All member reviews for The Catcher in the Rye

One of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

Kid, 10 years old June 20, 2010

Perfect for preteens

I'm only 10, and I've read it. People here think 12 year olds act like 8 year olds. It's a favorite of mine, and a classic.
Adult Written byBtitt0546 March 9, 2010
I don't think a review of this book should come down just just rather I loved it or hated it. It was a difficult read for sure..but only because throughout the whole novel you are tryin to understand the psyche of Holden Caulfield, the main protagonist. And yes, the book does have some profain language and clear messages of how this world is "goin to s***" if you excuse the phrase...but honestly, this book is such an eye-opener to the world, even though it is in cynical view. This book is up for interpretation. But I do whole-heartedly believe that this book is THE ESSENTIAL coming-of-age novel for teens. But I still wouldnt recommended this book to the faint-of-heart or children under 15.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPrecious945 January 18, 2010

Worst book EVER written

I personnaly hate this book. I found it to be very BORING. I love reading and this is the first book i have read that i didnt like.This book made no sense whatsoever. I usually read a book this size in a few hours it took me a week! I had to keep putting it down, it was that awfull! If you are getting this book for free read it;if you have to pay for it PUT IT DOWN!
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2016

Catcher In The Rye- A Child's Point of View

I'm 12 years old myself, and I'm currently reading this book. It's extremely interesting, and I don't see how people might think it innapropriate. I've passed the part of which I cannot mention, I realize it isn't exactly for children... But an 11yr old is well beyond capable of reading something of this level. Some people cannot comprehend (mainly adults) that children don't realize what's out there in the world, they also don't realize that children can surpass the of a normal level of smartness for their age. No matter what the case is, like the old saying, you can't judge a book by its cover!
Parent Written bystan.maner June 22, 2016

Funny read

Very funny, original, and deep.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCaseyCOOLIO420blazei April 25, 2016

CATCHER IN THE RYE IS TRASH

The only good thing was that I could roll it up and blaze with it
Teen, 15 years old Written byMAGICUNICORN April 18, 2016

NOOOOO

I think this book is boring, its 192 pages written only about 3 days. Its just a guy rambling on and it put me to sleep. It had to much swearing in it and i think that it is not appropriate to be a school book. :)
Teen, 16 years old Written byConnor8462 March 21, 2016

Hi

It's alright, has an abrupt ending and is a little boring but not a bad book Repetitive swear words but aren't that bad, it's mild language at the most
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbar04 February 29, 2016

Teenagers

I'm reading this book for the first time for my English class research paper. I'm almost done with it, and I can tell you- skip it. I think that the older generation liked this book because of the themes, but for me, I don't think is a good book. The themes seem fake and it' s not that good of a book. There's a lot of bad language (pretty much every line of dialouge has profanity in it) and some references to sex. Holden is a teenager at conflict with himself. In the end, this book was relevant to teenagers in the last generation, and not our current generation. It's really not worth your time.
Teen, 17 years old Written byJennyfggg January 27, 2016

The catcher in the rye

I read the book just in a few days. In the beginning the story seemed a little boring and confusing, but it got better towards the end. At first, it was strange to read the text because it was written in spoken language. The main character Holden was interesting, not to mention the chaotic happenings in the two days of his life after getting expelled from his school. All in all the book was quite amusing and it told a great story of a teen-aged boy. I recommend the book for especially teen-agers and young adults because it teaches you what's important in life and what's not.
Teen, 16 years old Written byalexaaaaaa December 28, 2015

The Catcher in the Rye

I thought The Catcher in the Rye was okay. There was not really a plot to the novel and I just felt that the story was ongoing. There was nothing to look forward to or any suspension. Overall, the topic of the book was okay, but it was not as interesting as I was expecting it to be.
Teen, 16 years old Written byamcewen14 September 20, 2015

