All member reviews for The City of Ember

Teen, 13 years old Written byMegan Hall November 21, 2009

better for grade 5-7

i'm 13, and had to read it for school, not age appropriate for my age group, better for 8-11 year olds
Teen, 13 years old Written byimfine29 June 18, 2010

great and interesting for any reader

i am 13, i read this book when i was in 4th grade. My 3rd grade teacher actually read this book to our class. i really think that this is a good book, it is so unpredictable and addicting! i love this book. it is a very interesting book and a very good read.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMysterious_ballerina January 29, 2011

Great! Mystery/Sci-fi

Ohmigawd this book is so good it's kind of for litteler kids but it's good though parts are sad since the place is poor and foods like pinapples aren't around anymore. VERY VERY GOOD! Must Read great if you like mystery not to sci-fi :)
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc January 28, 2009

reviews are way too generous

I found the book kinda dull, to tell the truth. The premise is sort of intriguing, but the way the author handled it gives off a sort of 'been-there-done-that-in-every-sci-fi-future-book-i've ever-read' feeling. It's an okay read, but there's nothing about it that would make it stand out, and the next books do nothing to redeem it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byUseursense December 5, 2013

BORING! (Yawn)

Ok... This is one of the books with a good plot, BUT I SIMPLY COULD NOT READ IT. I wish it was told in the first person view, instead of third person. I wish that the characters were older. I only got fifty pages in and I was B-O-R-E-D
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2013

Just Just

Just a basic book
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2012

I still havent finished yet!

its really good! i love it! i heard it was made into a movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byericaxo818 November 14, 2010

Much Better than The Giver

Best book I've ever read! It shows that when kids put their minds to it, they can solve any problem or discover anything. You don't have to be an adult to make a difference. I've read The Giver and it is a little disturbing. I read it as a teen and it really creeped me out. The ending left me hanging. The City of Ember has a great ending, an amazing story line, and a fantastic visual description. It is a must read!
Teen, 14 years old Written byallyra99 July 6, 2010

Great

Aweeeeesome.Lot's of suspense.
Kid, 11 years old June 4, 2014

great great great!!

the most amazing book in the world!
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2013

Ember Review

I think that this book is okay, there are crushes, but the rest is great.
Kid, 10 years old April 3, 2013

Amazing!

I really loved this book! It's great for kids and very appropriate. It's a little boring in the beginning, I only recommend it for passionate readers, who will follow the book till the end. The ending was beautiful and wonderfully wrapped.
Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2012

Ember: A great book that might need to change a few lightbulbs

THE CITY OF EMBER, despite some noticeable missteps, is probably one of the most engrossing science fiction books out there. I like to think of the book's elemental value as a salad bowl: EMBER's storyline, the most noticeable part, is what I like to classify as lettuce. Its characters, characteristics, and characterization is what I like to classify as carrot slices. Its biggest flaws are what I like to classify as the tomato--unexpected, comes out of nowhere, and really shouldn't be there. And its small but sweet dashes of comedy are what I classify as bacon bits. Hopefully you comprehend all that and feel the same way.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySmiley Face123 October 7, 2012

City of Ember

This is what I think... :-) ← this expression explains everything!!
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2012

AWESOME BOOK

the book was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 the best of all loved it i read it in class watch the movie and every thing i did not read the other one heard it was good and book for all ages
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 15, 2012

Love it!

Amazing book!
Kid, 10 years old May 8, 2012

defenintly a go get!

I read ember and I looooooved it!!!! I cant wait to read the next book!!!!!! Kind of scary and suspensful, but even a piky reader has to like it.
Kid, 9 years old May 5, 2012

APPROPRIATE

IT IS A GREAT BOOK MY GR. 4 CLASS READ IT AND LOVED IT!!!
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2012

good book

well, this book is a good book. i read it like a year ago but its a really good story of these kids in the city of ember. i would recommend this book to 10/11 year old because this book is kinda hard to understand.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

This is like a version of The hunger games but for everyone!!

Similer to the hunger games but without all of the non-kid friendly romance & violence. My 5th grade teacher read this book and the class emediatly fell in love with it. I recremend this to teachers, parents, and kids. Super intriging, funny, and emotional. This book made me think so hard my head was hurting. I wouldent give this to little kids because it might be a little hard to understand for them. DONT WATCH THE MOVE!! I have no idea what th director was thinking the movie was a piece of cra.pp. nothing like the book and randomly adds GIANT MOLES to the the plot?? Like, seriosly where the heck did that come from?? This book makes you want to hunt down the sequal:).And i promis when im a teacher i WILL read this to my class.