All member reviews for The City of Ember

Part fantasy, part mystery, part treasure hunt.

Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2012

Ember: A great book that might need to change a few lightbulbs

THE CITY OF EMBER, despite some noticeable missteps, is probably one of the most engrossing science fiction books out there. I like to think of the book's elemental value as a salad bowl: EMBER's storyline, the most noticeable part, is what I like to classify as lettuce. Its characters, characteristics, and characterization is what I like to classify as carrot slices. Its biggest flaws are what I like to classify as the tomato--unexpected, comes out of nowhere, and really shouldn't be there. And its small but sweet dashes of comedy are what I classify as bacon bits. Hopefully you comprehend all that and feel the same way.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySmiley Face123 October 7, 2012

City of Ember

This is what I think... :-) ← this expression explains everything!!
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2012

AWESOME BOOK

the book was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 the best of all loved it i read it in class watch the movie and every thing i did not read the other one heard it was good and book for all ages
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 15, 2012

Love it!

Amazing book!
Kid, 9 years old May 5, 2012

APPROPRIATE

IT IS A GREAT BOOK MY GR. 4 CLASS READ IT AND LOVED IT!!!
Adult Written byhcabats May 2, 2012

Everyone can make a difference!

A work friend of my husband had recommended it for our son years ago...i finally am reading it with our other son and enjoyed it so much read the rest and now waiting for him to catch up so we can watch the movie together! Love the characters and the scavenger hunt as well as their wonder of if there is something more and why are they here!
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2012

good book

well, this book is a good book. i read it like a year ago but its a really good story of these kids in the city of ember. i would recommend this book to 10/11 year old because this book is kinda hard to understand.
Kid, 11 years old February 23, 2012

This is like a version of The hunger games but for everyone!!

Similer to the hunger games but without all of the non-kid friendly romance & violence. My 5th grade teacher read this book and the class emediatly fell in love with it. I recremend this to teachers, parents, and kids. Super intriging, funny, and emotional. This book made me think so hard my head was hurting. I wouldent give this to little kids because it might be a little hard to understand for them. DONT WATCH THE MOVE!! I have no idea what th director was thinking the movie was a piece of cra.pp. nothing like the book and randomly adds GIANT MOLES to the the plot?? Like, seriosly where the heck did that come from?? This book makes you want to hunt down the sequal:).And i promis when im a teacher i WILL read this to my class.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylilcece December 11, 2011

good book great judgement

I think this is a really good book u should try and read it if you havent
Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2011

The BEST book ever!!

We read this book in school, and everyone LOVED it. READ IT!! We also saw the movie!!! SEE IT!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybrieona December 6, 2011

Good read with an interesting setting.

I found this to be my favorite of the four books in the Ember series. The setting really adds to the suspense. I first read it when I was in fifth grade, and I really liked it. It is probably best for ages 8-12, as some of the plot points may be difficult for younger kids to grasp.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysharpblaze2 October 22, 2011

The City of Ember (The First Book of Ember)

This book is a truley amazing book, it shows how How the 2 main characters try to escape their crumbling city. This is a sci-fiction book and is very intresting, I recomend you read it
Teen, 15 years old Written byhayzy101 August 12, 2011

City of Ember

i loved this book it was amazing i would read it twice!! it was amazing how the people lived then.
Adult Written byjslangston April 18, 2011
I love this book! and so does my 10 year old we have been reading this since the first grade and we are now on book 4! Which is the best one of all of them! We just do a couple chapters a night, she reads one and then I read one to her so its been a wonderful experience for us both and we will remember Lina and Doon and all they went through forever...Truley a great read!!! I only wish they would make movies out of all the movies...Thaks Jeannea Duprau
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2011
love it
Teen, 14 years old Written bymutation monkey February 20, 2011

for anyone

I just got done reading it and it is one of the best books i have ever read, which is good because i have read a lot of books in 13 years.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysk8tinggirl1 October 26, 2010

this book is perfect for 10+ who love adventure

I had this book at the age of nine/ten and i could not get my face out of it the story was so addictive if you like mystery, adventure and the true meaning of friendship this book is so for you! :)
Kid, 12 years old September 11, 2010

Worth a read.

When I read this book I had just read some fantasy novel that isn't reviewed here that I consider one of my favorite books, so naturally, this was eclipsed. But really, it is a strong mystery sci-fi book that takes you on twists and turns and really asks questions about what would happen if society was completely different. It's down to the wire, and a strong ending makes me want to read the sequal, if I can ever get my hands on it. It is a stand alone book, though, and a great one.
Kid, 9 years old August 19, 2010

its okay

it was okay. i will probably read the next book. its a little hard to read because its confusing at parts. its pretty good but not my favorite.. if you read it i hope you enjoy it!
Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2010

Awesome Book with Good Role Models

This is my favorite book series. Post-Apocalyptic themes are my favorite and it gives me a feeling of isolation when reading. I recommend this series to anyone wanting thrill and an experience of a lifetime!