Parent reviews for The Dragonet Prophecy: Wings of Fire, Book 1

Buddy dragon story surprisingly dark and bloody.

Parent Written byHolly W. June 12, 2018

Best Book Ever!

My 12-year-old is obsessed with this series, and I agree! (I read it too lol) Many reviews say it is overly violent, and while this book can get a bit gory, the others in the series are quite low on violence. Definitely recommend!

Adult Written byBookWerm May 19, 2020

Great Book

I disaree with most parents. Drinking is only mentioned once and should NOT be counted. Yes, there is violence and that is what life is about. We fight wars, and most of the time it is worse than what happens in the book. I am not saying that there is none. I am saying what happens in real life parallels what happens in the book, dragons and magic or not. There are overall morals in each book. Also, THINK. The main characters are trying to bring PEACE to the land.

Adult Written byMew_chan April 28, 2020

I’m a parent and I loved these books. Some violence but good role models

I’ve just finished reading all the currently released books (yes all 14 of them) and I seriously enjoyed them. You won’t be wasting your money or your kids time by starting them on this series (maybe even consider giving it a go yourself if you like adventure fantasy books) - if you are worried about the violence, consider reading the first few pages yourself as it does give a good indication of the level of violence you can expect.

The writing is simplistic, and sometimes predictable, but even though it’s written for a younger audience, it still managed to surprise me with a few twists.

It’s hard to define exactly what age these books are for - While there is violence (it is set during a war after all) it’s of a similar level to that found in other popular youth books like The Hunger Games or the later Harry Potters.

There are some fantastic role models in the series, and for anyone worrying about the LGBT+ content? Get over yourself, there is nothing graphic about it at all (holding hands and saying I love you about the extent of it) and I love how accepting all the other characters were of their relationship - it has a very positive message for how EVERYONE should just accept others relationships.
Adult Written byCassied8 September 29, 2018

A Story Worth Telling

Although this book has graphic imagery, the message it portrays is an inspiring one. With all the dragons believing the world is "kill to survive", a ragtag group of misfits go through a riveting adventure to show everyone that it doesn't have to be that way. The character is the book are beaming with personality that many can connect with. They struggle and grow in this vast, developed world you just want to know more of. Each has a different point of view, switching between the major characters, to illustrate their growth as characters. Everywhere these young dragons go, they inspire those around them to find a different path and to stop the violence. I highly recommend this book to all ages because of how inspiring these books are at promoting different view points and solutions. Parents shouldn't dismiss these books just cause they are violent, but should be wary not to give them to very young kids. When they are older, they should still experience these books.

Parent of a 8 and 11-year-old Written byGarD July 14, 2018

really gruesome page-turner.

My son is almost 9 and he loved the first book - read the 300 pages in just a few days. Had such a hard time putting it down you'd think it was a video game. BUT...it's really violent. Gruesome. I don't know if I'll let him read more in the series. I love to see him love reading, but it's disturbingly gory. What a shame. I saw another reviewer said the rest of the series isn't as violent, so maybe I'll read the next one first, before my son does, and decide from there.

Adult Written bySkye P. February 21, 2018

Wings Of Fire: The Dragonet Prophecy... Is it any good?

The Dragonet Prophecy has to be by far one of the best books I've ever read. It has attaching characters, an interesting plot, and a creative world with it's own dragon tribes. It sucked me up and set me into a whole new universe. I really do suggest this book to any preteen who is looking for an amazingly outstanding book. :)
Adult Written bymadmama17 March 19, 2021

Positive messages and representation, excellent story

I can’t say enough great things about this book and the entire series. It shows characters trying to make an awful world better. Racism and prejudice amongst dragon tribes is rampant, and is broken down through the friendships and struggles that the characters go through. Though there is good and evil, characters don’t have simple black-or-white morality. Characters like Peril can be morally ambiguous and struggle across multiple story arcs. Good characters often have bad ideas and beliefs that they hold onto for a long time (more so in future books). There’s good gender balance amongst characters, and though each dragon has their own unique personality, their traits don’t follow gender stereotypes. Females can be fierce, sarcastic, bubbly or cruel; males can be warm, loyal, bookish, or shy.
On the topic of violence, it’s more than I’d like to see as a parent but my 8yo daughter and several of her classmates read the series and weren’t turned off by it. I’ve heard of it being too much for some younger readers. But for others, an other-worldly fantasy book can be a safe space in which to explore and feel big emotions and not become anxious about it happening to themselves in the real world. I consider it a small downside compared to all the positive messages peppered throughout this intriguing series.

Adult Written byReimroc June 17, 2020

Misleading to kids

This series of books has a great plot, loyalty between friend, sacrifice and kind heated humor.... And then in the most of a chapter, it done of the cloud into extreme good. Extremely violent acts and lots of description of blood spurting out of places. It is really disappointing as I had to edit whole pages for my 8yr old. It has wonderful potential if it weren't for unnecessary acts.

Adult Written byMomToFour September 16, 2019

Way Too Violent

My 11 year old loves the book. He kept reading parts aloud to us and we thought he was just picking the violent parts to read. So we read the book and were horrified. It’s 80 percent violence - gory, graphic, violence in graphic detail. It’s like the book version of a violent video game - much more violent than The Hobbit for example. The character and story development are nothing but weak Segway’s from one violent scene to the next. It doesn’t get better as the series continues.

Adult Written byJDPS June 17, 2019

Great series

My 11 (soon to be 5th grade) year old son discovered this series and absolutely LOVES it! He is currently on book 4. He asked me at 9:30 on a Saturday evening if the Library was open the next day (Sunday) because he HAD to go and get the next book to read. As a teacher, I am inspired by any book or series that engages children so much that they just have to continue reading.

