All member reviews for The Catcher in the Rye

One of the greatest novels of the 20th century.

Teen, 17 years old Written bykay123 April 25, 2010

Parents i know you think this book isnt good enough for your kids but truthfully this is what they go to school and talk about. This is what they see everyday on t.v and in magazines. They are going to learn it one way or another. Have your kid read the book and talk about it together what your views on it was. The worst thing you can do is try to protect your kid from the big bad world.. because thats going to hurt them in the long run. I think kids should start reading this about 6th or 7th grade.
Teen, 17 years old Written byVictor A. May 29, 2011

Judgement.

listen i don't normally give my opinion on anything on the internet. actually not at all. but i feel responsible for having to say something. parents and teens or even kids need to realize something about this book. whether a book is good or bad is of utter opinion. But the importance of it is all to real.My name is Christian A. Guevara and im not your average teen. Im a little smarter than most and almost completely isolated in my way of thinking in the sense that i always think in a more moral philosophical view. It is important for me to tell you who i am for you to truly understand. look the world is what it is. It does not provide cushions for you when you face reality. And each person has their own view on it depending on how they grew up. On this particular book, its from the perspective of a specific teenager. so if you dont understand where he is coming from or have no idea why he feels the way he does except through over opinioted reviews, then please dont jump to say your negative 2 cents about it. of course opinions are to be respected and you have every right to do so but think thourougly before doing so because you might drive others away from what might be a life changing read for the reader. both parents and kids of a certain age need to realize that although people are grey areas, the world is black and white. it is what it is, to put it simply.I connected to this book in the sense that my way of thinking is the same as Holden. Yes, he is selfish and a madman. Is this bad? It is not for us to say. It has been benifitial to me and everyone around me that i love. Holden is a fictional character that represents what many of us have gone through, and is the manifestation of what just a few of us have gone through. Parents, love it or hate it this book depicts the truth going on around our world. You of all people should know that this vulgar language is only as bad as we make it. It is in every day life, and honestly its not that big a deal.Neither is sexuality. Its not so much the age of the kid as much as it is the moral values, intelligence and manor to which the child has been raised. If the child has been raised in a non tolerant household that fluffs up the real world, of course the child is going to be disturbed by this. and kids, teens, whatever, please read this book. hell, you might not make the least bit connection with it but it is a very real statement and your first insight of the truth. All his complaining, which i agree he does frequently is a message. These are very real problems facing the world from ignorant blondes at a bar to the ultimate future and ignorant state of mind that our innocent children are going to grow up to face. I dont recommend you read this book until your 16 though. not because of the language or the sex or the violence or the moral aspect of it. live your life with open eyes and observe silently. if all goes well, when you read this book youll see the very nature of the true geniuses living around you. and youll realize that mostly all the time, the "smart people" arent always the ones getting straight A's.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybookwyrm December 29, 2010

Adult Written byGracesbigsis July 14, 2010

The worst book I've ever read

I will never understand how this book got published to begin with. There is nothing enjoyable about it. There is no set plotline. It is the ramblings of a selfish, spoiled jerk who squeezes any positivity out of the story with profane language and constant moaning. I would recommend that no one be forced to read this book in school. I love reading but this is nothing but constant trash talk from a teenager who is growing older and yet becoming less mature. It annoys me when I hear about this being a great novel with themes and messages. We should have saved the trees instead of printing this poor excuse for a novel. Truthfully, I cannot think of a single positive thing to say about it or I would. I know there are people who love this book and I respect that but the schools are so tight with censorship in every other area, why aren't they banning this book which has more language than some R-rated movies?
Adult Written bycks01 April 9, 2008

Never let a child read this! Terrible!

This book was FULL of profanity and innuendos. The main character lives an immoral few days in the city thinking of nothing but sex and lying his way through everything without consequences. The writing was so poor that the only new vocabulary your child could pick up are things their teacher's will call you about when they use them at school. Worst book ever!
Teen, 17 years old Written byKimiChop March 26, 2009

If you got nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all......

