All member reviews for The Egypt Game

Parent of a 11 year old Written byMomInNJ March 16, 2011

Violence a little too realistic

This book has both implied and graphic violence, which doesn't add to the plotline or intrigue. Two children have been murdered in the local neighborhood, with one girl's boy described as having been found in a shallow marsh. Later in the story, a girl is assaulted with a first-person description of the feeling of fingers around her throat and air being crushed out of her lungs. What's worse is the incidental violence... one child's cherished pet parakeet is killed when a neighbor's cat breaks into the house... so the kids decide to mummify it by soaking it in brine. There's discussion of ritual sacrifices and how people used to cut off their own fingers. At the very end, the "hero" elderly Professor tells the children how his late wife was murdered by locals in a political uprising while on a charitable mission in a foreign country-- which adds nothing to the storyline except more horror. Maybe this book would be OK for older kids 14+, but not any younger. The violence is too realistic.
Kid, 10 years old September 19, 2010

High expectations...

The Egypt Game caught my eye when my AIG teacher was doing Literature Circle and I picked this book. Hearing talk of it before, it sounded fabulous. Not quite. The book didn't live up to my expectations because for one, it promised a mystery, yet didn't provide near what I look for in a mystery book. It lead to interesting conversation and discussion with my fellow classmates, and I loved the use of Egyptian culture. It left me thinking after I read it, and altogether, was a quite good book, just not exactly what it was described as being.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymkalv February 26, 2009

Not much of a mystery.

I must say, after all the hype for this book, it turns out that the mystery is pretty lame, like the book itself.
Kid, 9 years old February 17, 2011

The Egypt Game was a very good book that involved a little bit of violence but it had lots of mystery and adventure
Kid, 11 years old November 13, 2009

Perfect for Kids

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!! I am only 2/3 done with it and I started it about a week ago. I t is the best book ever and I never want to put it down. I LOVE IT!!!!!!
Educator and Parent Written byLisa123swag456mom December 10, 2013

NOT GOOD

this was one that just was not a good book and etc.
Teen, 17 years old Written byShooter913 December 10, 2012

Game of Egypt

This is a real good book on Egypt and mystery
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2012

My Review

I really thought this was boring. I didn't like it at all. I wish I had read another book.
Kid, 9 years old February 18, 2011

It was intense and weird. It was also a little boring. Over all it was a good.
Kid, 9 years old February 18, 2011

I liked the book. I liked the book because I like books that have mysteries in them.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2011

I thought the book was exiting and adventurous. But it started of slow. It was very interesting.
Kid, 9 years old February 17, 2011

I love it. It is the best book by Zilpha Snyder but a slow start. I learned a lot about Egypt! It is a great mystery.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2011

It was a good mystery book, but if you are looking for action this is not the book to go to! If you absolutely love mysteries this would your #1 book!
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2011

I thought that this book was really interesting. The beginning was a little slow and then it got a little more interesting
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2011

The Egypt Game was a good mystery and had adventure. It had a little of violence.
Kid, 9 years old February 17, 2011

The Egypt Game was a slow book at first but when it got fast it started to be a really good book.
Educator and Parent of a 9 year old Written bydrjones February 11, 2011

good message, slow start

The book has a good message regarding how to treat your neighbors. Not much happens in the beginning, but about three quarters of the way through it gets interesting.
Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2010

Read this book

It was a very good book. However, I couldn't find the mystery part in it. Oh, well. I never did like mystery anyways.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 20, 2010

This is a very great book for children. The only problems are talk about a murder and implied swearing by a character.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjada11207 May 4, 2010

For older kid and up.

i love this book because its good and it is a mystery book for kids and you can find it interesting.