All member reviews for The Giver, Book 1

Teen, 13 years old Written byConsiderItRead October 26, 2011

Unbelivably Enlightning.

I can't belive how shallow the parents on this website are being. I am a 13 year old in my 8th grade year, and I appear to be more understanding than these adults are about this book. The Stirrings are NOT sexually inappropriate-remember that this book is for teens, who are going through puberty. My amazing 8th grade teacher explained the reason why the releasing of unfit children is understandable. "I worked in a Special Ed. class for about 3 years, and throughout that time, I met a child. He was disfigured and nobody liked to be around him. Everyday, he would ask me 'Why? Why would they let me live?' and I realized that he was in intense pain. It would be better to have killed the child, rather than selfishly having him live through life, unable to reproduce, unable to make real friends or live a normal life and constantly in pain." Although I don't agree with killing children, I can understand certain circumstances. Another point she brought up was: "If you saw an animal on the side of the street, it's legs squished to the ground because of being ran over by a car and its stomach bleeding, which of these would you do: Try to save the dog, or put it out of it's misery?" After discussion, our class ended our discussion, most of us deciding to save the dog. She wisely told us, "I would kill the dog. You know why? Because that animal is in PAIN. Even after surgury or whatever, it would still live with that constant pain, for the rest of its life until it died a painful death." This all applies to The Giver. This book is not 'Sick' or 'Inappropriate', its REAL. This book shows us dehumanization-when killing babies is a matter that is disreguarded as important and just a lifestyle. Birthmothers not given any glory is also understandable. In this 'perfect' society, they are taught about things at a young age and they believe it. Lois Lowry is not implying that giving birth is a job meant for the unintelligent, she's just saying that in this 'perfect' society, that is just how people think about it because of false facts. For the parents out there that believe that this book is teaching us children that it is ok to stick a needle in children who are unfit for society, THIS IS NOT THE CASE. Do you parents honestly think that after reading about releasing, we went to our next periods saying that all of the Special Ed. kids should just go die? Of course not. Please open your eyes and give this book the chance that it deserves. Don't be so foolish as to let your children miss out on this literary treasure. This novel is truely my favorite, and I'm sure that many more will come to love it. Keep on writing, Lois Lowry. <3
Kid, 12 years old February 20, 2011

Don't be Afraid to feel.

Comparing my review to others you may be wondering why I haven't decided to put the sexual behavior sign. Well, because it isn't necessary. Why you may ask? Well, this book has been made for kids going through puberty. Don't you understand, sexual thoughts, fitting into your community those ideas are put in the book so tweens can feel empathy towards the main character Jonas. As a becoming teen I can understand in some ways how the main character feels. One most see that this story lets you know its okay for those feelings, one as a human must cope with them. The realsing of people is horrible and many things the community were Jonas lives are but they show the world isn't heaven and as a parent you can't hide a child from it. The longer you try to keep them in a bubble it will be more shocking to them to meet the REAL world. I personally do not understand the mother how disliked the book so much but I feel that she did have her reasons, though they seem quit meaningless to me. You need to decided if the book is right for you're living style. But I'll let you know if it is there is one thing that it will teach you and leave in printed in your skin. Don't be Afraid to feel. To wonder? To challenge the world. For all those great characters such as Gandhi or Martin Luther King, that is what they did.
Teen, 17 years old Written bywereallmadhere May 25, 2011

this novel is amazing and if you disagree, you don't understand the book

first of all, if you have not read this book entirely, you shouldn't have an opinion about it. this book is simple and direct. the storyline is that you need to find out the truth and make your own decisions. freedom is prohibited in Jonas's society which is why he runs away at the end. HE RUNS AWAY. the book does NOT glorify the slightly communistic dystopian ways of the society. the whole point is to reject the mechanical and heartless world that is portrayed. yes, Jonas has somewhat sexual dreams, but that is natural for everyone and the society gives him pills to suppress the urges which adds to the inhuman methods that rule the community. and yes they kill a baby by lethal injection. this is the last straw for Jonas and the main reason he decides to leave the only place he has ever known, saving another baby named Gabriel in the process. you may think this is inappropriate for some, but children see murders, child abduction, rape and killings on the news and in newspapers everyday. at least The Giver can contrast our society with the fictional one created to let readers see the differences and appreciate that what they have been given is the same thing Jonas is fighting for.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAshleyMarie13 April 15, 2010

One of the most amazing books I have ever read.

