All member reviews for The Fault in Our Stars

Teen, 13 years old Written bysavanahs March 6, 2015

Fault in our stars

Reading the fault in our stars had me crying with a box of tissues by my side. The book shows that devistating news calls for loved ones to be by your side. The main character hazel began to slowly fall in love with Augustus. Hazel has lung cancer and Agustus was in remission. Towards the middle of the book was when the devistation begins. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about love and can relate to hazel and agustus sircumstances.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRJB1512 March 1, 2015

Wow. Fabulously written book, that everyone should read

Though this book does have some iffy moments, the overall message is truly inspiring. The descriptions of various character's illness is honest in a different way than is "normal". In general, CCM makes this book sound much worse than it honestly is, as the good moments easily outway the bad. Everyone needs to read this book, because it will truly open your eyes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBookworm1103 February 8, 2015

Favourite novel

This was an excellent novel for people ages 13 and up. The characters are older and some of the metaphors can be hard for younger people to understand. There is one scene that is inappropriate for people under 12 but other than that it was fairly appropriate. In several scenes they are drinking champagne however no one becomes drunk. There is also some use of profanity but minor stuff for children 13 and up, who most likely have heard at school. There are some good messages in here. It is very well written and is one of my FAVOURITE novels ever!
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter February 8, 2015

An amazing, heartbreaking story

A little suggestive in parts, and briefly inappropriate in others. Brief language strong language. Overall, a very sad, but inspiring story of true love...
Kid, 11 years old January 31, 2015

Super good book

I love this book. It is sad but only at the end. It is a great book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHelena Beat January 27, 2015

Excellent Read!!

Its an amazing book honestly. The romance side is great of course, but there's more than that. Don't just look at the reviews and see the swearing and sex (the sex scene is only one sentence long, I might add). Look at the GOOD things. I have anxiety and mild depression, so for me, Hazel was a very relatable character. So was Augustus, although he was less so. There are many "deep" quotes, and some happy moments in the book. There are some quotes that hit me like a lightning bolt because they are so true and relatable in my life. Those are good things to me! I do not recommend that kids under 12 should read it however, because there is some graphic material, and some language. P.S. The champagne is NOT a big deal, honestly. It was two glasses each and they didn't get drunk or anything. Also, to be honest, I don't even care about the language, but for those of you that do, it's definitely there. I put great role models, because even though they do "bad things" in some parts of the book, they're mostly great.
Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2015

Wow!

This book is amazing. It doesn't swear too much only about 3 times while she is meeting her favourite author and a few not so bad words at someone's funeral. This is good because it is a story that could happen and it teaches you to value life. Don't be put off letting your kids read this because of the cancer - it teaches you about it. There are some hard words in there though and I only put maybe for 10 because some parents might be stricter. I read this at 11 ( recommended by my friend who read it at 10 )and loved it!!! If you are worried watch the film it's pretty much the same in terms of swearing and sex.Also Augustus waters has some great metaphors and philosophical messages much like lther John green books. Really sad I lent this to my maths teacher and my friend lent it to another teacher and they both loved it and said nothing about the content
Teen, 15 years old Written byNarwhalLover13 January 18, 2015

John Green is some kind of amazing metaphor person!

I am in love with all of his other books too! I convinced my english teacher to read this as a class in 7th grade! I am amazing! Gus and Hazel are so cute and in love in this book! SO awesome! Please read! Also, its really sad! #omg
Kid, 12 years old January 9, 2015

Excellent!!!

This was the first John Green book I ever read. It is spectacularly written and the characters are incredibly realistic and likable. I found myself crying at the end of this book, which is a rare occasion for me. There is a bed scene and some comments from a few of the characters, but even there the sexuality is very mild.
Teen, 13 years old Written byximenaaa_01 January 4, 2015

A must-read novel. Perfect book for mature teens.

This novel is just beautiful in many ways. It's literally the best novel I've ever read. It's phenomenal. As you read through it, it will talk about two teens, Hazel Grace Lancaster(16) and Augustus Waters(17) going through cancer ;(. You'll begin reading it and not want to put the book down or putting it away. You've got to get those tissues in handy!! This book will make you laugh, cry, heartbroken, and think. A story about death, tragedy, love , and maybe depression. My theme for this novel is "how love triumphs over struggle and hardship". Hazel as the narrator, not only points out on how it's like to be dying, but explains about herself on what she's going through. The conflict is that she struggles on how to live her life and living it the best, possible way. This book contains a few swearing words. Augustus Waters uses cigarettes as a metaphors. He puts the killing (cigarettes) between his teeth, but doesn't give the power to do its killing. I definitely recommend this book to young teenagers (preteens as well) so they can have an idea on how it's like to have cancer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjocelin1011 January 3, 2015

