All member reviews for The Great Gilly Hopkins

I laughed out loud!

The Great Gilly Hopkins is a good book despit the language that I winced at a bit. Gilly gets sent to a foster home and absouloutly despises the mother. Gilly (or Galdriel) swears round the clock but you can laugh at how she talks. Example: Gilly says "Good god!" and the Mother looks at GIlly sternly and Gilly says "Okay, okay, I didn't say it! Hell, a girl can't even talk around here!" You don't want to laugh, but you have to! Gilly mensions Adultory once, and my Mom had to explain to me what that was. Gilly beats up other kids and has a strong hatred against blacks. She refers to the Mother (Trotter) as "A religious freak" because she is christian. Gilly teaches a little boy to fight convincing him to swear, punch and do anything to be a bad influence.
Kid, 10 years old November 30, 2009

i love it! i can actually relate to it! i know it has some curse words i it but it's maturity. You have to be mature enough and tough enough un like my boyfriend Rashaun to read it!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookluver101 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 February 28, 2011

Ok book

It's an okay book. Gilly starts off as a really mean person; she beats up kids, she steals money from a blind man, and she is racist towards African-Americans. Also there's a lot of cursing. But this book does show how hard it can be to live with foster parents.
Kid, 11 years old November 21, 2009

Okay but.....

I read it in 4th grade. Some language.
Kid, 10 years old February 17, 2011

Not so good

This is a hard book to read, Gilly is races and she uses bad language consistantly, I think this is not a book for little kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykrazypanda June 26, 2009

My uncle gave me this book when I turned eight and i loved it. many kids would enjoy
Teen, 13 years old Written byborialc September 11, 2009

umm good for 4th to 6 th graders

i think this is a good book very entertaining

i laughed

great gilly hopkins was the best book in the whole world. it was about a girl who has been sent to alot of foster homes. she hated all the mothers. then this one foster mother mrs.totts, i call her, is all about her kids. can gilly stand it or will she try to do something?
Teen, 13 years old Written byhallowen April 30, 2009

this is good but races

hi im 12 and im reding this book in school i liked it but when it got to the part about a shriveld up olde black man i new this book was races
Kid, 11 years old July 17, 2010

You should read it!

I'm reading it right now! It's awesome so far. I had to read it for my upcoming sixth grade.

I read this a while ago...

Kid, 9 years old January 21, 2012

questions about gilly hopkins

why is gilly a foster kid and what is gilly real name
Kid, 11 years old May 17, 2014

gilly hopkins

i love this book it's one of the best books i've ever read i think you will love it as much as i did
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2013

The Horrible Hopkins

I had to read this for school. Gilly is a out of control kid sets the worst example possible for her younger foster brother. She swears on about every other page and gets in alot of fights, she even steals from a blind man and her foster mother. this book is pointless