All member reviews for The City of Ember

Part fantasy, part mystery, part treasure hunt.

Teen, 15 years old Written byWayTooDramatic April 9, 2008

Adult Written bypyramid February 12, 2009

A wonderful book for tweens

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the other books in the series. I am always looking for books for my tween and this was very addicting. I recommended it to our school librarian, and now the 5th grade teacher is reading it to her class. It is written at the tween level and one can imagine the scenes in detail as you read along. Younger children would enjoy it if it was read to them as well, as the main characters are tweens. Highly recommend!
Adult Written byklpeters April 9, 2008

A must-read for anyone

This book kept me hooked constantly. The voyage the children made out of their city had me putting myself in their shoes trying to imagine how they could conjure the courage to attempt the unknown. This writer takes care to paint a picture of the envirnoment, mood, colors, temperature and tension of the inhabitants of a city that is slowly dying and they are helpless to know that there is anything they can do about it. This book would be great for the classroom because it develops higher order thinking skills, causes the reader to make predictions, ponder cause and effect, develop empathy for the characters and inspire discussion of "what if" our world ever could lead to the condition of the city of Ember and choosing to do the right thing rather that following self interest. Great reading, don't pass it up and be sure to get the sequel, The People of Sparks.
Kid, 11 years old December 7, 2011

The BEST book ever!!

We read this book in school, and everyone LOVED it. READ IT!! We also saw the movie!!! SEE IT!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybattery April 9, 2008

WAHOO!!

This is one of the greatist books I've read in a while!! reccomended for everyone!
Teen, 16 years old Written byJazzyshel April 9, 2008

City Of Ember

Excellent Book! By far one of the best I have ever read!
Teen, 14 years old Written byavidcritc January 28, 2009

reviews are way too generous

I found the book kinda dull, to tell the truth. The premise is sort of intriguing, but the way the author handled it gives off a sort of 'been-there-done-that-in-every-sci-fi-future-book-i've ever-read' feeling. It's an okay read, but there's nothing about it that would make it stand out, and the next books do nothing to redeem it.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylilcece December 11, 2011

good book great judgement

I think this is a really good book u should try and read it if you havent
Teen, 14 years old Written byDappled_Dag April 5, 2009

Ember

Yes, I read all four books. In my opinion, this is the best one, and the lowest would probably be the third because it doesn't have much to do with the other books in the series. I've got to be honest, the only reason I actually stuck with this series was because of the character of Doon. He was interesting, and clever. I thought Lina in the book was ok, but a bit bland. Nothing about her was all that interesting except her adorable little sister, and the fact that she lived underground. I lived the cover of the second book! Very nice series, I'd recommend to most of my friends.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydarlin201107 April 9, 2008

pre teens will love it!

i am 13, and i think it was a little to easy for me!i liked all of the adventure though!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrendonsoh April 9, 2008

This Book was Very Good Im Striving to Read the Sequal

I just finished this book a few days ago i read it in 2 days (Thats like a reacord for me). I hope everybody who gets a chance can read this book
Teen, 14 years old Written byKittylova April 9, 2008

A worthy novel to read agin and again and again

I looooovvvvvvveeeedddd iiiittttt! One of the best I've read and I have read a lot of books.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTediousChapters April 9, 2008

Adult Written byFayth07 April 9, 2008

A Class worthy Project

I'm 17, and we read this in my Mythology Class, my teacher had a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds read it! Some of us have gone and purchased the second book because we loved it. It's definately an all ages book! The journey that Lina and Doon go on will keep you hooked because you want to know all about Ember.
Parent Written bytwelvefourandtwo September 9, 2011

Series has a lot of heart and morality for young readers.not to overwhelming.

I thought this series was very thought provoking for the age range...great starter book for the idea of a dystopian society.
Adult Written byDoctorMeth April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written bymaddy940 June 6, 2009

very good

this book was very interesting and the pictures in my mind were very descriptive because of the authors detail. she did a great job! i reccomend it for all ages.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylalalandbabie May 21, 2009

i love this book

this book is the best book I've ever fav. i would die for it this book i love it so much read it my fav is when is the lights went out then they found out that there was a world above ti i love love love love it i recommend this book to all ages and all different types of people!!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

The Truth

I bought this book and I enjoy it very much.I'm 12 if you have a smart 8 year old they might love this book. The book is about these two people known as the builders. They decide to make a city under the ground. And supply it with light and food to last a few hundred years. They must a map in a safe with a time lock and pass it down through the mayors. When the time comes for the supplies to run out the box will open. The last mayor who got this safe was ill so he tried to open the safe with a hammer but it didn't work. He threw the safe his closet and died. The story is about this girl and boy who try to find a way out of the city. It is very exciting and you will love it. If your not sure you'll like it rent it at a library and if you are crazy about it you can buy it. This book has a sequel called The City of Sparks. I will admit that The City of Ember was more exciting then this book but it also has adventure in it.
Kid, 11 years old June 28, 2012

AWESOME BOOK

the book was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 the best of all loved it i read it in class watch the movie and every thing i did not read the other one heard it was good and book for all ages