The Fault In Our Stars

My thoughts on the book was that it has great role models meaning that she fights for her life to overcome cancer. Also that she sets a good example to people to never give up. The theme on the book is that don't give up no matter what. I think that's the theme because in the book it mostly talks about trying to overcome their cancer and the love they have for each other. The central idea of the book is that At 16, Hazel Grace Lancaster, a three-year stage IV–cancer survivor, is clinically depressed. She goes to a weekly support group where she meets Augustus Waters, a fellow cancer survivor, and the two fall in love. It deals with life, love, and death. The difference between the movie and the book is that in the book Augustus told Hazel Grace that he was in love with her on the plane, but in the movie Augustus told Hazel Grace that he was in love with her in the restaurant. I would recommend this book because it has great role models to set a good example to people that are having trouble over coming problems in their life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byanarad123 December 30, 2014

An amazing book!

You will need tissues if you are going to read this book. It is one of my favourite books and changes your perspective on the way you look at certain things. It is hard to read as some characters experience some unpleasant thoughts and feelings. Its a great book for mature tweens and teens as it is about a terminal illness. This is a great read for book lovers who love a good page-turner!
Teen, 13 years old Written byanu_directioner4eva December 21, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byTwilighted8 December 14, 2014

This is my favorite book(SPOILER ALERT!!!!)

I loved this book so much. There is a little bit of sex and language but its not that bad. There is a sad part when Augustus dies, this made me and my mom cry. It may be a little too intense for younger children.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCommonsense person December 11, 2014

Great read. I fell in love with this book from the start. I don't think any kids under the age of 13 should read. This book is somewhat graphic and kids under 8th grade should not read. The characters do have sex but it is described briefly . The book does have some sexual references .

Teen, 13 years old Written byBasketball_6 December 8, 2014

Tear-jerker

This book is really good. A mature kid should be able to handle this book. There is one sex scene in it,but it does not go into detail. It does have quite a few bad words but it makes you cry if you connect with the characters. You will fall in love with Hazel and Augusts as they fall in love with each other.
Teen, 17 years old Written bymegan_shumaker December 7, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

It has some language but 10 and up should be able to handle a few select words.
Teen, 14 years old Written byaabigailrose November 29, 2014

Love Story for the Ages!

I read this book as a mature twelve year old, but I think it is definitely a book for a mature child. The plot is beautiful and heartbreaking, and I cried. It is a heart wrenching story that deserves a read. It sends some wonderful messages about love and honesty, as well as being yourself. However, there are some iffy sequences that deserve examination. The violence is naught, but there is a sex scene. It is not described in any detail, however, it is referenced fairly clearly, as well as some accompanying references to nudity. It is a necessary scene, but one to watch out for. There is some swearing, but at the level you would expect for a book starring two sixteen year olds. Also, there are references to cigarettes, although no one smokes in the book. Finally, there is underage drinking portrayed as an "exceptional circumstance", and does not in any way promote drinking to young children. Overall this is a wonderful choice for any teen, and a mature child. It is a heart trending novel about love and heartbreak, and one that I easily recommend as a must-read.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygmvyoshi November 28, 2014

A Beautiful Love Story

John Green is an amazing author and I have to say that, after reading it for the fourth time, The Fault In Our Stars is truly my favorite John Green book, otherwise I wouldn't have read it four times. Hazel and Gus are both great role models and send positive messages about love. Language-damn, goddamn, bastard, b--ch, and one use of f-cking (out of anger). Sex-there is a scene that is briefly described of Isaac and Monica groping. There is also a love scene between Hazel and Augustus. Younger readers wouldn't understand what was happening at this point. There is a brief mention of condoms and how "...Augustus was having condomy problems..." Violence-there really is no violence except the fact that two teens dying of cancer(I WON'T GIVE ANY SPOILER ALERTS), is very emotional. But I would say the violence comes in if you watch the movie where we see medical procedures, etc. but none in the book is described graphically. Unless you consider egging someone's car as violence. Isaac, blind, eggs Monica's car to get revenge. Drugs/Drinking/Smoking-Gus puts unlit cigarettes in his mouth but never lights them in the book and says he never has. Peter Van Houten, author of 'An Imperial Affliction,' is a drunk and is always drinking. There is a brief mention of marijuana and fake IDs. Outside of all the controversial stuff, TFiOS is a great book and movie and I recommend it to mature teens ages 14+.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywhiteblack November 27, 2014

Fun...

This book is enormous fun. It gives you important morals and makes you think about the important things in life. It's bittersweet. The romance is touching but can be a little cheesy at times. It makes you sigh with the sweetness of it. This book is very predictable and the characters are a bit unbelievable with their changing personalities at times.