All teen and kid member reviews for The Handmaid's Tale

Teen, 17 years old Written byaleea03 August 19, 2013

Give It A Go!

This is one of the books we had to read for the second year if our English Literature A-Level so I bought it and read it straight away. At first, the ambiguity as to what is actually happening and the constant flashbacks can be a little confusing and I personally think that if you quite easily give in on reading a book if you aren't captured right away, then this may be a difficult book to finish. I'm the sort of person who will finish a book once started and I'm really glad I did because it's a brilliant, thought provoking story which once you get into, you will demand to know the end of. I would definitely encourage anyone 16 and onwards to give this book a chance because it manages to make you think whilst also being an incredible story.
Kid, 12 years old January 13, 2015

Thoughts on the Dystopia

The Handmaid's Tale is a gripping tale of a dystopian society based on the Old Testament. Thanks to this, this society heavily discriminates against women. This book is very good. Lovers of speculative fiction will love thinking about why the women are oppressed in this book. However, there are two sex scenes, (one more graphic than the other) a brothel, multiple uses of cigarettes, and people being discriminated/killed for their religion/sexuality. If you know your kid can handle this book, then let them read it. Otherwise, I'd recommend it for older audiences.
Teen, 17 years old Written by_____________ August 29, 2015