All member reviews for The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

Deeply creepy, thought-provoking tale of weird school.

Educator and Parent Written byMy Story Board September 16, 2012

Cavendish Home: Nice to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there! :-)

Cavendish is appealing to my middle school students because its genre isn't often directed at them: horror. Students love the shock value for what it is; they are certain this is fiction and not a real threat to anyone outside of the book. The excellent imagery and sentence strructure is a gift to young readers.
Parent Written bymamabear1234 May 15, 2013

Don't bother

Just a creepy book, I kept expecting it to get better, but the weirdness and horror factor is not appropriate for the age range its targeted at. There are these weird servant creatures that you find out are other children and the kids in the home eat out their eyeballs. Why? Its just gross.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byMAH August 1, 2014

Nasty.

We started reading this aloud with our 10 year old, expecting a creepy but kid-targeted orphanage tale. The characters were interesting, and the outlines of the story had potential, but it was too gruesome to finish. The tone was frank horror, not suspense or adventure. My daughter likes to see things through, but she was ultimately so disturbed that I talked her into letting me just read the rest and tell her how it ended. I wouldn't recommend it unless the reader is looking for Stephen King-level horror.