All member reviews for The Book Thief

Powerful testament to humanity in Nazi Germany.

Teen, 16 years old Written byILoveBroadway January 18, 2015

The Book Thief

The Book Thief is easily one of my favorites! It's certainly a heavier book that will make you think. Zusak did a wonderful job of capturing the scene of a Nazi Germany town. The narrator, a personified Death, is comical and gives the reader a unique look of the world through his eyes. The book lightly included and mentioned alcohol and cigarettes but none of which were excessively used. I did not like some of the language throughout the book, but it should not be anything too difficult for a teenager or mature preteen to handle. Since it is based in World War II, it includes Anti-Semitic comments from some characters. Incredibly beautifully written story that is sure to please!
Adult Written bycollaborate.fmc December 31, 2014

BEST BOOK EVER

Oh my gosh! I read this book when I was 10 years old and I fell in love with it. The characters are so vivid and compelling. I felt like they were all real and like I was talking to them. Yes, the storyline is dark and extremely sad, but the way that death is portrayed in this book is very metaphorical and it is not an inappropriate read. There are some swears, but most of them are not used in an inappropriate fashion. The ending is quite sad, I would suggest tissues. It is an amazing book to read and you will certainly want to read it over and over and over!!! I think that kids should be able to read this to learn about the history of our country through good and bad times. This is such a good book. Markus Zusak is a genius.
Teen, 16 years old Written bythatintrestingirl December 6, 2014

My all time favorite book!

Markus Zusack origonaly wrote this book for adults, but the YA audunce pickeded up... Even though the main chatacter is a pree teen and teen in the story, deth is the narater so it has both a masculine and feminine ballence... I think this book is fine for anyone over 13, thats when I first read it myself! There is A LOT of death in the story, but all of it has meaning, it is not mindles volience. But there are some intence immages, and deth is a very intence subject. there is a wee bit of swearing, most of the swearing is in german, if you don't understand German you do learn some greatght swearwords form the 40s! the first line in the book is "you are going to die" deth speeks the the reader a lot, but you begin to know him as a person and dair i say e becomes likeable! This book is beautifuly written as well! I read this book three times in one year, and it helped me deal with a lot of sad deaths around me (including the suside of a close friend) This is a must read for everyone, and if you are under 13 make shure you are mature anough to handle a lot of death talk. just remember that this book will tear your hart out, run it over with a steemrolar then put your hart back to gether a gain! YOU HAVE TO READ THIS BOOK!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygreensage16 November 26, 2014

Absolutley Stunning

This book is by far one of the best books I've ever read. The writing style was incredible and one of kind. The Book Thief gave me an entirely new view of WWII. It's a must-read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJosieD October 29, 2014

This book captures the live of a young girl living in Nazi Germany. It is defiantly a difficult read because Zusac does not shy away from the suffering in that time, and he shows that by using death as the narrator for the book. Parents should be aware that this book clearly shows death as a theme for this story. The odd way that Zusac writes is what makes this book so interesting and a story that everyone should read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPotterheadWhovian104 October 18, 2014

A wow of a novel.

Just wow. You love all of the characters, you feel so much sadness but all of the joys of childhood and young teenhood and you just FEEL so much when reading this. It does have some sensitive subjects and it IS a book meant for the teens, but if you have a mature 10 year old, I'm sure they could handle it.
Kid, 12 years old October 5, 2014

Inspiring and wonderful

This book is really touching and enjoyable, I cried at the end, it was so sad
Parent Written byCapucine October 3, 2014

Good rythm and special way of writing

Quite a sad ending.
Teen, 14 years old Written bytaylorrolyat13 September 24, 2014

Amazing!

