All member reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

Intense Holocaust story makes history real.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBoyWhoCriedWolf101 October 6, 2011

STUPID WORST EVER

i like most books i read but this was the number 1 worst book ever to be sold in the world it sucks .... its so boring and no matter who you are you will hate it so boring
Kid, 11 years old March 23, 2011

Great Book!

This book was really, really great. It was educational, and at the same time, ans adventure! Although it may get sad at times, it gives the reader a feel of what it might have been like in the Holocaust. Overall, I think it was a very interesting, want-to-read-more book!
Parent of a 13 year old Written byelkmont mon July 10, 2010
Adult Written bylalah April 9, 2008
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2016

Amazing but a little scary

this book was really good. Although, some of the things that were described were a little scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written byZombieslayer47 December 9, 2015
Educator and Parent Written byCommonSenseChristian May 3, 2015

The Devil You Know...And The One You Need to Know

Thirteen-year-old Hannah Stern is a modern Jewish girl living in New York, who doesn't understand the importance of her heritage and is embarrassed by her grandfather's reaction to any mention of the Holocaust. There aren't any concentration camps now, she tells her mother, so what's the point of remembering? During the Seder, Hannah is invited to open the apartment door for the prophet Elijah...and is whisked back in time to Poland, circa 1942. When the Nazis descend upon the Jewish village where she finds herself, Hannah knows what they're up to but no one will listen. Hannah is forced to endure life in a concentration camp. Throughout her journey, Hannah learns valuable lessons about her heritage, appearance vs. reality, memory, and more. Her growth and maturity will inspire readers, especially near the end of the book. Other characters mentor Hannah along the way, showing great courage and sacrifice. The village's rabbi reminds his congregants they are in God's hands. Hannah makes a commitment to remember the Holocaust once she returns from time travel. Of course, the major issue here lies in the Nazis' treatment of Jewish inmates. It's actually far less graphic than it could be, but abuse is still quite prevalent. Readers get a full picture of dehumanizing procedures such as forced stripping, tattooing, and hair-shaving. Prisoners are continually physically abused, and some are hung as the result of a failed escape attempt. A guard carries a child into gas chambers. Other prisoners, including a three-year-old, die from malnutrition and disease. If your children are ready to navigate these, consider holding a discussion after they read the book. You will find plenty of great fodder.
Teen, 13 years old Written byguin236 July 10, 2012

"The Devil's Arithmetic" Is a Must Read Title

This is an engaging story about a young girl who learns the importance of remembering and the past. It is a good introduction to the Holocaust and the concept of why we need to preserve and remember our history. It is also a good rainy day story for older children (think 11-12 +) and adults alike. Readers will enjoy this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDrishti June 19, 2012

A well written book

When i first found out at school that we had to read a book called "The Devil's Arithmetic", I thought it was probably the weirdest name I had ever heard until I read it :) .. Jane Yolen has given such a description that when you read it it gives a clean picture of what was exactly happening ... Like a movie... Hannah's character and her style of story telling was perfect.. In fact , Jane's way of writing was so good that you could actually picture what the people looked like and what they sounded like :D
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilraquan May 18, 2012

nazi and jews

i think this a good movie about the nazi and jews
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2012

child aimed(:

It tells a great story- and unlike many other holocaust books, it is aimed at children, and makes it easier to understand from a childs point of view, without all the graphic images of dead Jews. It is very educational- i learned alot from this book. it is easy to read, yet it tells alot. it is a great book!
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2012

THE BOOK!!! :)

this book review can really help parents and kids know about it because i am in middle school and i have finnished reading it now it was very interesting and i just couldnt put it down it was very very VERY good i loved it though it can be sad in some parts
Teen, 15 years old Written bygigglez132 January 3, 2012

The Devil's Arithmetic

an excellent book!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bylillykathryn510 September 11, 2011

lilly's review :)

this book was soo gooooood!!!! and it made me cry because theres part in it that are just soo sad :'(
Teen, 13 years old Written bypinkyfuzz May 1, 2011

Good for pre-teens and up

This book is really good. We read it in class during our WW2 unit. Very educational
Kid, 11 years old November 17, 2010

Good for people or kids who can do w/ mild violence and sorrow e.g. (death)

I love this book and am half way through!!! I'm 11 and the book rocks! It may be too sad or violent for some people but I have been through some losses. I highly recommend it! Is a S.C. standard for 7th grade too! But w/ this whole religion thing going on it won't be much longer! What is up w/ these people!!!! So read this book super amazing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina October 16, 2010

So Amazingly sad and good, I cried of happiness and of the pure agony I felt for these guys..

This was very good, some chapters made me cry so hard! The movie was excellent as well. It was well written, good story about a horrible time. Very good usege of Jewish religion. My gosh, so many of my tears spilled reading this, and I had to read on about how cruel those Nazis were and I thought 'You B*STARDS!' (Sorry) Cruel, cruel to a very high degree. Excellent book, it doesn't go too deep in the cold details. MUST READ. (I want to find it so I can read it again) Plus, it was cute how Hannah put in those stories from the future.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2010

perfect for 7th grade and up

Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2010

Ready to read this book??? Depending on who you are, you may want to think again.

Great book!!!! Be careful. Some kids can not handle all this violence!!!! This is definitely a page turner, but it can get pretty scary and creepy if you dont know much about the holocoust. I read it when i was around 10 or 11 but i got scared even though i had learned more than most adults know about the holocoust by that time. Nightmares would not be a surprise!
Teen, 14 years old Written byashlee1335 June 12, 2010