All member reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

Intense Holocaust story makes history real.

Parent of a 12 year old Written byasdsasddsa April 19, 2010

horrible

Parent of a 6, 11, and 11 year old Written byhermione-miri January 11, 2011

Older Children Classic

Great story for older children to help children understand what other's can do.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeyAlyss October 20, 2011

It is a really good book.

I am a thirteen year old girl reviewing it from my point of view. And, if I'm saying that it is one of my favorite books on the holocaust, then it is true.
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byslk9196 December 4, 2011

Multifaceted learning opportunity for older kids

My 5th grader is reading this book in school, so I decided to read along. I found it to be a riveting, deeply moving story on many levels. At the most obvious level, it allows the reader to identify with the horrors of the holocaust from a relatable individual's perspective, and, as a result, to wrestle with humanity's capacity for such inhumane behavior. However, the book also offers a useful platform for learning about writing and story-telling. Yolen elegantly weaves important cultural themes like the value of story-telling and the responsibility of remembering into many layers of the narrative. She also effectively captures typical adolescent ingratitude and self-centeredness in Hannah's character, just to transform those qualities through her virtual experience as Chaya. Overall, the book serves as a wonderful teaching tool for history, morality, cultural resilience and personal growth.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNEWYORK51 October 21, 2011

not good

is inapropite for my kids
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bykekumukula November 11, 2009

Page Turner for the High Achieving

I taught this book to my GATE level group near the end of their school year. It is a fantastic book! There is a lot left to your imagination in regards to how Jewish prisoners were treated. The author was not graphic in detail at all. As a person who knew the basics of the Holocaust, I found this book to be very educational and riveting. I was on the edge of my seat for this book. I think it is an appropriate example for 10+ to read, especially if the 10 year olds are mature and responsible as most GATE leveled children are.
Parent Written byRya January 17, 2013

Devil's Arithmetic - book and movie

I thought that both the book and the movie were excellent individually but better as companion pieces together. I am a student of holocaust literature and I thought that in many ways the Devil's Arithmetic gave me a better sense of the experience than most of the "adult" materials I have read or watched. I used the book and the movie with my own children and thought that the learning experience was that good that I keep a couple of copies of the book and the movie in my personal library to lend out to others. The kids who have borrowed them have to supplement the Illinois required Holocaust education have asked me to lend them more and discuss their further questions.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMADDI3000 April 5, 2010

AMAZING BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aMAZING BOOK NOT FOR AGES 9+ MABEY 10 IF mature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love i when she goes back in time to world war 2 and then she meets ......wait you will have to read it to find out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent of a 6, 8, 8, 10, 12, and 12 year old Written byBubbie Ida March 20, 2010

a great book to share with grandchildren.

I think that this is a wonderful book for 8th-10th grades. It is a good introduction to the Holocaust and can be part of an intense study of that period. I read this for an adult book group with my grandchildren in mind. Certqainly this book can be read by both adults and teens as a jumping off place to discuss many themes of history and current events.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 25, 2009

sad but very good.

this is VERY SAD AND A VERY DETAILED BOOK ABOUT THE HOLOCOAST. and YES KIDS ARE MURDERED.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybigcat April 9, 2008

you have to read this book all ages

Teen, 13 years old Written byallittleton May 15, 2011
Adult Written bysarahwalters777... April 28, 2010
i think this is good because it teaches you alot about the past and how people left at the time
Kid, 12 years old June 18, 2011

Good but only for mature kids

I thought that it was pretty good but it was a little scary for me a couple of times. Nightmares would not be a surprise for younger children. It was very interesting, though, and I mostly had a fun time reading it. It also taught me a lot about Holocaust.
Teen, 15 years old Written byNativemoon95 May 16, 2011

Perfect For Tweens and Teens

I was assigned to read this book in school and when I first saw the cover that it wasn't going to be a very good book, but then I read it! I love this book, I'm not Jewish but I can relate to how Hannah feels when you are listening to your grandparents go on and on about something you had nothing to with, it can be frustrating when someone like me loves history but hates being a told a story but not all of it and then having to hear over and over. This book had me turning the pages over and over and i ended up finished it in two hours. The way Jane made Hannah's point of view blew me away because like i said even though I'm not Jewish I could relate to her and how Hannah dealt with everything was Amazing.....it it truly a Amazing book and if you ever have time sit down and read it! It's educational and addicting!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygnatalie12 November 8, 2010

great for ages 12 and up

I loved this story! I would say that it is not for kids under the age of 12 though because of the amount of violence.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykirss April 12, 2010
i think that this book is very good, and i dont think that it is bad for any children at all. I think it is very good for kids ages 12 and older because it actually teaches you about the holocaust.
Adult Written bymonica294 April 9, 2008

Touching

This was definetly a good book, because it explains the holocoust to children. Jane can really write; all of her books are page-turners! P.S. Read it, don't miss this.
Kid, 6 years old April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlyssam1501 April 2, 2014

Devils Arithmetic

The Devils Arithmetic was a phenomenal book about a girl named Hannah who turns into a girl named Chaya and suddenly faces the harshness of the holocaust. She learns how hard and brutal life was if you were a Jew during the Holocaust. She is put in concentration camps and is no longer called by her name. She becomes a number. Chaya is treated cruelly and brutally and it is up to her to change it. She meets new people and is filled with horror at the sight of what people went through during the Holocaust. Throughout the book she learns that without laughter there is no hope and without hope there is no life. She becomes strong and realizes that she is not a number. She is Chaya. She is Life