All member reviews for The City of Ember

Part fantasy, part mystery, part treasure hunt.

Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2008

its so good i wanted to cry when i finished it!

in this book lina mayfleet and doon harrow are the main characters. they were practuctly made for eachother. i was a little sad they were just friends though. when you red this book you have an image of the city of ember. i loved it! i red all the books and this auther has a LOT LOT LOT of petential. she may even be the next jk rowling! this sience fiction book will blow youre min away! you will be saying.'' wow i didnt see that coming!'' you gotta read the city of ember!

Teen, 13 years old Written bymonkeymonk12 April 9, 2008

this book is sweeto

this is such a good book!So much detail and very thrilling parts. I just had to read the sequal The Pople of Sparks .
Adult Written byklpeters April 9, 2008

A must-read for anyone

This book kept me hooked constantly. The voyage the children made out of their city had me putting myself in their shoes trying to imagine how they could conjure the courage to attempt the unknown. This writer takes care to paint a picture of the envirnoment, mood, colors, temperature and tension of the inhabitants of a city that is slowly dying and they are helpless to know that there is anything they can do about it. This book would be great for the classroom because it develops higher order thinking skills, causes the reader to make predictions, ponder cause and effect, develop empathy for the characters and inspire discussion of "what if" our world ever could lead to the condition of the city of Ember and choosing to do the right thing rather that following self interest. Great reading, don't pass it up and be sure to get the sequel, The People of Sparks.
Teen, 14 years old Written byjenniefinchfan4... April 9, 2008

A must-read book for every 12-13 year old

its great
Teen, 15 years old Written bydarlin201107 April 9, 2008

pre teens will love it!

i am 13, and i think it was a little to easy for me!i liked all of the adventure though!
Teen, 15 years old Written bybattery April 9, 2008

WAHOO!!

This is one of the greatist books I've read in a while!! reccomended for everyone!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBrendonsoh April 9, 2008

This Book was Very Good Im Striving to Read the Sequal

I just finished this book a few days ago i read it in 2 days (Thats like a reacord for me). I hope everybody who gets a chance can read this book
Teen, 14 years old Written byKittylova April 9, 2008

A worthy novel to read agin and again and again

I looooovvvvvvveeeedddd iiiittttt! One of the best I've read and I have read a lot of books.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

The Truth

I bought this book and I enjoy it very much.I'm 12 if you have a smart 8 year old they might love this book. The book is about these two people known as the builders. They decide to make a city under the ground. And supply it with light and food to last a few hundred years. They must a map in a safe with a time lock and pass it down through the mayors. When the time comes for the supplies to run out the box will open. The last mayor who got this safe was ill so he tried to open the safe with a hammer but it didn't work. He threw the safe his closet and died. The story is about this girl and boy who try to find a way out of the city. It is very exciting and you will love it. If your not sure you'll like it rent it at a library and if you are crazy about it you can buy it. This book has a sequel called The City of Sparks. I will admit that The City of Ember was more exciting then this book but it also has adventure in it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byJazzyshel April 9, 2008

City Of Ember

Excellent Book! By far one of the best I have ever read!
Teen, 15 years old Written byWayTooDramatic April 9, 2008

Adult Written bynotjcub April 9, 2008

Awsome...

This was by far one of the most interesting, and thought provoking book of all time. The whole time I was excited, and anxious to see what would happen next!!! Its full of mystery and treasures. You should totally read this...
Adult Written byFayth07 April 9, 2008

A Class worthy Project

I'm 17, and we read this in my Mythology Class, my teacher had a bunch of 17 and 18 year olds read it! Some of us have gone and purchased the second book because we loved it. It's definately an all ages book! The journey that Lina and Doon go on will keep you hooked because you want to know all about Ember.

Electricity! What is it?

I think this book is awesome! I really liked it because it has a lot of interesting characters. Like Lina she likes to run, draw, play, and take care of her grandma and baby sister. The book has a lot of new interesting words to learn. While reading this story I learned the word recall. It means to remember. This book has a lot of action. Like when Lina was getting chased by the guards for trying to tell the truth about the mayor. The book has no boring parts. It has mystery mixed with fiction mixed with fantasy.

Teen, 14 years old Written bydirecterdude123 April 9, 2008

AWSOME ! ! ! ! !

The City of Ember is such a great book because there is so much detial and vividness. There is no possible way that you could get bord with the story. The lead charictors are so stong in personality that anyone would LOVE IT ! ! ! ! and I'm not much of a big reader
Teen, 13 years old Written bymisscompetitive April 9, 2008

AWSOME ! ! ! !

Ths book is so good that I had to read the second. The auther just keeps the storie so good that there is no posible way you could get bord. I am not kidding when I say that THE CITY OF EMBER IS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ ! ! ! ! ! and i'm not a big reader