All member reviews for The Field Guide: The Spiderwick Chronicles, Book 1

Ideal summer read for the middle elementary crowd.

SPiderwick takes its chances.

Spiderwick book 1 was pretty good, pretty short, and pretty... well thats already two pretties too much. The book was great.. blah.. blah.. blah... how much more is there to say?
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

Great book!

Great book. The story is great. I love everything in it!
Kid, 11 years old November 4, 2011

very good book

loved it
Parent of a 8 and 8 year old Written byEzri_B April 9, 2008

LOVE this collection

I enjoyed reading this collection. It has amazing imagry, the pictures are sensational. And the story is amazing. 2 of my boys adore it, and my youngest is anxious to read it himself.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySAR April 9, 2008

Perfect for a rainy day

The Spiderwick Chronicles are good for all ages. It's the perfect book for a quiet, rainy afternoon.
Kid, 8 years old November 26, 2011

The nice book

nice
Teen, 14 years old Written byjonnypants23 April 9, 2008

Read this book.

This book is a very interresting fanasty book mystical creatures , very interesting storie line. I truly liked it. These authors are very imaginaritive.
Adult Written bylibrary_queen April 9, 2008

A very riviting book. I just wish the author would have kept out the word c**p. It adds nothing to the story and is completely unnessesary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byspiderwick May 19, 2010

Great book

it was good it has some words some parents might not like , for example crap and there is some drama of there parents being devorced so it is a little unpositive other then that the book was amazing the pictures were nice the storyline was good and id reccomend it for children 8-13
Teen, 13 years old Written bykit-kit September 22, 2009

good for teenagers,and 10 year old for good imagination!!

,love it and all other series to the link of the first book!!!!!!!! love them all age 13
Educator Written byPrairie Teacher December 7, 2011

Richly illustrated fantasy with topics to talk about.

Fine storytelling with wonderful illustrations. There is plenty to discuss about families, school violence and bad behaviour, and the main character's feelings of isolation. My third graders were surprised to hear "crappy" and "shut up" from a book I would read to them. I think it's fine for kids to read, provided there is discussion about the book's themes and appropriateness of what goes on in its pages.
Adult Written byPoppsy December 23, 2009

It's perfect for all age groups

I just love this movie as well as the books !!!!!!!1
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2012

hi

nice book
Kid, 11 years old January 23, 2013

Great

One of the best book series you will ever read.
Parent Written bymamathree April 18, 2012

Caution to cat lovers!

My older kids loved the story, read them all one summer a few years ago when my boys were 8 and 12. HOWEVER, my 8 year old cat-loving daughter was screaming upset to her very soul when, in book 2, the heroes came upon the goblin camp and found them roasting something on a spit "that looked like a cat"...and then the drawing on the next page shows just that! I pre-read and skimmed over alot of the rest of that chapter, because she loves it otherwise, but i think i'm going to cover the cat on a spit with a well-placed drop of ink (it's a picture of a forest, with cages up in trees, and way down below is the camp of goblins and their fire...small cat but identifiable). she never wants anything to happen to cats, ever, and although it wasn't the cat they knew, it was a cat nonetheless. "Language" refers to many, many instances of name-calling, between siblings, from creatures to humans and each other, etc. funny that you can't recommend it for " x age and OLDER"...only x age and younger. I would say 9 and up...don't know what i'm going to replace tonight's story with, when i "LOSE" the book for a year!
Teen, 13 years old Written byorangeduck11 September 27, 2014

Anyone can read this!

This series is easy to read and gets right to the point without being goofy or too simple, making it a good book for anyone to read.
Parent Written byAEW30 September 20, 2013

Not for six year olds!

If this was a single book, I might agree with the age 6 rating that common sense has given. Unfortunately it is the first in a series of 5 books that need to be read together to make sense and complete the story. I read the first one to my son (nearly 8) based on this review, but had to do some serious editing with the remaining four based on language and content. (Several 'Oh Craps,' the word Hell, spilling the beans on the tooth fairy, etc.) It was an excellent series, but should be for older kids.