I hate Science Fiction, I hate fantasy. And its weird how my two hatreds came together and gave me an amazing story to read. My 7th grade class was assigned to read the book, and while everyone was falling asleep with boredom, I absolutely fell in love with the book. Chapter by chapter. This book can be quite confusing at points and some of the time I had to even ask my teacher what was going on, but all in all this book was great. I don't suggest it to MOST preteens considering my entire class, plus the other 3 classes that read it thought it was boring. It's all pretty much based on your maturity level.This book gives us an idea of how perfect our world really is. I am thankful that I read this book, it open my eyes to a lot of things I have never thought of before. This is surely a book you'll never forget.
Teen, 13 years old Written byILoveView June 25, 2010

This is the worst book I have ever read! This book makes no sense to me.
Teen, 13 years old Written byorangetiger June 14, 2011

I love it

This is the best book I have ever read. Really, this book has a deeper meaning. Lois Lowry has crafted a beautiful novel, and given us something all to think more deeply. :) <3

PLEASE IGNORE THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS

NO book on planet Earth can portray the great message of this one. There is nothing in appropriate unless you don't allow 1 small natural infatuation. Jonas(main) has a small dream where is female friend seems attractive to him but NOTHING ELSE! I swear! This book get 5 thumbs up!

It made me cry (not in a good way)

I Had to read this for my english class. It went against everyhing i thought my mom read it with me and was quite shocked to find out want was going on. I Didn't like that in the book they could not chose anything or that the boy had to witness death it is wroung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This book left me scared and hurt.
Kid, 11 years old December 31, 2010

Know your kid

I loved this book but younger kids may find the scene where jonas witnesses his dad kill an unwanted infant disturbing. The characters are victim to a world with no choice or freedom. Citizens are rejected(executed) for unfair reasons such as being a twin or getting too old. Book shows that a "perfect" world is not really perfect though it may appear to be at first
Teen, 13 years old Written byantoine May 29, 2010

the giver is an amazing book with surprises around every corner but some surprises are a bit disturbing for children.
Teen, 16 years old Written byillys212 May 5, 2010

im not excited about it! ITS SUCH A DISGUSTING SOCIETy! its such a good book when hes wtith the giver but it s such a disturbing community and how they put such a burden on one person! THATS MAKES ME UPSET. BUT I RECOMMEND IT. PEOPLE SHOULD SEE WHAT A PERFECT WORLD WOULD BE LIKE. ITS NASTY NO UNIQUENISS!!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bycorrabella May 3, 2010

Sorta bad

The book was not very well written. It had a poor ending that did not make sense to me. The book is sorta interesting, but not really.
Teen, 13 years old Written byluvyalol May 27, 2010

great book!

reminded me of a twist in time. if you like exciting or adventure stories this is not the book for you. made me think of how lucky i am to live in a society where you can make decisions. the book didnt really end thats the only bad thing about it

INCREDIBLE!!

This is my all-time favorite book, I've read it 5 times. This is definatley a book for more mature tweens or teens. I thought SO much during this book. It has so much thought and wonder. I understood it much better after reading it for the 2nd time, as I first read it as a young 10 year old. It made me mad, (although that might not be the right word) to see that the characters never had feelings, and that the commitee tried to make it seem as if they did with "the Sharing of Feelings", a time during evening-meal where everybody would share their "feelings" then be comforted and once again, be happy. I felt SOO much during this book! LOVED it!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypapascrep April 9, 2008

One of the most thought-provoking novels ever

I read this book as my 8th grade novel and it really made us rethink our society. The main character goes through many feelings that we felt while reading the book, just on the opposite side. The novel isnt exactly suitable for those under the age of 12 or 13, because i dont think they'd understand the deeper meaning of the novel. Im sure adults would enjoy the Giver as well.

I just finished reading it today!

I laughed, I cried, and I looked at life in a different way when I read Lois Lowery's The Giver. Jonas doesn't seem like an ordenary pre-teen, and he lives his life much differently then I do. But when he meets The Giver, his whole life is flipped upsidedown. I think that this book is very good, and should be shown to the world. There is warfare, death, sexual content, and some content that younger people may not understand. But out of all the books I have read, I think that The Giver is one of my Top 3. Lowery has captured me once again and didn't let go until I read the last words. Huzzah fo The Giver!
Teen, 13 years old Written byDead Runway July 6, 2012

The book is wonderful! I reccomend this book to everyone, even for people who hate reading!