We read this for my senior year and the moment i read the first swear word, i was turned off- COMPLETELY. I begrudgingly read the book and was completely appauled by what i was reading. Chapter 6 has 61 swear words in it alone! in my book, that was about 6 pages averaging 10 swear words a page. Instead of getting a test on the book and all the underneathness that there is behind the book, my english teacher decides us to write a critical anaylasis paper reguarding an issue or topic of the book of our choice. i hated the book to begin with, why would i want to write a 3-5 page paper about it? i was last to come up with my thesis which took several revisions before actually getting to the approved one. Here are a few passages from my paper: " This crude display of a teenage boy from the 50’s shouldn’t be allowed for children to read about because Holden is totally inappropriate for all his swearing and all his explicit references to sex. Sure movies today that kids see do that stuff but it’s really is completely repelling and repulsive because it’s bad enough that it’s being thrown at our younger generation, there shouldn’t be a verbal idea of what Holden or his friends do, with girls. Who, if you went out and surveyed people on the streets, from all age groups, actually wants to hear about that? The best parts in the book were when you read about Holden’s childhood memories of Jane Gallagher in chapter 11, pages 76-80 and when he was with his younger sister, Phoebe—at the end of the book—chapter 21 pages 158-180! Catcher is plagued with an over abundant negativity swallowing what little positivity the book does hold in it; therefore, making the book less pleasurable to delve into and especially difficult to see what’s really happening! [...] All of Holden’s swearing and talk of sex and super pessimistic, unenthusiastic attitude can really burden a person and the text. I mean there’s just a few more really nice things to read about with Phoebe but not majorly huge if you proportioned it to the rest of awfulness resonating in Holden’s life. You miss the whole fact that Holden is going through teen depression! That’s what the whole book is showing. But it’s super easy to miss with all the putridness that’s happening in the story. Why exactly did J.D. Salinger decide for Holden’s story to be that way? That’s almost like trying to figure out if "Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll is a book for adults, or a book for children. It really is a mystery. But you are the ultimate judge on whether this book, "Catcher in the Rye", is a good book or not. That all lies on personal opinion. I myself find it the absolute worst book I’ve ever read right up there above "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding and "Where the Red Fern Grows" by Wilson Rawls. So is it a bad book with little good parts or a good book with lots of bad parts? " I mean my friend loved the book. I couldnt get past the swearing and sex-talk-AND IM 17!! I didnt hate the entire book tho. i really loved the jane gallagher flashback and the stuff with phoebe-but that was it. i dont see the whole hoopla about the book. i would have been suuuuuper content with a censered book to read. i myself went through depression and the lose of someone who was practically my brother, but i related nothing to Holden in the slightest. if i would have read the book on my own (which is highly doubtful after the first page) i would have missed 100% that Holden was suffering from depression. its just so hidden. this is no quick, fun, light read so if thats the kind of book you're looking for, youre in the wrong place. but if you want to find a deeper meaning in a book, and can stand sex-talk, swearing, smoking and drinking in what i would consider a fictional character who's still a child, then be my guest!
Teen, 13 years old Written by Alice June 22, 2011

A Classic

I first read this last year, in grade six. (No, not as assigned reading.) Anyway, I wrote my book report on it and turned it in, just like with all the other books I read. My teacher read said book report and was absolutely horrified that I had read this. She called my mother because she felt the need to tell her that I was reading "profanity filled trash" and that I was "damaging my innocent mind." My mother just responded with "So?" The reason I chose to tell about my own personal experiences with reading this is to tell parents this message: Yes, there are some things in this book that some may find offensive, but it is a book your kids 12 and up should read. The Catcher in the Rye is a wonderful novel that many teens can relate to. Basically, it's about a boy named Holden Caulifield who gets kicked out of his elite boarding school because he is failing most of his classes. Before he goes home, he spends a few days in New York City and reflects on childhood innocence and rails against phoniness. Overall, this is one of the best coming of age novels out there.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMichael_1212 August 20, 2009

Unbelievable

This is such a disappointing piece of work. I am all for self expression through literature but one has absolutely no need for revolting profanity an continuous sexual reference to do so. Catcher in the Rye is a highly unenjoyable piece and I wish I hadn't been forced to read it through my school's curriculum. What a waste.
Adult Written bythewittyman27 April 9, 2008

i hated this book

this is one of the most pointless books i have ever written, and the protagonist is not in the least bit endearing or enticing. he is just incredibly annoying, and i did not care in the least what happened to him. i realize he is supposed to be annoying and hypocritical, but all that this book manages to do for me is make me wonder why i am wasting my time with this garbage. also, i wonder how this has come to be know as fine literature, whereas an entertaining book such as harry potter is considered a children's book. i honestly 100% do not understand why everyone obsesses over this book. but i guess a lot more people like this book than me so if you are reading this i would actually suggest you read it because the odds are that you will enjoy it because so many others have.
Teen, 16 years old Written byjessicarwalker June 16, 2011

let 'em read it!

Kids these days hear more swearing on through the media, so a little swearing from this book isn't going to hurt. Stop being such a prude and let your kid read it. It is an awesome book!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoonbeamsPotter March 28, 2011

-The way Salinger builds these characters is just incredible. You can feel the pain, joy, and annoyance that the main character, Holden, feels. -It is important to realize that throughout the book there are 2 Holdens speaking. There is the Holden whose life is being written about and the Holden who is telling the story. -I love the connection between Holden and his sister. - (Spoilers...in a way) The metaphor Salinger includes is fantastic. Holdon is always asking "Where do the ducks go in the winter?" He really isn't asking about the ducks, he's asking about himself. Where does HE go. I suggest you all watch this video for more on Catcher and the Rye: dft.ba/-f_8
Adult Written byThe page turns you April 22, 2010

Round file this waste of time.

