Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for The Girl Who Drank the Moon

Entrancing fantasy spun with magic stresses power of love.

Adult Written bymagicalducktape March 20, 2017

Super Great Book!

I am 11 and I personally love this fantasy! The way the author wrote it makes you never want to set it down. I was done with it within 3 days of starting! Let me note: The first few chapters are very confusing and you may want to stop it, KEEP GOING! Yet, there are a few sad scenes, and quite a lot of make-you-feel-empty creepiness, the overall book is enchanting. Each chapter section is in different views, but at the same time, and this gives you a great affect. Other than the hollow weirdness, this would certainly be a five star. The book itself gives many good messages, if you are one to see them. I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy, magic, and mystery.

Adult Written byKirsten S. January 5, 2018

Great book, but there are some heavy themes for younger kids

I read this book yesterday because my 8 & 6 year olds want to read it. Both are very advanced readers so I like to read things first to make sure that the content is ok for a younger child. The biggest iffy thing to me is the whole Protectorate civilization where the elders manipulate the villagers by taking the youngest born infant every year and leaving it in the woods as a sacrifice to the witch because they are told that is the only way to keep her from coming to kill them all...but really it’s just the elders trying to keep everyone scared enough to control. The witch is a good witch who takes the “sacrificed” babies & brings them to a better village/family every year, so nothing bad actually happens to them, but the parents of the children don't know that. They are suffering/going insane because they think their children are being sent off to die and the elders feed off of that. Some kind of dark & heavy themes for younger children in my opinion. There really isn't much violence...the only real event that I can recall is when a man gets his face shredded by razor sharp magical paper cranes. Most of the rest is implied violence: the elders talk about having to kill people who are a problem or question things, there are torture chambers and people talk about people screaming & crying in the night, the main character goes off with intentions of slitting the throat of the witch. Overall the book has many positive messages: standing up for what you believe in, the importance of family, the power of hope/love/forgiveness. I think we are going to put this one up on the shelf for a little while and wait until they ask about it again. I think there are better choices for my girls at this moment (because really they are still super young) but we will revisit it again in a year or so I'm sure.

Adult Written bymomof2NY April 28, 2018

quite dark

I just finished this as an adult read and really enjoyed it. I would describe the book as quite dark. It reminds me of a more mystical Hunger Games. I would not think my 10 yr old daughter would be quite ready for this. I would recommend for tween to teen age. Things don't really turn around for any character in the book until the last few chapters...after page 300. It is a magical book and beautifully written but has a somber tone throughout.
Adult Written byRachael B. December 6, 2017

Adult Written bySthomaskics July 25, 2018

Very good - warning: adoption triggers

This is an excellent book with narnia-scale gospel symbolism. As an adoptive mom, however, I suspect this could cause some serious feelings for children with adoption-rooted identity questions. The ending ties it together in the best way possible, but, of course, most of our kids don’t get the happy ending (bio fam + adopted fam) offered in this story. Read it with your kid if that’s part of their story.

Parent Written bygrandmareader December 18, 2018

Fantasy Newbery Medal Book with Heavy and Violent Themes

This book is interesting and has a good flow but is based on the horrendous practice of infanticide where a yearly ritual is to leave a newborn baby in the forest to die or be killed in order to appease the witch and save the village. But wait...the witch does not kill the babies; she gives them to perfect-matching parents in a different village, while the original parents go mad. This theme really bothered me while reading the book, and colored my appreciation for anything good that happens in the story.

Adult Written byAmber G. February 22, 2018

Excellent story, characters to look up to

My family of avid readers LOVED this story, full of great family talking points, characters choosing kindness, and a strong females.

Adult Written byBrooke E. April 24, 2018

Excellent Book

The Girl Who Drank the Moon, written by Kelly Barnhill, introduces the role of authority, its consequences when refused, and legends. Barnhill puts the reader on an emotional rollercoaster as families are ripped apart when babies are sacrificed to the witch once a year. The truth, along with magical abilities of a few, are uncovered. I highly recommend this book. The ending is not what you would expect – thank GOD!

Parent of a 12 and 12 year old Written byKhaleesi7 January 22, 2019

Great fantasy with focus on love

Character are strong and insightful. Good story. Interesting for 4th graders. Holds their attention. Xan is a good example of tough choices and motherly love. Beautiful vocabulary.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byboyandmom October 4, 2018