All member reviews for The Fellowship of the Ring

Teen, 14 years old Written byKScottA August 19, 2009

An Absolutely Fabulous book to be enjoyed and marveled at by older tweens and up!

The reason I rated this iffy for 12 year olds is not due to content but simply because I am unsure whether kids under 12, and in fact even some 12 year olds, will be able to get through this book. If they can, then by all means let them read it, as this is an enchanting and beautiful masterpiece. The world that Tolkien has created feels just as real as the world we live in. Descriptions wonderfully detailed and in depth, story and story telling absolutely fantastic, and marvelously wonderful and likeable characters fill this book. A must read for anyone who can read a book this deap and thoughtful, especially fantasy lovers.

Awesome

Very enjoyable, though it is hard to get into as it starts off quite slow, but once you get to the second half it becomes Most Excellent. However, I did find myself skipping a lot of the poems and songs. I'm sure they were very nice and all, but I found myself going "Oh, noes. Another song . *sigh*".
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheMovieGuru May 12, 2014

Absolutely Fantasic

This is a fantasic example of quality writing. JRR Tolkien perfectly creates a world that is easy to get lost in. If Common Sense hadn't rated this book 5/5 stars, i would have beenquite annoyed. The characters are vibrant and perfect. A must-read for anyone who appreciates good literature.
Kid, 11 years old August 26, 2013

great book
Teen, 14 years old Written byTripFoot July 13, 2013

Not as good as everyone says.

CSM says, "With this spectacular tale, Oxford University professor J. R. R. Tolkien invented not only a language and a land in which it was spoken but also -- unintentionally -- a new literary genre. Tolkien was perhaps the first author to create a fully realized, authentic-seeming world." No no no no no! Fantasy was a well-established genre before that! Have you ever read The Worm Ouroboros? Puck of Pook's Hill? And on top of that, Tolkien's world might be detailed, but it is very flat - there s good (men) and evil (orcs) with little exception. And all the main characters are white men. And the woman are barely present. (Yeah, women weren't traditionally warriors, but they took advantage of the system as much as they could, and were strong and brave without being warriors.) Plus, I will never understand the point of Tom Bombadil.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymuse January 16, 2009

Amazing Classic

The Fellowship of the Ring might not be so action-packed at the start like recent fantasy stories these days, and contain archaic (if i might use that term) english terms that made me a little more than confused at first--but the description and creations are AMAZING. A must read. Best fantasy book of all time.
Kid, 10 years old April 25, 2015

Really good

I don't worry about violence. But it's kinda confusing for me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byibibrov April 2, 2015

One of the best books i've ever read!

I absuloutely loved this book.I first read it when i was 11 and the lanuage was a bit too hard so you should read this if you are 12 and above.
Kid, 12 years old November 28, 2014

Fav. Book

my fav. Book! i read it when i was nine. not twelve
Teen, 16 years old Written bytrish123567 August 18, 2014

LOTR

The Lord of the Rings is a high reading level. I have read LOTR twice now and I believe that it deals with some mature themes that can be very hard to understand for younger kids. These themes include dark magic, torture, sacrifice, death, betrayal, nameless evil that is everywhere and in everyone to some degree. It is also "okay" that one hobbit is less than the other and must call him master and serve him because of the family he was born into. Also almost everyone smokes in this book.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBritreader9779 June 27, 2014

a not so modern tale

lord of the rings by j.r.r tolkien is one of the most influential pieces of literature of all time, with epic themes, fascinating, well rounded and at times funny characters and a wonderful fantasy setting. the movies (more so than the books actually) have become ingrained with the concept of fantasy film making, and are still hugely popular today, around 14 years since the trilogy of films began. Readers who are expecting the book to be just as fast paced, and action packed as the trilogy however may feel a little dissapointed in the source material. a whole lot of time is spent walking around middle earth in the first book of this volume of tolkien's epic. its important for readers to understand that although this book is assumed to be the first book in the lord of the rings trilogy, it is in actuality simply the first part of the lord of the rings, which tolkien initially wanted to publish as 1 book. this slow pace may leave readers impatient for "the action" to begin, and while there are some meetings and conflicts within this one they aren't particularly iconic or fast paced.. (except the scenes in Bree at the inn) which are suprisingly fast paced compared to the slow burn of the rest of the book. if you do not mind the meandering and constant description of scene and history the book is immersive and (once you come to the end,) a very satisfying read.
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2014

Violence, Drugs, ect.

This is not a book for 9 year olds because there is violence, language and name calling and drinking and smoking .
Kid, 12 years old May 26, 2014

Amazing!

This is my favorite book ever! I think as long as you are an advanced reader and don't mind some violence and heavy themes, this is a great (and basically the first) fantasy. There is plenty of drinking and smoking, because that is part of hobbits' culture, but it's not a problem in my opinion. It's a good idea to read The Hobbit first, as it basically sets the stage for The Lord of the Rings.
Teen, 13 years old Written by-Angelica- March 19, 2014

Must Read!!

