All member reviews for The Devil's Arithmetic

Intense Holocaust story makes history real.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySoftballlover June 9, 2010

I love it so far.......

So far it is a great book. I just started reading this book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykeilahall May 31, 2010

Appropriate for all age groups and is a positive Movie!

i am 14 and i read this book at age twelve and i still remeber it. This book really gives kids and anybody else the insight on the outside world. I reccomend this book to all kids my age and 12 years old, Why limit your children to books that hld back so much that the right message isnt heard. the kids need to be taught.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byYiannis May 28, 2010

FIne for ages 10+. This is because they need some backround knowledge on WW2 and some other things.

It was ok. It didn't amaze me but I cant say i didn't like it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychelseaanne May 26, 2010
i read this book this year 2010 at my high school for our holocaust unit and it was a really good book and it tells you what they all had to go through and that is why i recommended it for older kids because there is some bad stuff in there but it is stuff that people really had to go through in their lifetime.
Kid, 10 years old May 5, 2010
personaly i love this book i've also seen the movie me and my friends find this book and movie insparational. :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byNice Fail April 22, 2010
Teen, 13 years old Written byShaniaainahS April 21, 2010

Devil's Arithmetic Recommendation

It was a good book.i recommend to teens only it is very intense it is sad because of the fact that one time something like that really did happen.so i recommend it to teens also because it is an eye opener to the holocaust if you are just starting to learn about it in class.I think that the devil's arithmetic was touching that something like this in the real world could really happen.No, there is violence in it, There is no good role model but it's our history and we need to know it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydestinykayy April 12, 2010

Hmm

This book gets you on an emotional level. It goes back to help you understand what happened in the concentration camps... To adults it may not be that appropriate but i'm a sophmore in high school, and we watched it in class while learning about the holocaust. I think it is very interesting and you could learn alot from the book and the movie
Kid, 11 years old April 11, 2010

Educational

We read this in school, and it was very interesting! I remember being excited to get to 7th hour so we could read it. Beware though that many people die and they are naked for a while. The begining is boring, but after a while it really sucks you in.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReachForFreedom April 11, 2010

Let this never happen again. Never again.

I'm watching the movie on Youtube right now, and I am sobbing. The book was amazing, and very creative, I think people need to read about such things to learn better, and to make sure nothing like that ever happens again. I know it was indeed a little graphic, and I wouldn't recomend it to those who do not understand yet ( young ages ) but to those that act like the "past is the past let it go" I would seriously recomend this book to them. I think this book is one of the saddest, yet the best books I have ever read.
Teen, 15 years old Written byPurstiltski7 March 18, 2010

Perfect for Nearly Anyone

Definitely one of my favorite books. The story is a bit confusing in the beginning, I'll admit. The educational qualities are good, as it teaches about what went on during the holocaust and what a Jewish family's life may have been like during that time, as well as in the present time that the story begins in. It's a good story about getting closer to family, history, and friendship. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 2, 2010

powerful holocaust book to much for younger kids.

I got this book not to long ago and i really enjoyed it! But at some parts i was surprised about how detailed it was. I could not believe it children where murdered and concentration camps were described very descritovly. bottom line this book is very descriptive and moves into teens teretorry.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJesusFreak09 December 30, 2009
i loved the devils arthimetic but it was pretty confusing.Very intense scences but the holacaust was that way. Teens need to see that. I have been called a Stupid or dirty jew(even though i am baptist) my friend was called a nazi. Its normal slang at school. I want people to realize its mean to make fun of someone like that. Its rude and horrible. This book opens up what the holocaust was really like. INtense sorrowful horrid and REAL The holocaust really did happen. Congrats to Jane Yolen.
Teen, 13 years old Written byiJessiee December 14, 2009

Wow What An Intense Book!

Very Good Novel..I Loves It..I am in 7th grade and this book really got me interested to learn more about the holocaust.. I dont think it would be good for tweens to read..I would say 13+ but not 9-12
Teen, 14 years old Written byme_person December 14, 2009

Why

I love this book because it helps kids understand the history of their culture (if they're jewish like we are), but it also helps us need to know what we need to look out for.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

a good book with an intense twist to it.

this book is intense! Theres no doubt about that! Children re murdered, nazies shoot inesent people, they describe in very good description about gas chambers and concentration camps... If that is not intense i don't know what is. I recomend it to only mature 11 year olds who can handle death, tragedy, and the details about the holocaust.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNot_Interested October 30, 2009

4 anyone

Good book
Kid, 12 years old October 28, 2009

great book......Soooooooooo OMG!!!!

omg that book rocked!!!!!! but i have to admit it was really sad and very dscriptive. IS IT APPROPREAT FOR MY KID?: if ur child is 1-10 years old then this book is OFF for them unless ur child is atleast 9 and has some to a lot of knoledge about the holocaust then this book would be just IFFY for them. But if ur child is 8 or under it's an OFF!!! if ur child is 11-13 then this book isnt completly OFF for them it's IFFY. and if ur child is 14 or older then this book is age appropreat and is ON for them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byali nae nae September 23, 2009
I love the book because its intresting and not many people take time 2 sit down and read serious books like this and i was glad efter i did because it got 2 me with how the people were treated think now days we arent treated like that and what would you think if we were? It would be bad right well the thing is i have read this book many many many of times and i like it alot it has its ups and downs but threw it the book gets way better and then it gets into alot of detail which is what makes it itresting because without detail it would be nothing it would be dull boring right think we would be dull and boring without stuff behind us if like sum1 asked u 2 give them detail of what u look like and u say im tall that dont say much like say your hair color eye color big small tall short all that but anyways i hope all you kids in the world like this book and if u havent read it try reading it because it will astonish u ok well much luv
Teen, 16 years old Written bymileyboot June 15, 2009