risking their lives. The book has some language here and there (sh*t, a**hole, pig, etc.) yet its mostly said in German language. The Book Thief is a very educational book and its also very interesting. It's a little slow at the beginning, but IT GET'S BETTER!!! Trust me :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 August 4, 2010

powerful book about ww2 for teens.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! it is a powerful statement about how foster children were treated in WW2.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMzrokks August 21, 2011

Magnificent, melancholy, a classic

This is not a happy book. But it is an absolutely brilliant one. The reader lives through the Second World War with a young girl in Nazi Germany, told exceptionally well by Death Himself. There is some language, but nothing a mature 12-year old couldn't take. If you remember this is a sad book, then you'll realize this for the classic it is. A testament to humanity.
Kid, 10 years old June 4, 2010

Loved it!

This book was hard to get into I admit, but once I started reading it, I could not stop! I would recommend this book to people who know that something like this wouldn't happen to them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byKass April 9, 2008

Astonishing

The Book Thief is by and large the greatest, most profound book I've read in the past year, one that I will cherish for its mesmerizing prose and haunting tale. Narrated by Death, who is at once compassionate, bitter, and matter-of-fact, the tale follows the coming of age of a young German girl. Left in the care of Munich family during the duration of the second world war, Liesel's encounters with love, prejudice, thievery, music, and the staggering power of words are traced over the course of four years until the story culminates in a series of events as tragic as they are hopeful. You will not be disappointed.
Kid, 12 years old September 29, 2010

great book

love it! you have to read it, thats all im gonna say! lol
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBookThief616 August 3, 2010

The Best Book I've Ever Read!

This book is my FAVORITE! I read it non-stop for about a week! I was obsessed! I even cried when I finished because I would miss the characters! I am 13 and this is one of my summer reading books, but I am SO glad I read it! Many adults have this as a "Book Club" book. (Many people asked what I was reading and mentioned that it was in their book club) Even though it is suitable for adults, it is AMAZING for teens my age. A deep message. A few warnings though: Much killing. Hitler being praised by some characters. Some bad language. Other than that... I LOVE THIS BOOK!
Teen, 14 years old Written bymanning fan April 22, 2010

It's better to let kids know what is and has happened rather than protecting them

beautifully written narrator was a good choice one of my all time favorite books
Teen, 15 years old Written byJL November 13, 2008

Hmmm....

The book was very creative and interesting, having the book written by 'Death' was brilliant. However. The Language in the book is absolutely horrid. The Girl's foster mother, her friends, she herself. It's horribly foul language. Because the book is written by death, it does not have a 'happily ever after' *spoiler* the main character, Lisel, does live, but almost no one else does. The story is not good enough to justify the foul language so I really cannot recommend it to you. I appreciate the creativity, but no, not the best read out there.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI am Running to... July 11, 2010

Chilling!

I have to read this for school. It is such a dark subject matter, but the narrator uses humor to lighten it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

Fantastic especially if you're interested by the period of conflict like me

Kid, 12 years old April 28, 2015

A beautiful story

The Book Thief is a bittersweet story. The author, Markus Zusak, tells an inspirational, and beautiful story. Even though most of the characters die at the end, it’s still a great story. Markus tells the story through Death’s point of view, which I find a good fit for the book. Death is somehow a little sarcastic to me. The book tells a lot about WWII. When Liesel finds a Jew in her basement, her life takes a turn. She befriends the Jew, Max, and they become friends. The Book Thief is a good children’s book. I would say, fourteen. You really have to think about the things said in that book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBchatterton18 April 8, 2015

A book that changed my way of thinking

This book was absolutely amazing! I loved every part of it and couldn't put it down! If you are looking for a book that will surely bring tears to your eyes this is a book for you. This book made me change my way of thinking. It made me realized a different perspective of death (the narrartor). The author was amazing and I will surely be reading more of his books.
Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2015

Kid, 12 years old March 29, 2015

Best. Book. Ever.

This is my new favorite book. It was amazing! The characters were awesome, and I think that having Death narrate the story was a nice twist that I have never seen in writing before. It gives the book a category all its own. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone who is in need of a break from dystopia, or just needs a great historical fiction book.