All member reviews for The Graveyard Book

Creepy AND warmhearted -- one of Gaiman's best.

Parent of a 1 and 6 year old Written byjandrewworld June 19, 2010

There is a reason why Neil Gaiman has won every award when it comes to literature.

This is the perfect book to read with your child before they go to bed. Each chapter is a self contained story, but each story sets up the end of the book. The only problem I had is that the book ends. Perhaps this summer I will read it with my little girl.
Parent of a 4, 4, 7, 9, and 11 year old Written bygzegras November 18, 2010

Teen, 13 years old Written bypussycat123 November 14, 2011

Need to Read! (especially at halloween.)

I just finished reading this book, and its one of the best books i have read besides the harry potter series. i got kind of confused in some parts. but most of all a very good book to read.
Parent of a 9 and 17 year old Written bymagialuna May 7, 2011

Extremely unique and fun book. Encourages imagination. For more fun, listen to author read it.

This book is SO unique. It is the "Jungle Book" only set in a grave yard. I read it with my 9 year old. A really fun special thing to do with this book is to watch/listen to the author read it online because Neil Gaiman read one chapter at each publicity stop on his tour for this book so if you go to his website you can watch him read the entire book. He's very emotive and a wonderful to listen to. As we read the book we discussed issues that would come up--bravery, moving out on your own when you are grown, why the ghosts had different views of life (because of how much customs changed from when the different ghosts were alive), etc. This is a very engrossing fun book to read for the adventrue of the story but it also encourages imagination because it is so unique a take on what *can* happen. It was fun to have my daughter talk about "what if ..." afterward and make up little short stories of her own. There is some violence right off. However, it is not described merely you are told that it happens. So, it is left to the reader's imagination to fill in how bloody or horrible the scene is. (Which I prefer, excessive description is unnecessary.) GREAT book.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byOceanJenG January 27, 2012

I'm reading this to my 8.5 year old boy. I find myself having to explain what words mean at an average rate of 2-3 per page. He seems to like the story, we're just through chapter 3. But I do think it's above a *typical* 9 year olds comprehension level.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bytigra March 30, 2010

Excellent fantasy

Neil Gaiman is one of my favorites, and this book is no exception. It may be scary for some children, but children love being scared, and unfortunately there is a lack in options for them today. A nice thing is that the book does tell a story, but each chapter can stand on it's own as a short story
Kid, 9 years old January 3, 2014

graveyard book

Such a winner!Kids will LOVE IT!
Kid, 12 years old February 28, 2012

A MUST READ!!

After I read this book, I desperately longed for more. I have never read a book so compelling and suspenseful. It kept me up at night, and as soon as I finished it, I wished there were more pages.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette February 22, 2012

Magical!

Such a positive story! So sweet!
Teen, 13 years old Written byelreader46 October 23, 2010

perfect for halloween

For once the common sense media is wrong. this book is good, but it is also really creepy. too dark for young ones like 9 but it has a good rolemodel, but it is really violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymnsymphony June 12, 2010

Defininently not his best yet. But it's definently up there!

Awesome. A tad violent, but it is a bit too violent for little kids. Fans of Neil will NOT be disappointed. Still not his best.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGunnarman February 12, 2010

Great book for fantasy lovers!!

This book is great!! I have a good perspective on what kids whould watch out for. I really enjoyed this book because it is confusing at certain parts in a chapter, then the pieces come together and you get hyped up and want to keep reading it forever. Definitely read this!
Parent of a 4, 11, and 14 year old Written byLeMoon October 26, 2009

Chilling and captivating and wonderful!

The beginning is chilling but its part of what makes the book so powerful. Its is a great read. And funny but wonderful that the good role models are ghosts and other typically scary characters. The other alive people are who the boy has to be afraid of. Interesting perspective. Fabulous read.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymitzigee April 29, 2009

One of the best books I've read!

As an adult, I absolutely LOVED this book. Both my children (ages 9 and 7) have read it and they loved it. It has a few scary parts, but it is a wonderful book filled with exciting and imaginative characters. When the book was over, it was sad because you wanted to keep reading the story. I highly recommend any books by Neil Gaiman.
Parent of an infant year old Written byChristianKight January 18, 2009
Kid, 9 years old March 20, 2015

This book should be rated in the top 10 books of all time!

Creepy at first but it then progress's into a wonderful story!
Teen, 13 years old Written byMarina Pena December 3, 2014

Most interesting book I've ever read

This book is creepy, creative and enjoying to read, it's one of my favorite books, with an amazing story to it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucamations March 10, 2014

This is the first book that I actually wasn't ready for it to be over!

It's got a bit of violence and scariness throughout, like how the Jacks are always killin' and what not, but it's by far the BEST book I've ever read.
Teen, 14 years old Written byGhostBunny March 4, 2014

Enjoyable, non-spooky, but weak ending.

Really enjoyed this book, read it when I was around 11. I think it'd probably be appropriate for the average 9-10 yr/old. I didn't find it spooky or creepy at all, and it was a very unique book about a little boy who, after his parents are killed when he is still wearing diapers, gets adopted by ghosts and he lives in their graveyard. This book kept my interest cover to cover and I definitely enjoyed it, although Neil could've done more with Nobody's girl-friend, and Silas' character, also. Maybe more explanation on the murderer, and why his parents died. Overall, I'd still recommend this to my friends now, still.
Kid, 9 years old February 11, 2014

READ THIS BOOK!!!

Really awesome! This book interested me a lot. It has all the elements needed for a 5 star rating. Read this and all other books by Neil Gaiman.