All parent member reviews for The City of Ember

Parent Written bytwelvefourandtwo September 9, 2011

Series has a lot of heart and morality for young readers.not to overwhelming.

I thought this series was very thought provoking for the age range...great starter book for the idea of a dystopian society.
Adult Written byDoctorMeth April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylkjhgfdsapoiuyt... December 9, 2015

Really good

I think it's good because it has a lot of plot twist and mystery in it.
Educator Written byFlynt February 12, 2013

Good girl and boy main characters.

Great book. I'm reading it to 2nd graders and they love it. They are clutching the edge of their seats and hanging on every word. The 7 year olds can get it with a fair amount of support.
Adult Written bypyramid February 12, 2009

A wonderful book for tweens

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the other books in the series. I am always looking for books for my tween and this was very addicting. I recommended it to our school librarian, and now the 5th grade teacher is reading it to her class. It is written at the tween level and one can imagine the scenes in detail as you read along. Younger children would enjoy it if it was read to them as well, as the main characters are tweens. Highly recommend!
Adult Written byRobertF 2 March 15, 2015

My thesis on The City of Ember

In this novel it is about how The City of Ember was created by the Builders to contain everything needed for the human survival because at the time of the builders the earth was facing destruction. This underground city did work for about 200 years…but now the storerooms were becoming skim and the crops are damaged. Exploitation is spreading through the city and the worst part of all of this the lights are failing. Needless, to say The City of Ember could be engulfed by darkness, if a solution is not made soon. Nonetheless, when two children, Lina and Doon, discover remains of an ancient instructions from the builders of how to get out of The City of Ember. Can they decode the words from this old letter and find the key to the future for everyone. But the main concern is will anyone listen to them and believe what they have discovered?
Adult Written byjslangston April 18, 2011
I love this book! and so does my 10 year old we have been reading this since the first grade and we are now on book 4! Which is the best one of all of them! We just do a couple chapters a night, she reads one and then I read one to her so its been a wonderful experience for us both and we will remember Lina and Doon and all they went through forever...Truley a great read!!! I only wish they would make movies out of all the movies...Thaks Jeannea Duprau
Adult Written byklpeters April 9, 2008

A must-read for anyone

This book kept me hooked constantly. The voyage the children made out of their city had me putting myself in their shoes trying to imagine how they could conjure the courage to attempt the unknown. This writer takes care to paint a picture of the envirnoment, mood, colors, temperature and tension of the inhabitants of a city that is slowly dying and they are helpless to know that there is anything they can do about it. This book would be great for the classroom because it develops higher order thinking skills, causes the reader to make predictions, ponder cause and effect, develop empathy for the characters and inspire discussion of "what if" our world ever could lead to the condition of the city of Ember and choosing to do the right thing rather that following self interest. Great reading, don't pass it up and be sure to get the sequel, The People of Sparks.
Parent Written bycarwina July 17, 2016

Per my 11 year old: Really Good!

This book is great and you should read it because it has a lot of suspense and is fun to read along with the rest of the series.
Adult Written bybriannal November 23, 2014

ember

it very good book if u like the big endings an adventure
Adult Written byhcabats May 2, 2012

Everyone can make a difference!

A work friend of my husband had recommended it for our son years ago...i finally am reading it with our other son and enjoyed it so much read the rest and now waiting for him to catch up so we can watch the movie together! Love the characters and the scavenger hunt as well as their wonder of if there is something more and why are they here!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byiwmacswa September 2, 2009
Adult Written byearthlover15 November 9, 2008

A must read for every pre-teen

This book is very exciting and awsome but I felt it left you hanging at the end to read the next book!
Adult Written bynotjcub April 9, 2008

Awsome...

This was by far one of the most interesting, and thought provoking book of all time. The whole time I was excited, and anxious to see what would happen next!!! Its full of mystery and treasures. You should totally read this...
Adult Written byFayth07 April 9, 2008

A Class worthy Project

I'm 17, and we read this in my Mythology Class, my teacher had a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds read it! Some of us have gone and purchased the second book because we loved it. It's definately an all ages book! The journey that Lina and Doon go on will keep you hooked because you want to know all about Ember.