All member reviews for The Great Gilly Hopkins

A great choice for reluctant readers.

Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2010

You should read it!

I'm reading it right now! It's awesome so far. I had to read it for my upcoming sixth grade.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykrazypanda June 26, 2009

My uncle gave me this book when I turned eight and i loved it. many kids would enjoy
Parent of a 12 year old Written bynancycaregiver September 12, 2010

Great for tweens and older children.

I read this book with my 12 year old son. Yes, the child in the story uses some mild profanity and she is prejudice against African-Americans in the beginning. She is also a bully in the beginning. My son understood that the girl had led a very rough life and she had become hardened because of all the foster homes she had been in. She ends up having a lot of respect for the African-American teacher she tried to annoy and a deep love for the African-American blind neighbor. She is a very bright girl and could be a good role model except for the bully issue. She ends up doing the right thing in the end. My son got the story and seemed to really enjoy it.
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2009

i love it! i can actually relate to it! i know it has some curse words i it but it's maturity. You have to be mature enough and tough enough un like my boyfriend Rashaun to read it!
Adult Written byroosevelt school November 11, 2009

Not for everyone

Mr. Kurz Per. 1 The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson is a realistic fiction novel that begins in Thompson Park, Maryland in the 1970s. Gilly, the main character, is a smart but very violent girl who is motivated to find her mother. She has been moving around as a foster child for eight years and tries to sabotage every relationship she has. Trotter, Gilly’s new foster mother, is a loving, caring person, but Gilly does not want to have anything to do with her. Two of her other disappointments at Trotter’s are her new foster brother, W.E., who she thinks may be retarded, and her blind neighbor, Mr. Randolph, who happens to be black. Slowly, throughout the book, Gilly’s feelings begin to change. After receiving a letter from Courtney, Gilly writes a letter back to her mother with false information exaggerating how unhappy she was at Trotter’s. She hopes this letter will re-unite her with Courtney; however, it drastically changes Gilly’s life in a way that she didn’t intend. The author shows how hard the life of a foster parent or child can be, being that she herself was only able to handle that responsibility for a few months. Some of the lessons that Paterson teaches through Gilly’s experiences are that life does not always have a happy ending, and people should find something positive in their lives and make the best of it. This book is realistic in that it includes real-life problems and believable characters. Clever similes and metaphors are placed throughout the story, while characterization is incorporated to keep readers gripped. Paterson effectively changes the mood and pace at which the story is read, and breaks up narration with dialogue. The writing leads readers to believe the story will go one way, when suddenly the plot takes a sudden turn. Every time a reader comes to the end of a chapter, Paterson makes them want to read more with clever foreshadowing. This book best fits a young, mature reader, but it is recommended to people who enjoy emotional, unique books. Foster children who are disappointed with their lives, could learn to make the best of it, while foster parents will be able to relate to Trotter as they probably had to deal with kids like Gilly.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 28, 2009

good but bad rolemodels.

i thought this book was awsome! but i have to admit Gilly isnt a good role model she steals things, swaers, and is someone that nobody wants to be around.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhallowen April 30, 2009

this is good but races

hi im 12 and im reding this book in school i liked it but when it got to the part about a shriveld up olde black man i new this book was races
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2013

The Horrible Hopkins

I had to read this for school. Gilly is a out of control kid sets the worst example possible for her younger foster brother. She swears on about every other page and gets in alot of fights, she even steals from a blind man and her foster mother. this book is pointless
Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2009

Okay but.....

I read it in 4th grade. Some language.
Adult Written byJen404 April 9, 2008

Great for discussion with adults, but know your kid

The main character of this book is Gilly a foster child who has been moved around a lot. She struggles with fears, anger, and feeling alone and unloved. She lies, steals, bullies other kids, is prejudiced, and uses profanity. She learns to eventually trust and love her foster family before being removed to live with her grandmother. At the end of the book, she finally meets her biological mother only to find that her mother does not love her and is not interested in living with her. This is a great book for discussion but it may be disturbing for kids reading it on their own. Ages 13+ should be fine reading this book. Ages 11-12 may or may not be okay reading it. Kids 10 and under will probably be disturbed by the themes unless they have a troubled past. My 10 year old was uncomfortable after she read it on her own. She did feel better after we discussed it. I wish we had read it together and discussed it throughout.

Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2014

gilly hopkins

i love this book it's one of the best books i've ever read i think you will love it as much as i did
Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2012

questions about gilly hopkins

why is gilly a foster kid and what is gilly real name
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 February 28, 2011

Ok book

It's an okay book. Gilly starts off as a really mean person; she beats up kids, she steals money from a blind man, and she is racist towards African-Americans. Also there's a lot of cursing. But this book does show how hard it can be to live with foster parents.
Teen, 13 years old Written byborialc September 11, 2009

umm good for 4th to 6 th graders

i think this is a good book very entertaining

I laughed out loud!

The Great Gilly Hopkins is a good book despit the language that I winced at a bit. Gilly gets sent to a foster home and absouloutly despises the mother. Gilly (or Galdriel) swears round the clock but you can laugh at how she talks. Example: Gilly says "Good god!" and the Mother looks at GIlly sternly and Gilly says "Okay, okay, I didn't say it! Hell, a girl can't even talk around here!" You don't want to laugh, but you have to! Gilly mensions Adultory once, and my Mom had to explain to me what that was. Gilly beats up other kids and has a strong hatred against blacks. She refers to the Mother (Trotter) as "A religious freak" because she is christian. Gilly teaches a little boy to fight convincing him to swear, punch and do anything to be a bad influence.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookluver101 April 9, 2008

i laughed

great gilly hopkins was the best book in the whole world. it was about a girl who has been sent to alot of foster homes. she hated all the mothers. then this one foster mother mrs.totts, i call her, is all about her kids. can gilly stand it or will she try to do something?

I read this a while ago...