All member reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

Intense Holocaust story makes history real.

Teen, 13 years old Written byguin236 July 10, 2012

"The Devil's Arithmetic" Is a Must Read Title

This is an engaging story about a young girl who learns the importance of remembering and the past. It is a good introduction to the Holocaust and the concept of why we need to preserve and remember our history. It is also a good rainy day story for older children (think 11-12 +) and adults alike. Readers will enjoy this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDrishti June 19, 2012

A well written book

When i first found out at school that we had to read a book called "The Devil's Arithmetic", I thought it was probably the weirdest name I had ever heard until I read it :) .. Jane Yolen has given such a description that when you read it it gives a clean picture of what was exactly happening ... Like a movie... Hannah's character and her style of story telling was perfect.. In fact , Jane's way of writing was so good that you could actually picture what the people looked like and what they sounded like :D
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilraquan May 18, 2012

nazi and jews

i think this a good movie about the nazi and jews
Kid, 12 years old March 6, 2012

child aimed(:

It tells a great story- and unlike many other holocaust books, it is aimed at children, and makes it easier to understand from a childs point of view, without all the graphic images of dead Jews. It is very educational- i learned alot from this book. it is easy to read, yet it tells alot. it is a great book!
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2012

THE BOOK!!! :)

this book review can really help parents and kids know about it because i am in middle school and i have finnished reading it now it was very interesting and i just couldnt put it down it was very very VERY good i loved it though it can be sad in some parts
Teen, 15 years old Written bygigglez132 January 3, 2012

The Devil's Arithmetic

an excellent book!!
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byslk9196 December 4, 2011

Multifaceted learning opportunity for older kids

My 5th grader is reading this book in school, so I decided to read along. I found it to be a riveting, deeply moving story on many levels. At the most obvious level, it allows the reader to identify with the horrors of the holocaust from a relatable individual's perspective, and, as a result, to wrestle with humanity's capacity for such inhumane behavior. However, the book also offers a useful platform for learning about writing and story-telling. Yolen elegantly weaves important cultural themes like the value of story-telling and the responsibility of remembering into many layers of the narrative. She also effectively captures typical adolescent ingratitude and self-centeredness in Hannah's character, just to transform those qualities through her virtual experience as Chaya. Overall, the book serves as a wonderful teaching tool for history, morality, cultural resilience and personal growth.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBoyWhoCriedWolf101 October 6, 2011

STUPID WORST EVER

i like most books i read but this was the number 1 worst book ever to be sold in the world it sucks .... its so boring and no matter who you are you will hate it so boring
Teen, 13 years old Written bylillykathryn510 September 11, 2011

lilly's review :)

this book was soo gooooood!!!! and it made me cry because theres part in it that are just soo sad :'(
Teen, 13 years old Written bypinkyfuzz May 1, 2011

Good for pre-teens and up

This book is really good. We read it in class during our WW2 unit. Very educational
Kid, 11 years old November 17, 2010

Good for people or kids who can do w/ mild violence and sorrow e.g. (death)

I love this book and am half way through!!! I'm 11 and the book rocks! It may be too sad or violent for some people but I have been through some losses. I highly recommend it! Is a S.C. standard for 7th grade too! But w/ this whole religion thing going on it won't be much longer! What is up w/ these people!!!! So read this book super amazing!
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina October 16, 2010

So Amazingly sad and good, I cried of happiness and of the pure agony I felt for these guys..

This was very good, some chapters made me cry so hard! The movie was excellent as well. It was well written, good story about a horrible time. Very good usege of Jewish religion. My gosh, so many of my tears spilled reading this, and I had to read on about how cruel those Nazis were and I thought 'You B*STARDS!' (Sorry) Cruel, cruel to a very high degree. Excellent book, it doesn't go too deep in the cold details. MUST READ. (I want to find it so I can read it again) Plus, it was cute how Hannah put in those stories from the future.
Kid, 12 years old October 1, 2010

perfect for 7th grade and up

Kid, 12 years old August 4, 2010

Ready to read this book??? Depending on who you are, you may want to think again.

Great book!!!! Be careful. Some kids can not handle all this violence!!!! This is definitely a page turner, but it can get pretty scary and creepy if you dont know much about the holocoust. I read it when i was around 10 or 11 but i got scared even though i had learned more than most adults know about the holocoust by that time. Nightmares would not be a surprise!
Teen, 14 years old Written byashlee1335 June 12, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written bySoftballlover June 9, 2010

I love it so far.......

So far it is a great book. I just started reading this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykeilahall May 31, 2010

Appropriate for all age groups and is a positive Movie!

i am 14 and i read this book at age twelve and i still remeber it. This book really gives kids and anybody else the insight on the outside world. I reccomend this book to all kids my age and 12 years old, Why limit your children to books that hld back so much that the right message isnt heard. the kids need to be taught.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byYiannis May 28, 2010

FIne for ages 10+. This is because they need some backround knowledge on WW2 and some other things.

It was ok. It didn't amaze me but I cant say i didn't like it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychelseaanne May 26, 2010

i read this book this year 2010 at my high school for our holocaust unit and it was a really good book and it tells you what they all had to go through and that is why i recommended it for older kids because there is some bad stuff in there but it is stuff that people really had to go through in their lifetime.
Kid, 10 years old May 5, 2010

personaly i love this book i've also seen the movie me and my friends find this book and movie insparational. :)