As I was not familiar with the books, he and I read the first book in the series together. It was well-written, had elements of adventure and fantasy, well developed characters, and a great plot and deeper themes. As an adult, I enjoyed the book. I love the fact that my son wants to have conversations about the characters, what he thinks is going to happen next, and the bigger themes of the story. I would definitely recommend the books for 4th grade or older as independent reads. Any younger than that, I think that some of the intricate details of the story line may go unnoticed. As a read aloud, it would probably be OK for 3rd grade, although some of the content may be too intense.

Adult Written byPortlandchicken March 11, 2019

Review from a 9-year-old boy about how awesome it is

If you like fantasy then you must read this! It is my favorite series by far. It's about different dragon types and prophecies. A scary part is when a dragon's face melts off, but it's not too scary.

I began to like Wings of Fire because my sister (age 11 at the time) was reading it and I thought I might like it.

I have nothing else to say because I don't want to spoil it.

PS - I'm 9 years old
Parent of a 10-year-old Written byBexca_14 February 4, 2019

SO AMAZING

My 10 yr old daughters review:

GRATE book, some gruesome bits but otherwise a really good book.
Parent of an infant, 4, 7, and 9-year-old Written byLibby M. September 22, 2017

i haven't read it but...

We have had a really hard time getting our son to read any whole book that isn't a graphic novel or comic book and this is the first series that really got his attention. For this I am grateful. However, I have not yet read this series, though I have just started reading one with him. I will update my review if I change my mind or have additional thoughts.
Adult Written byRukittenme November 20, 2020

BEST BOOK MY NEICE EVER READ

Ok my niece read this book. She loved it and it boosted her imagination! Just a few problems. It’s got a LOT of scenes where characters kill other dragons. The first part of the book is an egg getting killed as well as another dragon. Gruesomely violent fights also arenas like dog fights. Just as long as your kids look up to the dragonets instead of the rival queens they will get amazing role models. Sexual reference is mild so I suppose it’s fine. Not for lil ones though. Also way too addictive and my niece is addicted, NOT FOR PEOPLE ON DRUGS. Because of the addictions that drugs cause you might get addicted to this great series. Love it personally but won’t shut out other things for it

Also star flight treats scrolls like drugs and is far too addicted to reading. In the later books (11) they have references that seem too close to cocaine which I don’t think people noticed. One line I remember from the book is “...on a honey drop spree” which sounds like they’re talking about a drug. Not for homophobes because of gay dragons starting in the 10th book with just crushes on the same gender all the way to book 13 where there’s a gay dragon. Not for proud Christians (worship of things that might offend people who worship god) dragons range from getting drunk on toxins to killing creatures for stealing sweets. Altogether just depends on what you think of this review I covered everything (I think).

Adult Written bysbrannon September 18, 2020

My Son's Review

This is a good book. I love the series. The first one is the most violent out of all of them. Dragons have to fight in an arena but those parts are few. They are pretty violent and dragons are hurt but the wounds are not described, just merely said what was done. A neck is snapped by a queen and a character is devastated but it is not describe in much detail, as I said before, just merely said what was done. The dragonets have to do what is right and 3/5 of them will avoid violence at any cost. One of them only hurts people if she has to. When the queens face "melts" it is only said that the venom hit the face. You do not find out that a side of it "melted" until the 4th book.

My (parents) review-It is a little more violent then my liking but my (at the time 10 year old) son likes it and the rest of the series. When he re-reads that book he usually just skips part 2 (arena scene) but when first reading it he said it is crucial to the entire series to read (17 Books)

Parent of a 9 and 10-year-old Written byJacqueline S. October 9, 2017

Overly gory for kids story

Overly graphic fight scenes detract from the storyline.

Adult Written byOscarmydoge March 15, 2021

I LOVE THIS SERIES SO AMAZING START READING

My friend told me about this book series so I bought the first five books and BLAZED through them. They are so good. I started checking out from the library (also read the graphic novels) and also doing audiobooks on Epic. The best series I have read in 4-5 years. Some violence which is why I am only saying 10+

SPOILER ALERT: because of the violence I will tell you what happens. RainWings venom goes through IceWings neck and kills him quite violently. Tsunami (the main SeaWing) KILLS HER FATHER (she never knew because she was not raised in the seawing palace. Yeah. That kind of stuff. I totally recommend for mature 9-year-olds and immature 11-year-olds (lol) Hopefully you like this series kids.!

Adult Written byWhiteoutwipeout February 2, 2021

*Hugs book* Is 12 hours too soon to start rereading?

Adult Written byRummiyLakata January 29, 2021

Please Read!

This is a very good book. Although it has a bit of violence and war, it has a very good story line. I know a few of my daughter's friends who are around 6-7 years old who read this series. I think that lots of kids interested in magic, mystical creatures, or if your kid likes to read Harry Potter or The Secret of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, then you should definetly read this series! The violence is usually nothing too bad. I do not recommend having 6-8 year olds reading the graphic novels though! The graphic novels have some disturbing pictures, but the chapter books are great! Please read this series. The characters are great role models and can make your child feel they can relate to the series!

Adult Written byWingsOfFireRocks December 18, 2020

Amazing book

I, as a mom, think this a great book for children as they grow up. My daughter, Emily, really likes the series. She is 8 and is loving the series! She says that she would even recommend it for my 4 year old son! I think that the violence is a way for kids to not be scared of small things! :)