Important read

I am making this review because I hope that if a parent is on the fence about this novel, they will see this and understand why The Catcher in the Rye is such an important book. I first started to read this book when I was 13 and checked it out from the school library. I only made it 20 pages before I gave up on the book, purely because I couldn't quite understand it. Three years later, when I was 16, I bought the book to read at my own leisure. It took me only four days to read because I found myself so caught up in the novel. A while after I finished the book, I was caught wondering why there was so much controversy around it. There wasn't anything in this book that I found more inappropriate than what I see or hear everyday at school. This book is a story I know i will read again and again throughout my life and I think it's important for every teen to read. You are doing your child a disservice by not allowing them to read The Catcher in the Rye. I say 14 and up only because after age 14 do i think that kids will be able to fully understand it. If you are a parent that often finds themselves censoring your kids by not allowing them to listen to certain music, watch certain movies, or setting up parental controls on the TV even though your child is past the age of 13, then I know you will probably not allow them to read this book. Holding things like this back, you are setting your child up for failure as you are not exposing them to what the world really is like, and it's not that bad. People that didn't like the book or thought that the profanity was more important than the messages should not be the ones that you base your opinion of the book on , because in the end, they just didn't understand.
Teen, 16 years old Written byEmilyshae March 10, 2015
The Catcher in the Rye is an overall good book. You have to be able to keep up with the storyline because it jumps around just a little bit. There is a lot of swearing, drinking, and sexual references, but that is pretty common among teens anyway. Holden has a lot of problems with getting away from the school and I feel like most teens would be able to connect with the decisions and the way he thinks about certain situations. It is a good book to read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byyasmin_sah January 14, 2015

Amazing!

At first I thought the book was hideous, boring and was going to be too depressing. I'll admit it was depressing but still amazing. But i do not think that people under 16 should read it, I am 17 and still thought that it was a bit over.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywhiteblack November 27, 2014

Insightful

This book does not have a fast paced plot; however this in no way stops it from being a riveting page turner. The main character, a 16 year old boy, encapsulates the essence of the angst, pain and confusion of adolescents. He is extremely perceptive for his age and as a result the reader is alerted to many problems in our society. Such as the ‘phoniness’ of modern society and the pursuit of sex for pleasure rather than love. Although this book was written in 1951, it is still relatively easy to read and the largely colloquial language gives a gritty real feeling. This is a classic that every teenager should read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byadin22 September 21, 2014

Know your kid

As cliche and pretentious as it may seem, The Catcher in the Rye is my favorite book. I have read it several times, the first being when I had just turned nine years old. Sex, drugs, and swear words were no secret to me, and so did not disturb me in the book. I didn't turn into a crazy sex-obsessed drug addict and many other kids won't upon reading the book. Of course, some children are more mature and aware than others, and if you do allow your kid to read this book, you should definitely tell them that Holden's language and obsessions are not normal or "okay", and just do your job as a parent and teach your kids how to have a proper moral compass. In the end, it really just comes down to how well you know your kid; obviously, don't let a sheltered, ignorant kid read this book, at least without having a conversation with them first. -A teenage girl who turned out alright (so far)
Teen, 14 years old Written byMetalman173 February 10, 2014

One of the best books I've ever read.

Very good but is at a *very* advanced reading level
Teen, 17 years old Written byBestPicture1996 September 27, 2013

Quite the catch...

Full of repeated catchphrases (most kids do repeat themselves a lot, Salinger did nail that part of the book) and constant complaining, "Catcher in the Rye" was made for my age group, and I'm ultimately glad I read it, it's just one of those books that critics seem ready to hail as the greatest piece of literature in human history. It's not, at least not IMO, but it's an enjoyable read, and a quirky look into the life of a kid who may not yet be ready for the uncaring world ahead.
Teen, 15 years old Written byEve Lo December 8, 2012

Needs some corrections, great review so far!

The book shows about how the world is filled with evilness as people lose their innocence when they grow up. Holden does possess bad behaviors himself, such as yelling abusive comments, smoking, drinking alcohol,etc but he gives an overview on the problems he has after losing his innocence. The Language section should be given a 4 out of 5 because of constant swear words(especially the notorious "Godd---m" used constantly). Sex should be rated 2 out of 5 also, Violence-2 out of 5.
Teen, 16 years old Written byArtichokes-United August 20, 2012

A really really great book

Wonderful thought-provoking writing that translates seamlessly to this day and age. Great for critical and pleasure reading. Was not a boring read at all. Just read it. That's all I can really say...