All member reviews for The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate

Kid, 10 years old February 6, 2010

A fun read for girls.

This was great, but the author 'authenticates' it by using the words 'Quadroon' and 'Octaroon' which I don't think kids in the modern world will world will know and shouldn't go around using as they are impolite (besides if they don't know the meaning, they shouldn't use a word anyways). Also people who aren't doctors might find the grandpa describing the battlefield a little gross. But, overall this was really fun and educational. The girl (Calpurnia) is a little like Darwin. She goes around collecting things, and trying to figure out what they mean with her grandpa, which really displeases her mom. Calpurnia is a very strong character whom we can learn a lot from, even though she is not like most young woman at the time, she does do some of the 'proper' things for a young lady - on her mother's insistence. The relation between Calpurnia and her grandpa is great, but there is not much of a relationship between any other characters. I believe this is fine for kids 10+, IF they can cope with the reading and vocabulary. Also, girls are more likely to enjoy this than boys as the story centers around Calpurnia.
Kid, 10 years old April 1, 2010

LOVED IT! Perfect for girls, but guys... well, not so much.

Great book! It is all about science, family, and a girl around age 11! I would definitely recommend this book for any person around age 11. Perfect for girls, but guys might get bored. If the reader can understand the vocabulary, I think they should read it! I loved it!!!
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2010

I really like it i would recomend it to anyone, well maybe not to guys, but other than that i would.
Kid, 12 years old February 12, 2010

LOVED IT!!!

I loved the book im doing it for my book report!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byJo86 July 2, 2013

A great read for children ages 11 & above.

The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is a great book about a intelligent girl in the 1890s who is worried about her future. Will she be the housewife her mother wants her to be? Or go to college and be a teacher as she dreams to be? It has a strong and positive message and is packed with many information about the time period and science (which can be a little boring). Children ages 11 & above will enjoy this book tremendously.
Kid, 11 years old October 14, 2012

AMAZING!!!!

I read this book about one year ago and still remember everything about it! I think it is very educational for kids to know about the old times for a young girl and having brothers. It is really funny at times and surprising what we take for granted and they don't like tasting coke for the first time and having a car to ride in.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybartandtaddy March 18, 2012

Fabulous coming-of-age book for all girls!!

I thought this was a great book for girls around the age of 10 and up. The book had really great role models and I thought you also learn a lot about the way of life they had back then too. Being the age of 11 when I read this book, living in Texas myself, and having a hobby for discovery, I could also relate to it quite well! ( That always helps) I would definitely recommend this book.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDope_Af December 4, 2011

It Sucked In My Opinion

I Was Confused At The Begining && When I Was Finished I Still Didnt Get The Moral Of The Story So I DON'T like It ! && I Love Reading Books ! I Give It 5 Thumbs DOWN...---->Sorry :|
Kid, 12 years old July 27, 2011

good book

i really liked this book. I liked it that calpurnia was a tomboy, and that she wanted to be a scientist (even though there were very few female scientists around). the only thing its missing is action, but it makes up for it by being pretty interesting. by the way, not a guys book. Girls will love though
Kid, 11 years old May 1, 2011

Ok, but a little boring

I think this book is ok, but is a bit boring. Maybe it's because the writing's too old-fashioned for me, or maybe it's just because I like fantasy better, but it's not really interesting for me.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2011

Kid, 11 years old January 24, 2011

Great for ages nine and up!

I think The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate is a wonderful, adventurous story filled with excitement, wonder, love, and curiosity. I would seriously recommend this book to anybody ages 9+. The only reason I rated it bad role models and language was because of the Grandfather. But all in all a GREAT book. Definately a page turner. And I would suggest reading The Danger Box by Blue Balliet before reading this book. If you read The Danger Box beforehand, it really makes more sense of this book!
Kid, 12 years old January 4, 2011

Perfect For Girls

THIS IS MY MOST FAVORITE BOOKS EVER. I love this book and many other people do to. Calpurnia is more real than just a character in a book. She seems so real. In the book Calpurnia is a tom boy. She hates girly things and doesn't care about cooking skills or anything else her mother wants her to learn. She enjoys escaping to her Grandfather's room and observing nature. Her mother doesn't approve. This book will keep you reading with it's long chapters and you'll sure read it again.