This book is the BEST. The first half is a bit boring, but once you get past that, you will NOT want to put this book down, and you will not be able to stop obsessing over this series. It's hard to read at first, but if you do you can't stop. This book is like a drug, a good one if it's possible. It's full of good messages and excellent role models, however kids ten and under shouldn't read it. It's an extremely deep book, and you have to be old enough to appreciate and understand what's going on. The violence isn't descriptive, and it's beautifully written, and nature is beautifully described. Everyone should read this at least once in their life. I would read this over and over. You will never forget it, and when you read it, you feel like you are pulled into it. You will begin to long for the world that the characters live in no mater how corrupted their world may become. There are no words to describe this majestic, beautiful novel.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookconsumer February 1, 2014

Great Book for Everyone

I was read this book aloud when I was 7-ish and loved it. I am in the midst of rereading it, and it is great, and not simplistic at all. Adults would love to reread it to their children.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg01 June 27, 2013

One of the best fantasy stories ever written (and the trilogy).

Educational Value - 3/5 - There is a whole lot to learn about J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-Earth. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is far more complex than his prequel "The Hobbit". He intends to follow the plot with riddles and poems and songs, and his language makes you think of which and what would occur then. Maps, histories, family trees, and languages are detailed here. Even a history event from hobbits is in the prologue. Positive Messages - 4/5 - Good vs. Evil is at the heart of the trilogy. The stakes here are very high, many races, the most innocent and smallest, must battle against evil for the one ring. Even the hobbits have to carry the burden. Gandalf teaches Frodo a message about the suffering of Gollum. Tom Bombadillo informs both Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, about an ecosystem lesson, beginning with "The trees and grasses and all things growing and living in the land belong each of themselves." Positive Role Models - 4/5 - Frodo, at first, becomes reluctant to go on his beginning for his quest. Sam is very royal and friendly to Frodo, and doesn't trust anyone else. Gandalf and Aragorn are good protectors of the fellowship. Merry and Pippin seems wise and always very curious. Boromir intends to battle against the ring for 1000 men and to curse himself with the ring instead of following the plans. Violence - 4/5 - About as grim as the movie. The company have to battle orcs, wolves, and a large creature covered with fire (the Balrog). A tooth-like squid tries to eat the heroins. Gollum is describedd about getting tortured, and at first strangled someone since his friend had found the ring. The Nazgul is described as fear overcoming the darkness. The peril from the Nazgul can be overwhelming. Little bloodshed is described, even though the book describes beheadings of orcs and wolves. Bows, daggers and swords are used as weapons. Sexual Stuff - 0/5 - None. Language - 1/5 - One use of A*s. Drinking/Drugs/and Tobacco - 3/5 - Drinking and Pipe-weed are shown frequently, even by Gandalf, the hobbits, and Strider (the prologue says all about pipe-weed). Drinking is described on social meetings, and some say the think about it lovingly. Consumerism - 2/5 - Hard to forget the movies, video-games, even a Lego game was made here, action figures, toys, and costumes. Why I liked this - This book was determined one of the best. And I think it is. The description was vividly detailed, and Tolkien's writing seemed to have a style to appeal thought-provoking tales. This is very much an adult tale, but it would appeal to young readers. Tolkien was perhaps the first one to create a fully-realized, authentic-seeming world. Brimming with various engaging cultures and creatures to accept the magic, that seems as fully realized as our own. But first, how did this story be names 'epic'? Epic battles: yes. But inner-turmoil too. Overwhelming forces of the Nazgul's and other evil, show temptation and greed to one self. But perhaps so of the magic of friendship and loyalty and devotion. This is where the word "epic" was created from. From it's simple narrative it deserves it's true power.
Kid, 11 years old June 11, 2013

Great book

It is a really good book. It makes you never want to put a this book down ever again! It is action packed with awesome battles with elves, orcs, humans, dwarves and many other mythical creatures. If you like adventure and fighting then come and get this book!
Teen, 13 years old Written byStrategist101 April 10, 2013

The Fellowship of the Ring

This classic fantasy novel has some of the few positive role-models you can find now. Great dialogue, amazing writing and the solid story behind the characters give it a 3-D feel.
Teen, 13 years old Written byreader_till_the_end April 2, 2013

slightly boring at first but gets way better

The book is quite good, Tolkiens new world is amazing and inspirational. But the beginning of the book is very dull and boring. As Frodo and his followers continue their quest wars rage and blood is drawn.The literature is very oldschool and might be hard to understand but you should really give it a try!
Teen, 14 years old Written byTolktranga September 30, 2012

The Lord of the Fantasy Books.

It is an amazing book. I have seen all the movies and recently decided to read the books, and I just can't put it down. I have to read one book per quarter, and for each book make a slideshow and take a test. I think I know what my first 3 quarter books ill be! (Why I put drinking, drugs, and smoking, because the characters smoke pipes and do drink some sort of mead or something, but very little is it mentioned)