This is one if my favorite books I've ever read. Marcus Zusak is a master with words. However, it is a bit dark and depressing (not that anybody was expecting a uplifting story about Nazi Germany). This story was so well written that it makes it hard to believe its fiction! Highly recommended to mature tweens and up!
Kid, 12 years old September 3, 2014

A 13+ age book but okayish for 12 years old

This book is a great book to read. I'm currently reading this book for summer vacation homework. I'm in love with this book. However, i think there are one or two parts in which i think it is 13+ but everything else is good for 12 years. If you don't want your kids reading those one or two parts which is for 13+ i think then don't. To be honest i feel weird reading them myself and also they are really small parts so this really is what you think. The book is amazing to what i think but it depends on you if u want to read it or not but to make sure read other reviews by parents to see what they think and then see if you want to see your child reading them. This is my review and i hope this helps you on reading this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjujube14 May 29, 2014

Brilliant

This story teaches the reader about life, words, friendship, and tragedy. The story is brilliant and can be summed up as a masterpiece. The writing is gorgeous and poetic and one of my all time favorites! (P.S. -spoiler---- it may take you a while to emotionally recover from the ending... As it did with me)
Teen, 16 years old Written byRose1011 May 29, 2014

A great book for everyone!

This was a really good book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMr_Toom May 14, 2014

Great Book

It's a great book, exiting, humorous, but still with the sadness of the time.
Kid, 11 years old May 13, 2014

Breath taking and heartwrenching

This book is truly a masterpiece. every thing from the narrator to the authors note is really well written.the narrator is very unique but sometimes very intense. This is a great book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustMai1215 May 3, 2014

Kid, 10 years old May 1, 2014

OMG!

ok i loved this book!!! great for middle shcool!! a lot of swearing, but its nothing a middle schooler cant handle since most of it was in germna!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byLilyLynne April 27, 2014

My favorite book!

This book is my favorite of all time, and it is so beautiful. It is based in Germany in world war 2. It does not promote either side in the war, although characters are scared of being bombed by the Americans. Jewish prisoners are paraded down the street and a man tries to give bread to a jew. He is whipped for it in the street. A young teenage girl drinks champagne. There is some language in this book, but swearing is rare. A jew is hidden in a basement, but he has to leave later on in the book. He is caught by nazis, and the main character sees him in a parade of jews. The main character, liesel, and her best friend steal often, but liesel is most interested in stealing books. An entire street of people is killed by bombs the Americans mistakenly dropped there. Liesel kisses a boy for the first time as he is dying because of the bombs, and they are both about 14. This book is so devastatingly beautiful.
Kid, 11 years old April 19, 2014

AWESOME

I'm 11 and I thought that this book was really good. It's about a girl growing up in germany during the holocaust. there is some violence like the nazis hitting jews and stuff but i think it was really good.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM April 17, 2014

A Short Tribute of Praise

The theme is simple: humans have great capacity for many things (courage, committing atrocity, overcoming obstacles, etc) but more importantly for good or for evil. The words used to express this are so simple, and the meanings so grand and many; this is the power of Zusak's, something you rarely find in modern literature. Free verse sometimes appeared so lazily executed, and the looser forms of fictional composition so popular among writers ill used. Zusak accomplished eloquence; this is what I truly admire about this book, in addition to his dynamic perspective and bold approach to using Death as the narrator. The story itself stuck out from among many books in a heralded genre, Holocaust literature, by its exploration of the correlation of words and human actions. Brilliant and well-woven. To truly understand this novel, it should be read at least twice-over; I can sense that I have missed several connections between the two subjects while devouring the story. I recommend this story for fifteen year-olds and older because of the depth and maturity of the themes. Uncountable instances of foul language and a scene of nudity also propel me to recommend this for older teens. I hope they continue to introduce the novel to schools; Zusak's writing style deserves to be analyzed.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviefanatic88 March 24, 2014

Boring start but fabulous end!

(This will sound awful) But the book was a little slow the first couple hundred pages. It didn't really reach its full potential till the last 100 pages (I was SOBBING). Very poignant and moving. There wasn't necessarily "too much violence", but it may be too intense for some kids.