All member reviews for The Book Thief

Powerful testament to humanity in Nazi Germany.

Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2011

Sad But Really Good

I loved this book. I have already read it twice and will probably read it many more times. It is a rather sad book. I don't want to give anything away, but the book starts off sad and the ending will make you cry. There are good role modles in this book like Papa, Max and Lisel. When I first started reading the book I was I bit confused because the narrator was Death. Kinda different. Some of the vocabulary was a bit confusing for me. I probably could have waited another year or two to read it because the first time around I had to read some pages several times before I understood it. But when I read it this year I loved I even more. As far as the bad laguage goes I would say most of its in German so I didn't really know what it ment and didn't really think about it. I learned I lot about what was going on in that time period. There is quite a bit of of violence some of it made me really sad. I would say that over all this is a really good book. A page turner.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySosie98 May 4, 2011

I absolutely loved this book. The whole Liesel and Rudy thing was completely perfect because of how they didn't make a big deal about it until the end. Her relationship with Max was a little wierd, but otherwise it was really good. I cried at the end. You have to read it because it is seriously amazing.
Teen, 15 years old Written byGrace1111 April 24, 2011

This is probably one of my favorite books. I loved the message, the plot, the writing style, and everything else about it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDgsrok April 3, 2011

Amazing book for teens and up

I absolutely LOVED this book. I have never like any of Zusak's books but after reading this I craved more of his writing. The mood of this book is so dark and it shows what happened in Nazi Germany to some of the kids. It made me think about what happened then and ever since i haven't been able to stop reading books like this one. This is a must read.
Kid, 12 years old February 21, 2011

Amazing, powerful book

I found this book in an airport bookstore after having run out of reading material before we even got on the plane, so I thought it looked interesting, and said "Oh, what the heck." I had never dreamed it would be even close to this touching, or powerful, or anything of that nature. Markus Zusak is a brilliant writer and portrays the era and emotions in this book perfectly. All the characters are memorable, but when the character of Rudy was introduces, I really realized how incredible this book truly is. I won't say anything about it, but towards the end, make sure you have a box of tissues. I was crying for hours. 5 stars, hands down.
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2011

A Light in the Darkness

With a starting chapter by the name of "chocolate and death" my eyes were easily burning with the fuel of curiosity. Then you are welcomed to that world by the hand of a shady character that seems supernatural, almost unreal. Were you are introduced to 3 highlits of the story. A girl, a jewish fist fighter, and headstrong germans. From then on I feel in love with the words. Markus Zusak led me in a breathtaking adventure were its proved over and over again that even the smallest light in the darkness shines brightly and fierce. Though the pages are smeared with language and breathed with violence. There is perseverance, friendship, positiveness, patience, love, and kindness. It shows you that even in such remote, dark places as nazi Germany people fought for what was right. Unforgettable characters, chilling story line. When you read this book there are times your eyes will water with happiness and your heart skip with hearty laughs and others were you will cry and bang the book screaming "Why? Why? Why?".
Teen, 13 years old Written bySafemancam001 February 13, 2011

Lots of bad language. Not for young tweens and under.

This is a great book. It makes the Holocaust and WWII very interesting from a young girl's perspective.
Kid, 11 years old December 27, 2010

Great for kids wanting to read a great book.

Love it! I read it when I was 9. Language is a problem in this book.This book is about the Holocaust so of course it is violent. Everything fro death camps to airplane crashing.The end is so sad you will need tissues
Teen, 16 years old Written byjenneliz December 11, 2010

this was an amazing book every one should read it
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written by15hsmith October 11, 2010

Boring but appropriate

One of the most boring books I've ever read. It was ok educationally and from an adults point of view but I thought that it was way too complicated and extremely boring
Kid, 12 years old September 16, 2010

Teen, 14 years old Written byDiamondSheire August 22, 2010

Teen, 15 years old Written byapple13j1 July 22, 2010

13+

I thought this was a very educational and well written novel about Nazi Germany.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReadingforlife May 12, 2010

if your thirteen this is a mouthfull

I am a 13 year old teen but at the time i read this book with my advanced reading class i admit it is very confusing to read but once you start reading you can put it down. I would read this book again and again and again and next time ill read it ill probably notice something new aboth the chartecters that i didnt notice the first time. This book has violence that could be a concern for younger children such as bombing and shoting in homes. Death as a narrator is very harsh but kind at the same time a spirt or soul you an comunicate with and realate to. The nazis and the villagers that agree with hitlers plans to extinguish the jews. This gives you many topics and background informaton on the war and hitlers and how buisnesses where shut down and how horrible was for jews and non-jews. the adults that are close to lisel ae good examples of role modelism for lisel and they tell her to carefull what she says and who she befriends. I recomend this book to teens...
Teen, 14 years old Written byBoOkwOrmxD May 11, 2010

Try It it wont harm you

At first when i picked it up, i thought it would be boring but i decided to read it since my teacher recommended it to me.Now that im done, i realize that it was a good read and a very interesting book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byorlyme April 19, 2010

Great book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysamcsmovies April 15, 2010

He managed to make a magnificent book out of the slaughter of WWII

Personally, I think it was a positive message that people did what was right at the risk of their lives. Also, as long as the reader understands about WWII they're not going to take the anti-semitism the wrong way. The ending is pretty heartbreaking and some of the main story is troubling, but the book is wonderfully written, thought out, and meaningful.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEve_Stargirl April 13, 2010

Perfect for all who can understand it

I loved it. The book showed so many things but I think that you need to be 14+ to understand and take in the story. The ending is heartbreaking so you may want to read just that (although it will be hard to understand the true sorrow if you haven't read the rest of the book), to see if your child would get to upset as it brought tears to my eyes and I rarely get effected by sad books.
Kid, 9 years old April 13, 2010

Perfect for older kids.

The main character is well, a book thief, and she likes to steal books for pleasure.