All member reviews for The Great Gatsby

American classic captures romance, debauchery of Jazz Age.

Teen, 16 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 29, 2012

Very overrated.

There are many great American novels. One of my favorites is To Kill A Mockingbird. However this book only get interesting in the last three chapters. You may or may not enjoy this book.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAimeeCathrynX October 9, 2012

Romantics in 'The Great Gatsby'

I am studying this for a-level and although at first glance didn't think much of the book- looking at it from a wider perspective has given me the chance to think more in depth and has taught me a lot. I love mostly looking at Jay Gatsby and how is a romantic in the way this he creates this whole knew life in a desperate attempt to get back the girl he always loved. Fron the beginning he is reaching for this green light and it is just out of reach and the book as whole is about this man trying to create a past. He is obviously respected greatly by auther Fitzgerald but it ends in deady consequences- a warning from Fitgerald about how by being this type of person it doesn't always end well.
Adult Written byJEDI micah February 12, 2013

One of the worst books I've read.

This is one of those books that doesn't appeal to me. Even though it has a kinda simple story line, it is just a romantic novel straight from the garbage. Sure it's classic, but wouldn't it be more of a classic if the dialogue, characters, and story were put together more thoroughly? I wish I could go back in time to tell F. Scott Fitzgerald that!
Teen, 16 years old Written byAnnastasia December 18, 2013

Brilliant book, deserves its title as a classic

I am studying The Great Gatsby for AS level and my first read through I was not very impressed, as this book has high expectations. However, this definitely deserves a second read. The book is thin but action packed, evocative and very well written. The use of language is incredible, the commentary on the "American" dream and consumerism is interesting, and characters are so purposefully frustrating when really they accurately reflect the darker sides of human nature and our own aspirations. I don't like the way women are portrayed but I guess it goes with the time and Fitzgerald's own experiences (a lot of parallels between Daisy's character and his wife Zelda, and the forward is brilliantly biting). I particularly love Gatsby's character. Definite must-read for teenagers and adults, although I found the language a little complex and it takes some time to really appreciate. A bit of violence, only really implied sexual activity, nothing very graphic at all.
Parent Written byskier53 June 23, 2013

A Captivating Read!

F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby has captured the attention of many audiences for over half a century. His use of symbolism paints an image that many can relate to. Also, his lavish imagery, and point of view style of writing intrigues readers. Overall, what makes F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby such a fantastic book is his use of symbolism to convey relatable themes to any reader, and his captivating writing style. F. Scott Fitzgerald uses colors throughout The Great Gatsby to articulate certain themes. For example, he depicts Jay Gatsby stretching out to a green light at the end of Daisy’s dock in the beginning of the book. Green symbolizes greed; therefore, the author is drawing on the reader’s personal experience with greed, and wanting the unattainable. By playing on the readers personal experiences, the author intrigues the reader. Also, Fitzgerald’s lavish writing style attracts the attention of many readers. One of the aspirations of many people is to become rich and famous; and, that is what The Great Gatsby is all about. The author uses lavish imagery to depict the carefree, expensive life of Jay Gatsby. This style of writing draws the reader in because it is exciting, breathtaking, and there is never a dull moment. Finally, his point of view writing style captivates the reader. Nick Carraway is someone on the outside receiving a glimpse into a new world. This draws in the audience because we have all been outsiders looking in at one time. Therefore, this style of narration makes the reader feel like they are getting a glimpse of something special. All in all, The Great Gatsby is a breathtaking novel. The author’s use of symbolism to play on the reader’s emotions makes this a relatable story. Also, Fitzgerald’s use of lavish imagery and a point of view narration captures the audience. Furthermore, The Great Gatsby is a fantastic story that many people can relate to.
Teen, 15 years old Written bynerdgirl31 April 12, 2013

Must-Read for Teens

This is by far one of the most amazing books I have ever read. The only reason to keep a kid from reading this would be that it IS a bit hard to understand, as some words may have you doing a double-take. If they are intelligent and 13, however, they should be able to understand it and enjoy it. There is some violence, and the story is extremely sad, but a good sad story at that. I would recommend it to anyone age 13 or over. Not too much inappropriate material; a bit of sensuality, a lot of drinking, and some violence. A definite must-read for anyone who is 13 or older.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJesusFish May 6, 2013

Classic.

The Great Gatsby is one of the best books of all time. Very little swearing, a lot of drinking (come on, it was the 20's) and one violent scene. It might take awhile to get into, but afterwards Gatsby and Daisy's story is extremely satisfying.
Teen, 16 years old Written byAminata September 24, 2012

Good Stuff

I think this is a good place to find things out and I think all of you should check it out.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymp3peacetv January 26, 2015

Educator and Parent of a 11 year old Written byhollandh October 31, 2014

why did i love this book so much?

Mistake #1: this book is not for a 10 year old. My daughter didnt get it. Which is good because its not for a 10 year old. why did gatsby impress me so much as a teen? The characters are hollow, the plot is predictable and the tone is pretentious and mildly annoying. Maybe i outgrew it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byminecraft geek October 30, 2013

13 point of veiw

For being a 13 year old I honestly think its complex. Although it gives a better understanding of the Jazz Age I just feel it was too hard to understand.
Kid, 10 years old May 17, 2013

Amazing classic!

This book is a great book, and I enjoyed reading all of it. It does, however have a bit of foul language, plenty of violence, and a very sad ending. It does teach kids more about the 1920's though, and if your kid is mature enough then this is a must read!
Teen, 13 years old Written byjulia90878 April 27, 2013

Julia90878:)

I am 13 years old i did not enjoy this book that much. I guess it is just my opinion but there was some sexual and violent parts to it that i did not enjoy. i would recommend this book for ages 15 and up. A book that i recommend though is To Kill A Mocking Bird that book is excellent you will love it. :) hope this helps
Teen, 15 years old Written byJayyfreeMouse November 18, 2012

Critique

The Great Gatsby is one of the many novels written by F. Scott Fitzgerald This book was organized perfectly and had a beautiful and insightful storyline. I can see why this book is labeled as an American classic. Fitzgerald was billiant to have had a such an understanding of lives that are corrupted by money and greed, while others are struggling to get by. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story about the american dreams of money and true love.