The idea contained herein is to give a view into the human condition. This is done by one teenager ranting and raving about how crappy his life is. Point 1 - If your life is not crappy you are most likely in denial. Your average reader with a positive review of this book is a "phony" as described in the book. They put on a false face for the betterment of themselves. If they aren't a phony, they are the kid himself-a whiny brat so absorbed in himself and the way people are that he keep ranting about it for a full weekend. Instead of doing something about it or making some sort of decision about how he should live his life, he yaks about it for three days. Point - 2 A book about one kid yapping incessantly is not a masterpiece. Its a modicum of garbage only good for occupying the time of upper-class twits too stupid figure things out for themselves. Usually these point systems come in threes-I guess the third point would have to be how outdated this piece of crap is. It's written in an uneducated slang that hasn't been used widely for several decades. Point 3 - Reading out of touch novels only puts you more out of touch.
Adult Written bysoftpatball April 9, 2008

Disappointed my child was reading the book for a class!

I did not know that teachers could require my children to read such trash without my permission. For my son to read God's name being taken in vane over & over was disturbing. He wanted another book to read & we are waiting to receive it. There should be an alternative book offered from the beginning.Parents should be informed of the adult content in books. I am doing a book review to a committee at the school to band the book or at least have alternative books to read.
Parent of an infant year old Written byFaffy December 18, 2014

Worst book I've read since 1932!

This Debauchery has poisoned the mind of my newly born child! Holden is a terrible person. Because pf this book my kid's first word was 'phony'! I'm currently attempting to sue Salinger; that pedo asshat!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 November 19, 2012

Reading TCITR once was bad enough; so here i am to say don't read it!

The Catcher in the Rye is considered a classic book by many people worldwide. Oh please, give me a break; reading it once was bad enough. The book is a coming of Age story; with absolutely no morals whatsoever. I sometimes wonder if the author was drunk while writing this book (ex. I love old Jane so much, I really do). Yeah really intelligent writing on J.D Salinger’s part. Another thing that got on my nerves was the nonstop profanity. If a writer has to put nonstop profanity whether it’s a book or a movie, then it seems like your just trying to hide up how thinly written the book is as well as how short the book would be without all the profanity. The book has over 700+ profanities (I counted them) and the book is only 214 pages long (3 profanities at least per page) plus the pages are really short so it feels even more frequent. My guess is that if you took out all the profanities you probably would have a 75 page book. Know I know what some people are thinking reading this review. Oh kids hear profanity all the time in school and in the real world. Yes they do but maybe they don’t want to read it. There are better books out there that don’t have any profanity at all .By the way, the main character Holden is not a good role model as well as person who you would like to meet. He smokes, he drinks, he curses (frequently), he goes after woman and can’t decide who he likes, as well as the fact that the way he talks gets really annoying real fast. The storyline is predictable, flimsy, and as soon as the book begins, you can predict what’s going too happened in the end. So overall I say don’t read this book at all. I`d rather read a chick flick book then this book. Also I must say that if a storyline is predictable, the main character is unlikable as well as all the secondary characters, then why would I like this book indeed.
Teen, 17 years old Written by1000stars November 21, 2011

Don't Judge a Book By A Critic

It is rather a quite interesting book. Although it was censored, today it is not anything worse than "Huckleberry Finn" or any language you hear while walking on the streets. Not saying that it is alright to use that type of language but it is certainly more modern to hear that type of language nowadays then when the book was actually published. The book is probably more for teens. Though there is cursing it is seen through, Holden, a sixteen year old's, eyes. It may not be the best book on the shelf but it is definitely worth while to pick up and read. If you are looking for something interesting, lets just say that this book will have you flipping the pages non-stop. Give it a try. Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylove is life January 21, 2011

the catcher in the rye

i thought it was OK but not great.i love holdens character a lot. but you can tell he lies a lot. at first when i got to the in of the book i thought he was crazy. i thought the book was all in his head. but then not so much. all and all its a good book.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycrazycc18 October 12, 2010

Love it!

I LOOVVVEEEE this book! I could reread this book over and over again! Great book a must read!
Kid, 11 years old April 20, 2014

Confusing

I only read a bit of this book, little bits and pieces. I don't understand why people love this book. The character is a pessimistic liar, and the story just is random sentences put together in a messy storyline. He swears A LOT, and there's some of sexual talk. The character manages to criticize everything and it was just really depressing to read. Schools in my state don't even let 3,4,5,6,7, and 8 graders watch pg or pg-13 movies in school, so why do we read this?
Parent of a 7, 10, 12, and 14 year old Written byCloneslad July 5, 2013

Holden - Rebel or Autistic

Just finished reading this last night. Excellent read. I am 52. with 2 teens and 2 younger! Can identify wih link between main character and siblings especially the younger one. I wonder after reading this, would Holden Caulfield register on a test for autism/aspergers syndrome. Could that be the cause of his "angst" rather than rebelliousness because he doesn't seem like a rebel!