All member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Intense, powerful Holocaust book offers unique perspective.

Adult Written bymoviemadness April 9, 2008

A total must-read for tweens+

This heartbreaking story of friendship and innocence is too sad for younger kids. The book is well-written, and explores complex issues from a child's perspective. Wonderful and honest. One of the best books ever.
Kid, 12 years old April 1, 2015

Boy in striped pyjamas review

I thought it was a great book, although it does bring up some strong morals about how unfair the treatment was to Jewish people back then and I strongly recommend you talk to your parents after reading it. Overall I think it was really well written and was a great read.
Kid, 11 years old March 3, 2015

Sad

Very Sad. I read it when I was 9 and even at that age I understood the storyline. It is a very interesting book but I'll recommend it to everyone who's interested in WWII topics and can stomach sadness
Teen, 16 years old Written byZeus9805 January 2, 2015

Not really worth buying

I think that the book is good for younger ages. I enjoyed the book, but the book was too "watered down." It had next to nothing in terms of real information about the holocaust. At this point in WWII, every child in Germany, (save infants), knew who jews were and 'knew' to hate them. If Bruno had never heard of any of that, he must have been shut away from the world and was never leaving the house. Even his dad was a nazi and he still did not know.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycarolinea8 December 10, 2014

Awesome!

I love this book because its educational but also it incorporates suspense which is great! I am actually doing a book review project in class so I thought to help me I would fill this out! (;
Teen, 13 years old Written byjocelin1011 November 28, 2014

The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas

My thoughts on the book were good thoughts because of all of the violence that the book describes it should teach you that you should have respect for others. The whole theme on the book is about having respects for others. One of the central conflicts is that Bruno and Shmuel should of never been friends be because it's against Nazis belief. The difference between the book and the movie is that I noticed was the endings. In the book, the author simply mentions that Bruno's clothes were found by the fence and such. In the movie, however, Bruno's mother is running through the forest, looking for her already-dead son. I would recommended this book because its very interesting.
Teen, 13 years old Written byadriennejones08 September 19, 2014

Outstanding Holocaust Book

I had to read this book for my summer reading and it's a very good book. The story is a little sad just because of the situation and how poorly the soldiers treated the Jews back then, but other than that I think it was well written.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThe Hannah Claire April 12, 2014

Amazingly Tear-Jerking!

I absolutely loved this book. It was a quick read, nothing difficult and very simplistic. The only cussing was implied. The text would just say that the soldier cussed or something along those lines. A mom is obviously flirting with a man much younger but that doesn't go far. The saddest part of the book is at the very end. Bruno and Shmuel were just so innocent! They didn't know what was happening! You desperately need to read this book. Now.
Parent Written byjoannesmith February 10, 2014

Holocaust story with great potential has been watered down to inaccurate dullness

While the premise of this story has excellent potential for an educational yet emotional novel, John Boyne has weakened the actual facts of the Holocaust and made his characters dull and unrealistic. For one, a nine-year-old like Shmuel would not have lasted a year in Auschwitz. He would have been taken straight to the gas chambers upon arrival. And I find it highly improbable that the son of a high-ranking Nazi general would not know what a death camp, Hitler, a Nazi, or a Jew was. And the stupidity of the children in the story is almost unbearable. Bruno, in an attempt to be seen as "innocent", is oblivious and completely unaware of his surroundings to the point that I suspected he might have severe mental challenges, and Gretel is portrayed as far too immature for her age of 12-13. The author has watered down the brutal facts of the camps to the point that it is impossible that the events in the book would have even happened, even if Shmuel has escaped death for a year or more at the camp. For there to be a completely unguarded section of the -- electric -- fence where Bruno and Shmuel could talk, for there to be a hole big enough for a fat nine-year-old to slip through unharmed but no Jews that had ever escaped, and for Bruno to see absolutely no death during the time he spoke with Shmuel is absolutely impossible. Had the author perhaps reconstructed the premise, fixed the errors, and made characters of reasonable intelligence, this story may have been a tear-jerking, heartwrenching tale of the horrors of the Holocaust. Unfortunately, he didn't, and now we're left with an inaccurate and soft portrayal that almost leaves you thinking that the Holocaust might not have been all that bad.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhattyflatty January 20, 2014

Best book i have ever read!!!!

I would rate this a book a 9/10 because it gives you a sense of mystery it is very exciting and hooks you, so you carry on reading. I think it gives you a great insight into what happend to the jews during world war 2. The book has a very upsetting ending which makes up aprishiate what you have. I also think this book is sutibale for ages 10+ due to some upsetting and disturbing scenes.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2013

The boy in the striped pyjamas

Really thought proving book. It was really hard for me to stop reading it. The main character in this book is a nine year old boy, but is written for people who have a knowledge of World War Two. Sad ending, and was realistic. I loved this book
Teen, 13 years old Written bydeJong March 11, 2013

Innocent

This movie had a very interesting point of view. From the perspective of a little innocent boy. It was traumatic for me because of all of the cruelty towards the Jews. This movie made me understand why the Germans tried to expel the Jews. In the media they had propaganda. It opened my eyes and made me think about if I can always trust the media. Fantastic movie!
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Really good!

This was a very good emotional book.
Kid, 11 years old March 27, 2012

emotional drama.

it is a powerfull,emotional book that will need to be explained if not understood. this is a must read attention grabbing adventure which is sure to spark emotion.
Teen, 14 years old Written byarieth February 7, 2012

Nice

Nice book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHarriate Slate February 2, 2012

Sad, but amazing.

I first read this book when I was ten, with absolutely no knowledge as to what it was about. It did take me a while to really understand what the book was about; but think that, due to the style of narration, this made it easier to read it. At the time, I had very little more understanding of the subject than Bruno did, and this helped me to emphasize with Bruno. I think that if I attempted to read it now, for the first time; after having learnt about the holocaust, been to where it is set, and maybe even watched the film, I would not be able to finish it, but would like to reread it to gain a fuller understanding of the story.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBebhinn January 10, 2012

A good book

The book is great but slow to start.the end of the book you will remember. :)
Teen, 13 years old Written bysarahH. August 21, 2011

Heartwarming Friendship, Heartbreaking Tragedy

It is and amazing yet heart breaking novel but a great read. Though the main character is a 9 year old, it is not for someone of that age. They wont fully understand it because some parts need to be understood and you have to read between the lines. Seven themes that describe this novel are unconditional love, innocence, Loyalty, Intolerance, Friendship, Acceptance and Conformity.
Kid, 12 years old June 22, 2011

Sad. Bring and Tissue Box

It is a very good book, but the ending made me really sad and I cried a little bit. I thought reading it from Bruno's point of view helped my understand what was going on more.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwilightfan2459 April 19, 2011

we had to read this book at school and it complety exceeded my expectations. The cover doesnt show of much but its a powerful story which anyone can get into.The ending is powerful yet dealt with subtly and the movie is also a must following the reading of the book.