Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict

Smart kids, lessons in Mysterious Benedict Society prequel.

Adult Written byEmeraldLight May 15, 2012

Warning to all fans of the series!

To those of you who loved the first three Mysterious Benedict Society books, be warned! Don't expect a fast-paced high adventure. The plot of discovering a long lost treasure is dragged out to the very end, and then--well, isn't quite so satisfying. Of course the "slowness" could have had a point: brilliant young Benedict holding back on discovering the answers because of his inner fears. So, maybe if I wasn't expecting a thrilling page-turning experience like the others, I would have found this book more satisfying. As it is, I am very disappointed to say I found it a slow slightly frustrating read. BUT give it a chance. With what you know now, you may be able to enjoy it more than I did. (However, I absolutely LOVE the first 3 books!!!! Would recommend them to anyone!).
Adult Written byMy4sons May 16, 2012

Good series - like this author

My sons really enjoys this series. It is one of the few newer kids series that is actually appropriate for kids. I will gladly allow my child to read this instead of all the garbage they are feeding kids out there these days. Way to go Trenton Lee Stewart.
Adult Written byElizabeth Penrose May 26, 2013

A Sentimental Education

Ask a child reader how he or she knows that the story was set in the past, and what are the things that we take for granted that are not there. Nicholas begins the novel as someone sensitive to other people's emotions and body language. He uses this knowledge, telling the bullies, "I see the future." Yet he is also a very lonely boy, because of his knowledge, his physical failings, and his lack of a family. At first he wants treasure so he can escape from everybody else. Yet by the end he comes to see that he does need others, not just as instruments toward an end, but as fellow creatures. This "education" arises naturally out of the plot and setting.

Educational Value