I read this book for a school book report, and it went wonderfully! When I was done with the report, my mom wanted to read The Giver, and she read it and loved it! She even shared it with HER friends, and they loved it too! This is a child's/preteen's book, but adults love it too. It is totally appropriate for children 10 & up! Some adults say that this book is bad for children and that it gives them the "wrong values" and that this book is an example of "society gone astray", because of it's perfectly utopian society. THAT IS NOT TRUE. DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE ADULTS WHO SAY THAT. Because of that utopian society, this book simply OPENS children's minds that makes them really think about it. I mean, c'mon. What would OUR society be like if it were that way? Would everything really be "perfect" if our society functioned that way? (etc.) There you go! A perfectly thought-provoking read. Oh and also, toward the middle of this book, Jonas (he's the main character if you haven't already figured that out) experiences "stirrings". Stirrings are a natural thing for 12 year olds in the society to feel, and they can simply be "cured" with a pill. "Stirrings" are slightly sexual thoughts/dreams. But remember, they're very mild. They're so mild that the sex sign (the black dot with white lips on it) isn't even necessary to put here. If you want to find out what the "stirrings" are like, then read the book! I'll summarize this book for you: (Sorry that it's a little long:) The summary is written below this. You don't have to read it if you don't want to. But I strongly suggest you do. Meet Jonas, an eleven-year-old boy who lives in a rigidly controlled society some time in the future. In his "community," there is no suffering, hunger, war, and, as you will soon see, no color, sex, music, or love. Everything is controlled by "the Elders," right down to who you will marry, who you receive as children, and what you will be "assigned" as a job. Individual identity has gone the way of cassette tapes, and everyone is essentially just like everyone else. It seems that no one has really left the area, except to visit other neighboring communities. To get "released" is a big deal. It only happens to sick infants or really old people, or to people who break the rules. In short…this world is a lame place to hang out. Right, so because Jonas is almost twelve, it's almost time for him to get assigned a profession. There's a big ceremony at which the decisions are announced. Jonas watches all his friends get their jobs (Recreation Director, Caretaker for the Old), but then he's skipped over. The Chief Elder finishes the ceremony and explains that Jonas has been "selected" to be The Receiver of Memory, which is a BIG DEAL. Jonas looks over at the current Receiver, an old man who, like Jonas, has light eyes. This is also a big deal; Jonas is one of very few people in the community with light eyes. Speaking of light eyes, Jonas's family has been taking care of a sick baby named Gabriel with this same unusual characteristic. If the baby doesn't get better within a year or two, he's going to be released from the community. OK, so now that Jonas has been selected to be Receiver, he gets a list of rules. They tell him that he isn't allowed to discuss his Receiver "training" with anyone, that he's allowed to lie (!), and that he can ask anyone any questions he wants, even if it's rude. Nice. And then Jonas starts his training, which consists of receiving a series of memories from the old Receiver, who is now referred to as The Giver. These aren't just any old personal memories; rather, the old man is passing on to Jonas all the memories of humanity, going way back. The memories are from before their community was established, back when there was color and sex and love and music and emotions and hills and snow and sunshine, all of which are notably absent from Jonas's world. The very first memory he receives is that of sledding down a hill in the snow. While Jonas gets to experience lots of fun things like Christmas and birthday parties, he also has to deal with the bad memories, like sunburn, loss, death, and warfare. Needless to say, this completely changes the way Jonas looks at his world. He realizes that no one around him has ever felt any real emotions at all. A year into his training, Jonas discovers that the process of "release," which is performed on people who break the rules, babies who are sick, and folks who are very old, is really nothing more than a lethal injection. This doesn't go over too well. He and The Giver devise a plan: Jonas will fake his own death and run away to Elsewhere, a.k.a. the land outside the communities, which is, for all intents and purposes, very similar to OUR world (in other words, it has music and color and joy, but also violence and poverty). Once Jonas leaves, the memories which The Giver has passed to him will be released to the general community, at which point they'll all just have to deal with the pain. Oh, and also they'll be free, because they'll understand what it means to have choices. Great. Sounds like a plan. Except it doesn't work. While he's getting ready for the big escape night, Jonas finds out that the little baby with light eyes, Gabriel, is going to be "released" the next morning. He has to make an improvised, fast-paced, and thrilling bicycle escape, taking the baby with him. So.......do Jonas and Gabriel die??? Read this book to find out!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bytebow loves cheez March 14, 2012

Terrible

Not good
Kid, 11 years old October 31, 2011

INTERESTING

Very weird, but interesting novel. A courageous young boy sets off on a journey to find more about the unsettling system he lives in. Violence: They kill babies by injection In one scene the kids bathe the elderly. Jonas says it was,"exposed", and he liked the feeling. He also has 'stirrings' which is like mental puberty.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycoolness97 June 25, 2011

A must read book!

I really enjoyed The Giver! The book is wonderfully written and full of detail! Yes, it contains some mature topics. So deciding if this book is appropriate really depends on your child's maturity level. The Giver is a must read book!