All member reviews for The Dark Is Rising

Teen, 14 years old Written byihatereading101 April 9, 2008

WOW

um...this book was okay...it was really confusing though. i only read it cus i had to for school and i would have never picked it up otherwise. the chapters are really long and i always had a straying mind when reading this book. if you like fantasy, this is and okay book, but if you dont DO NOT READ THIS BOOOK UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!...unless you have to for school!!! hehe
Teen, 15 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

I hated it

I found this book just so bad the only reason i read it was because I read it for school.
Kid, 12 years old October 13, 2009

Great book, rubbish movie. This one is the best of the series, a must read for young kids who are fans of fantasy and adventure.
Teen, 13 years old Written byghicken May 12, 2009

confusing and hard to follow

It is a shame that some schools require this book to be read, it is hand down the worst book I've ever read. It is hard to follow confusing and boring, I can't read this book for more than an hour without falling asleep, crying,or sometimes both. Bottom line- Don't read it ever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byelenmadil April 9, 2008

Really good book by my favorite author!

I loved it. It has just the right amount of everythin'. Some scary parts, some really funny parts, and some complicated parts. The only problem with it is that you have to read the whole series to understand everything and some people aren't ready to do that much reading.
Kid, 10 years old April 9, 2008

A MUST READ!!!!!!!!!

this book has an amazing plot and i loved it sooooooo much. it is really a must read!
Teen, 14 years old Written byDragonYay February 11, 2015

the dark is rising

i think it is amazing book it has some good action and i have to read it for school but i still think its good for anyone to read
Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2014

It's very boring. I was forced to read it in class and all my teacher ever did was tell us to read a part at home. She thought it was interesting but really it was just a disappointment. This book might have been interesting to me if I read it when I was 8 and still believed in time travel. Now I'm more into non-fiction books. Overall, it's a boring, non interesting story. I would never recommend it and when I have kids, I will never make them read this garbage. (No offensive Susan Cooper)
Kid, 10 years old April 24, 2012

uwuwu

i completely disagree with you uwuwu. please tell me where the commercialism and violence is. small amount amount of violence. i could of handled it when i was 6. i only rated 10 and up becausd its a bit hard to understand.
Kid, 12 years old December 14, 2011

The Dark is Rising.... Slowly

I read this book this year (2011) as a seventh grader and I found the plot in this book really hard to follow. The storyline (of what I could understand) was really not interesting and I thought this was a really uninteresting. A small part of the reason I highly disliked this book was because my class ran this book into the ground going into depth with it. The book really has no action in it. The only scenes that could even pass as an action seen where basically when the wind started blowing harder, it got colder, and the main character holds up a couple of signs and everything is OK again. As for the "violence" part of the rating- The burn is not graphically described at all and for the mother breaking her leg because she was forced to fall down the stairs, that is basically how it is described. If an eight year old could understand the plot, they would not even be offended. I honestly did not like this book at all and I would have given it a one star rating but I reserve that rating for books only as bad as the novel "Julie of the Wolves". And as for me giving it an "off" rating, it is not because it is inappropriate but more so because it is just a boring novel.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymatthew_powell April 19, 2009

Respond to mkalv ( Hard To Understand )

I agree with you this book is hard to understand. The whole book is confusing and I don't understand the plot and what is happening. I had to constantly re-read the first chapter just to sort of understand what is happening. This book is just to hard to understand and I completely agree with you.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 26, 2009

Hard to understand.

I enjoyed this book, but it was at times hard to understand. It had a lot of fantasy, though. I enjoyed the film more.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMiss Practical April 9, 2008