All member reviews for The Chocolate War

Teen, 15 years old Written bymoviegeek April 9, 2008

Wow..........

This is one of those books, that after you finish it and set it down, you have to sit awhile and think. It leaves you thinking "Wow...." and really has a good message behind all of the bad stuff that the kids do. One kid stood up to everything and everyone. Because he knew that he was right. This is an incredibly well-written novel and is a must-read for any teenager.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysummer.rose101 April 11, 2010

11th grade review

I'm 16 years old and I had to read it in my 11th grade class. Obviously our class is fine with the use of language and such, but for younger kids from primary to maybe year 9 this is an inappropriate book. It has frequent sexual terms that younger kids certainly wouldn't understand and their parents may not be happy with the language in the book. Though our class enjoyed reading it as it also had positive messages about standing up to bullies and believing in yourself and not letting others push you around.
Teen, 17 years old Written byflreview March 10, 2010

The chocolate war may not be appropriate for many children. I am 17 years old, and I could handle the book, but many young children who have not been exposed to some of the sexual material and langusge may not feel comfortable. On the plus side, it is very well written, and does teach to stand up for what you believe in. But mainly, if you're not comfortable with the material then don't read it, it is a choice. If you are a parent with younger kids, then I would advise reading it before your children so that you can decide if it is appropriate for them.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybrookiepoo March 25, 2010

im 12 and was told to read it im only in 6th grade. horable for kids my age. it made no scince to me. if i had to vote it 1 - 100 stars i would vote maybe 2 stars just because the auaother could wright
Teen, 13 years old Written bycowe192 August 14, 2009

Definetely a good book, but not for little kids. Constant swearing, smoking, and bad role models. Resistance towards teachers is NOT a good role model
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2014

Overrated and Disappointing

The plot starts out normally like any other teenager book, with Jerry, the main character going through sexual frustration (what is that?), and mood swings that come with puberty. Then we meet the school bullies: Archie, who does it psychologically, Emlie Janza, who does it physically, and Brother Leon, a teacher. Surely the kids must have told their pare- wait. That never happens. Really? What is it with kids in books these days and not telling their parents their problems? OK, fine. Then Jerry decides to rebel against Archie and Brother Leon by not selling chocolates. Why? Because he wants to, like every single rebellious kid in the world. This part just made me wish he'd get pulverized for being an idiot. At first, all the other kids start to join him too. But, eventually, the kids leave him. Then he get prank calls, violent beatings, taunts and vandalism and he still never tells anybody. Then in the final boxing match, Jerry gets brutally beaten, yet his "friend" does nothing to help him. He could've avoided that by telling ANYBODY to call of the fight. Oh yeah, and they pretty much throw away everything they had building up to this point, not in an anticlimax, but a vague and pointless ending like "The Giver". Probably the worst part about the book is that it's not even realistic. For starters, how ignorant must the teachers be to not disband the Vigils even though they dismantled an entire freaking classroom, wasted an entire day, and disrupted class hours? And what kind of school allows their teachers to git students on the head? And why do these people not seem to have a life outside of the Vigils or school? This book was meant to be realistic, but it isn't (not unless you still live in the 20th Century). Ultimately, it's just a teenage angsty book with a bad ending. It's very implausible, littered with cliches, and the characters are the same cop-outs that you see in any other teenager book and just as unrealistic as ever. There's no positive messages OR role models (is being a rebellious brat a good thing?) and little educational value. I'm probably just being really cynical, but I think this book is a waste of an afternoon.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNoah Wibbens November 28, 2012

Incredible!

The Chocolate War is a young-adult novel that is about a freshman football player named Jerry Renault at Trinity High School. As the novel goes on, he learns that high school isn't so cool after all. A spark of rebellion within him ignites after his confrontation with The Vigils, A school Gang lead by Archie Costello. The Vigils create frightful and complex assignments that select students must complete. The assignments vary depending on the individual to inflict the maximum amount of psychologic horror. For example, Jerry's one and only friend known as The Goober was chosen for an assignment. Archie commanded, " Everything in Brother Eugene's room is held together by screws, the chairs, the desks, the black boards, now with your little screw driver- maybe you'd better bring along various and assorted sizes, just in case- you start to loosen. Don't take the screws, just loosen them until they reach that point where their almost ready to fall out, everything hanging their by a thread...". Since The Goober is a loner, he was terrified of getting caught. Jerry also gets an assignment eventually; to turn down selling his quota of chocolates during the school fundraiser. After the task, he changed. I believe the major message that the author was trying to propose was to not succumb to peer-pressure. I would definitely recommend this novel for people 14 and up. I could feel the emotions and intense scenes that made the entire body shiver, like i was a witness. The author chose his vocabulary exactly as a teenager would, it's astonishing how accurate it is! Overall, this is a 5 star novel and should be required to be read in high school.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySithLordBeast April 18, 2011

stupid. many uses of s--t, b--ch, b---ard, h-ll, d-mn, a--, and Jesus and god. a lot of sexual talk also
Teen, 14 years old Written byjerryoish February 13, 2011

for any readers

I love it. It is a top-notch book. The tone was dismal, bitter and hopeless at the end. But I'm glad to have read a book such as this and I am going to read Beyond The Chocolate War.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybeachcollecting January 1, 2011

Ugly. Evil.

This book could have been a great message about "changing the universe" challenges, but it becomes too violant. Especially the final fiight! Also, the involement of the teacher goes too far. I read it quickly to get thru it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygilgamesh June 26, 2015

Good book but too much cursing

This book was really good but could lower downon the cursing. Every page I saw had cursing. Books like this should not not have cursing. It is definently not a kids book and adults might even like it more
Kid, 12 years old September 28, 2012

To read this book, you must get over the level of sexual content

This book has been banned in some schools and cities, and i can see why. It has some references to masturbation and dirty fantasies, but honestly that's how our generation is. If you get over that, you can see the true meaning of the book. It's truly about standing up. Jerry is an insignificant underdog, and he decides to disturb the universe and go against the people with the power. He gets persecuted and ignored. In the end, they shut him down. Unlike most books, the protagonist and main character are the ones to lose the fight. The sexual content of this book is just a barrier to the underlying meaning of "the chocolate war"
Kid, 12 years old October 28, 2011

7th grade Banned book review

My class was assigned to read a book from a selection of banned books, and chose this one. It has a strong message, but is high in sexual content and language, and is also excessively violent. if you don't want to have to deal with these, or you don't like books that start with a jolt and then slow down to a low pace, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK. Also, there have apparently been many attempts to ban this book. (in fact I think it is banned)

Overrated and Badly Written

I had high expectations for this book, none of which were met, and the teen characters were all very two-dimenisional (sp?) and unrealistic, to an extent where I didn't even care what happened to them. Although it started out in a promising way, it quickly went downhill-as in twenty pages later. I would not recommend this to anyone.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaliensarepretty April 9, 2008

everything they don't want you to know

So i read this book when i was 11, and let me tell you, I stopped participating in school funraisers. Sorry. Anyway, this book is probably one of the most interesitng and provocotive I've ever read. However, anyone who challenges it is an idiot. It doesn't deserve that.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytbajus21 April 9, 2008

it was sweet

The book was amazing. A teenager doing funny things is awesome and it was the best book i have ever read.