All member reviews for The Book Thief

Powerful testament to humanity in Nazi Germany.

Teen, 13 years old Written byandantandie July 7, 2012

Historical fiction CAN be interesting (and AMAZING)

This book was AMAZING. The best historical fiction I've ever read. I cried, I laughed, and I sobbed (in that order). The ending was horribly and perfectly sad. I feel like I really did KNOW the characters who died, and it's almost as though their death was a loss in my life as well as Liesel's. This book could easily be read and loved by 12 year olds, as long as they are mature and devoted readers.
Teen, 15 years old Written byfluffy1234567890 May 14, 2012

MY REVIEW ABOUT THE THIEF LORD

this is a really nice book but i think only 8 year olds and up should read this book because it is not really appropriate for little kids. so readers out there if you have a younger family member please tell them to read this book when they are old enough to read this book. THANK YOU
Kid, 12 years old May 13, 2012

Book Theif

This is an amazing book. I will say it has quite a bit of objectionable language, but it actually made me laugh! Read it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycaptaingabs April 5, 2012

Hey, Hollywood? Here's a book to be made into a movie.

This book is probably one of my absolute favorites, right up there with "Sarah's Key" and "The Devil's Arithmetic". Liesel is an extremely strong character, even though she is a character that very few of us will be able to relate to. With her determination, love for her best friend and foster parents, and her love of stealing books, everything she does gives you a thrill of excitement that will make you want to keep reading. There is a fair amount of swearing, in both German and English, but this is a book for adults, even though I think kids who will understand the mature content will enjoy it. There is no sexual content: The worst of it is Liesel's best friend, Rudy, wanting a kiss from her, which she refuses. "The Book Thief" should definitely be on your list of books to read before you die.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHugeReader123 December 14, 2011

A TIMELESS CLASSIC....

First off, this is an amazing book. It's the best I've read, and I've read a LOT. It shows how it was like living in Communistic Germany during the second world war. It's from death's point of view, so it's different. In a good way. It's got a bit of cursing. For the sexual contnet, Liesel kisses a dead body. I won't tell who, just in case you're going to read this book. Rudy and Liesel steal food, books, money, because they are starving. Liesel smokes. The mother calls her some dirty names out of love. There's a suicide, but it's not very graphic. Like I said before, this is a wonderful book. It's a timeless classic. It's beautifully written. I recomend this book to EVERYONE.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBroadwayBaby33 August 6, 2011

Amazing.

This book is amazing, heartbreaking, and emotional. The writing is amazing, and though the story is spoiled early on, it doesn't stop the ending from being less tragic. There is quite a bit of violence. The whole story is told from the perspective of Death, who is very matter-of-fact about death, and life. **Spoilers** All of Liesel's family and friends die in a horrific bombing at the end of the book. **End of spoilers** The whole thing is wrought with an underlying message of terror and despair, but in the end, hope shines through. There is quite a bit of language. Every chapter has at least 3 uses of a**, a**hole, s***, and other foul language. Some of it is in German, but the author isn't afraid to swear in English, also. Nudity is talked of in detail, and though it is slightly disturbing, it isn't sexualized. This book is very, very good, and I highly recommend it to anyone over the age of 11. It's a powerful read, and sometimes you just have to stop reading and let it sink in.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNicoleleon June 25, 2011

Educational

It gives children a good background on what it was like under the Nazis.
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2011

Sad But Really Good

I loved this book. I have already read it twice and will probably read it many more times. It is a rather sad book. I don't want to give anything away, but the book starts off sad and the ending will make you cry. There are good role modles in this book like Papa, Max and Lisel. When I first started reading the book I was I bit confused because the narrator was Death. Kinda different. Some of the vocabulary was a bit confusing for me. I probably could have waited another year or two to read it because the first time around I had to read some pages several times before I understood it. But when I read it this year I loved I even more. As far as the bad laguage goes I would say most of its in German so I didn't really know what it ment and didn't really think about it. I learned I lot about what was going on in that time period. There is quite a bit of of violence some of it made me really sad. I would say that over all this is a really good book. A page turner.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 May 4, 2011
I absolutely loved this book. The whole Liesel and Rudy thing was completely perfect because of how they didn't make a big deal about it until the end. Her relationship with Max was a little wierd, but otherwise it was really good. I cried at the end. You have to read it because it is seriously amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGrace1111 April 24, 2011
This is probably one of my favorite books. I loved the message, the plot, the writing style, and everything else about it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDgsrok April 3, 2011

Amazing book for teens and up

I absolutely LOVED this book. I have never like any of Zusak's books but after reading this I craved more of his writing. The mood of this book is so dark and it shows what happened in Nazi Germany to some of the kids. It made me think about what happened then and ever since i haven't been able to stop reading books like this one. This is a must read.
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2011

A Light in the Darkness

With a starting chapter by the name of "chocolate and death" my eyes were easily burning with the fuel of curiosity. Then you are welcomed to that world by the hand of a shady character that seems supernatural, almost unreal. Were you are introduced to 3 highlits of the story. A girl, a jewish fist fighter, and headstrong germans. From then on I feel in love with the words. Markus Zusak led me in a breathtaking adventure were its proved over and over again that even the smallest light in the darkness shines brightly and fierce. Though the pages are smeared with language and breathed with violence. There is perseverance, friendship, positiveness, patience, love, and kindness. It shows you that even in such remote, dark places as nazi Germany people fought for what was right. Unforgettable characters, chilling story line. When you read this book there are times your eyes will water with happiness and your heart skip with hearty laughs and others were you will cry and bang the book screaming "Why? Why? Why?".
Teen, 13 years old Written bySafemancam001 February 13, 2011

Lots of bad language. Not for young tweens and under.

This is a great book. It makes the Holocaust and WWII very interesting from a young girl's perspective.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2010

Great for kids wanting to read a great book.

Love it! I read it when I was 9. Language is a problem in this book.This book is about the Holocaust so of course it is violent. Everything fro death camps to airplane crashing.The end is so sad you will need tissues
Teen, 16 years old Written byjenneliz December 11, 2010
this was an amazing book every one should read it
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written by15hsmith October 11, 2010

Boring but appropriate

One of the most boring books I've ever read. It was ok educationally and from an adults point of view but I thought that it was way too complicated and extremely boring
Kid, 12 years old September 16, 2010
Teen, 14 years old Written byDiamondSheire August 22, 2010
Teen, 15 years old Written byapple13j1 July 22, 2010

13+

I thought this was a very educational and well written novel about Nazi Germany.